× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6220 with firmware at V1.1.0.114_1.0.1 does not let 5.0GHz wireless traffic through

energon
Aspirant

R6220 with firmware at V1.1.0.114_1.0.1 does not let 5.0GHz wireless traffic through

Only lets 2.4GHz traffic through

The wifi router was letting 5.0GHz traffic through for quite some time after the firmware upgrade.

But has stopped doing this since a couple of days.

Any suggestions or solutions to get this working again ?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
energon
Aspirant

Re: R6220 with firmware at V1.1.0.114_1.0.1 does not let 5.0GHz wireless traffic through

The problem was resolved by:

1. switching from the Balanced power profile to Performance power profile in Fedora 36
  2. turning off Automatic Power Saver

In short, avoiding power saving restored laptop wifi operations to normal.

It still a surprise how my 2.4 GHz wifi network band was working all along.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies

Re: R6220 with firmware at V1.1.0.114_1.0.1 does not let 5.0GHz wireless traffic through

@energon wrote:

What does that mean?

What are you doing and where does it go wrong?

Routers don't "let traffic through". They send and receive it. Which bit isn't working for you?

This bit raises another question:

The wifi router was letting 5.0GHz traffic through for quite some time after the firmware upgrade.

But has stopped doing this since a couple of days.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Have you a "reset and reconfigure" move?

Message 2 of 6
energon
Aspirant

Thanks for the prompt response.

However, after digging a bit deeper, I suspect that the problem is most probably related to the WiFi Driver at my Laptop end rather than at the router end.

Will update this thread when things improve.

Message 3 of 6

@energon wrote:

However, after digging a bit deeper, I suspect that the problem is most probably related to the WiFi Driver at my Laptop end rather than at the router end.

Indeed, it is hard to see how a router can bring a laptop to its knees.

One thing to look out for is the chipset drivers that come with most laptops and on-board wifi chips.

Windows update will not find those. The laptop maker may also not have the latest from the chip maker.

You may have to chase down the food chain until you get the latest drivers.

Over the years, Intel has been especially troublesome on that front.

Message 4 of 6
energon
Aspirant

The problem was resolved by:

1. switching from the Balanced power profile to Performance power profile in Fedora 36
  2. turning off Automatic Power Saver

In short, avoiding power saving restored laptop wifi operations to normal.

It still a surprise how my 2.4 GHz wifi network band was working all along.

Message 5 of 6

Nice detective work there. Good to learn that it had nothing to do with your Netgear router.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7