× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6220

KTxBob
Follower

R6220

I'm updating my wireless network and want to be sure before I shoot myself in the foot.  I currently have a R6220 as my main router.  It is connected to my modem and to a netgear GS108 Switch for various wired components on my network.  I am upgrading to a TP-Link TP-Link Archer AX50 AX3000 Wireless Dual-Band Gigabit RouterWireless Dual-Band Gigabit Router.  I thought I'd put my R6220 on the other side of the Switch to boost wireless network strength at that end of the house.  From what I've read, the R6220 "doesn't support extender/repeater mode" even though the Advanced menu has  Wireless Repeating Function option.  What would be the best solution?  I can run a wire from the TP-Link to the R6220 but it would be much easier to run one from the switch. Do I need to just go with AP mode?  I'm assuming that the R6220's limitations won't affect the rest of the network which I'm upgrading to WiFi 6.  Everything that connects to it will run WiFi 5, right?

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: R6220

You can run the wire from the switch or from the router. Either will work fine. You just need the R6220 in access point mode. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: R6220

You can run the wire from the switch or from the router. Either will work fine. You just need the R6220 in access point mode. 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7