× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6220 wireless misbehaving

rjonesq
Aspirant

R6220 wireless misbehaving

I have having no end of frustrations with my router. I should say that it was working perfectly for months, but suddenly these new problems have started arising.

Here are my devices:

* Netgear R6220 wireless router

* HP8710 Wireless all-in-one-printer

* Dell XPS-15 laptop

My router seems to work just fine for all *wired* devices. My HP8710 printer is connected to the router wirelessly. It shows up as a "connected device" and it looks like it is communicating with the router fine, but there are suspicious things happening.

My Dell laptop can connect to the internet just fine through the router, whether I'm connected by ethernet or connected wirelessly. HOWEVER, if I connect wirelessly, I can no longer access the router's configuration web page (site cannot be reached), the NetGear Genie can no longer reach the router, and ReadyShare vault can no longer find the ReadyShare hard drive.  All of these things work fine if I am connected by ethernet to the router. But if I connect via WiFi, I can still connect to everything on the internet, but none of these other things work.

Now here's the additional complicating issue. If I connect via WiFi to the router, my laptop can see and print to the HP printer. However, if I connect by ethernet to the router, the HP printer can no longer be found...it shows up as "offline".  The printer is *clearly* not offline, because other computers can still see and print to the printer.  So what the heck is going on?

Right now I have to be connected by ethernet to be able to configure the router and to use the ReadyShare vault backup system, but I have to be connected by WiFi to be able to use the printer.  It *used* to be that I could do everything just fine when I connected via WiFi, and I have no idea what changed. All ideas welcome!

Model: R6220|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: R6220 wireless misbehaving

Hi @rjonesq,

Thank you for the update. Please try re-flashing the firmware then do factory reset and see if the issue will persist when using the default configuration (without restoring your config file).

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @rjonesq,

1. What is the firmware version of the router?

2. Please make sure that the devices are not connected to the guest network if it is enabled.

3. Does the issue persist on your other wirelessly connected computers?

4. Have you tried resetting the router?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 8
rjonesq
Aspirant

1. The firmware version is V1.1.0.34_1.0.1.  The update tool says this is the most up to date verison.

2. The guest network is not enabled (it has *never* been enabled) and nothing is connected to it. However I do agree that the devices are *acting* like they are isolated on the guest network. I discovered that if I connect to the 5GHz network, I can see and connect to wired devices. However, if I connect to the 2.4GHz network, I have the problems described above. The reason my laptop could talk to my printer was that my printer can only connect to the 2.4GHz network. If I connect my laptop to the 5GHz network, I can connect to the router but not to the printer. If I connect my laptop to the 2.4GHz network, I can connect to the printer but not to the router or any other wired devices. I can connect to the *internet* with both options.

3. Yes, I am having the same issue with every wirelessly connected device. None of my laptops can connect to the Netgear Genie on the 2.4GHz network.

4. I tried resetting the router today. I saved my settings first then restored them after the reset. There has been no change in the behavior. I still cannot connect to the router if I am on the 2.4GHz connection, and I still cannot connect to my printer if I am on a wired connection or a 5GHz connection.

Message 3 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @rjonesq,

Thank you for the update. Please try re-flashing the firmware then do factory reset and see if the issue will persist when using the default configuration (without restoring your config file).

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 8
rjonesq
Aspirant

That seems to have helped.  Here are the steps I went through.

* I downloaded the latest firmware and re-flashed it.

* I verified that this did nothing to solve the problem.

* I did a factory reset using the reset button on the back of the router.

* I let the genie set up the internet connection

* I manually configured the wireless setup

* I did not apply *any* of my other previous settings

* It looks like everything is fully connected now. I tested that I can reach the printer *and* the Netgear Genie via ethernet, 2.4GHz, and 5GHz. 

* The only thing I've notice is that Windows Homegroup computers can no longer see each other, but I assume that is a different problem to debug. As far as I can tell my connection problems have been resolved. I guess we'll never know what was causing the problem...hopefully it won't come back!

Thanks for the help!

Message 5 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @rjonesq,

Thank you for the update and confirmation. Glad to know you got it working.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 8
golliday7
Aspirant

I have a AC1200 Smart WiFi router with External Antennas Model R6220.  I wanna know how to hook up my printer and my roku to this.  Sounds like a dumb question but i am having a problem getting this resolved.  Need your help.

Thanks  Dale

Model: R6220|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 7 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @golliday7,

You can consult the respective user manual of the printer and Roku for the steps on how to connect them to the network. It is important that you know the wireless setting of the router if you are looking to connect them via wireless.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7