× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6230 GUI log on requiring me to create a Netgear account to proceed

cep10189
Aspirant

R6230 GUI log on requiring me to create a Netgear account to proceed

I have done this dozens of times with previous models.
I go through the manual configuration, I put all the settings how I want them.
As soon as I connect the Internet port I am unable to log on. It keeps redirecting me to setup a Netgear account.
I have updated the firmware.
Does not happen on the R6220 or WNR2000 models.
Why do I require a Netgear account to log on to my local device?

Device: R6230, FW Ver:1.1.0.110_1.01, Static Internet IP, Static DNS, Use as DHCP, Wireless Network: On, Guest Network: Off

Model: R6230|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 9

Re: R6230 GUI log on requiring me to create a Netgear account to proceed

@cep10189 wrote:

Why do I require a Netgear account to log on to my local device?

You don't.

What are you doing when this happens?

How are you approaching the router?

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Message 2 of 9
cep10189
Aspirant

I am attempting to log on to the device using Firefox or Chrome or Edge and the LAN IP address which is the Gateway address my Windows laptop is assigned.  It doesn't matter if I am on the Wireless Network or directly connected to one of the LAN Ports.

During the manual setup of the R6230, I connect using Firefox and the LAN IP address, so I know it works.  Once I connect the Internet Port it starts redirecting me to the screen shot I have attached.  I create an account, sign on and then I can access the R6230.

I don't understand why it is making me create this account.  It makes it seem like it is tied into Netgear now, and that doesn't seem right.

Message 3 of 9

@cep10189 wrote:

I am attempting to log on to the device using Firefox or Chrome or Edge and the LAN IP address which is the Gateway address my Windows laptop is assigned. 

I don't get that bit. Why are you using the Gateway address your Windows laptop is assigned? Assigned by what?

Start at the beginning.

Your subject says "GUI log on".

If you want to login to the browser graphical user interface (GUI). There are two ways in:

Is that what you are doing?

If you try to access the address of your Windows laptop, then you are trying to access the laptop, not the router.

@cep10189 wrote:

Once I connect the Internet Port it starts redirecting me to the screen shot I have attached. 

What does "connect the Internet Port" mean?

This is all very confusing.

In your first message you say "Static Internet IP". Is that because your Internet service provider has allocated you to a particular IP address on the Internet? As the manual says "this setting is rare". Or is this some other static address on your local network?

What is the modem, if there is one, in front of thbis router?

Message 4 of 9
cep10189
Aspirant

I apologize for the confusion.  I will do the best I can.

When I am connected to the Netgear R6230 either through wireless or wired and when I issue the command ipconfig on my Windows Computer I am given an IPv4 Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway.  That helps me verify I am connected to the Netgear R6230 which has an IP Address of 192.168.1.1.

On the back of the Netgear R6230 it does identify as the "Internet" port. (1 Internet and 4 LAN Ports).

For this particular instance I do have static IP addresses assigned by my ISP.

On the other end of the Internet port is a Comcast modem.

Also please know that if I put a Netgear WNR2000 v5 with the same configuration settings (identical IP Addresses for Internet and LAN) instead of the Netgear R6230 everything works and I am not redirected to create a Netgear Account.

Message 5 of 9

@cep10189 wrote:

When I am connected to the Netgear R6230 either through wireless or wired and when I issue the command ipconfig on my Windows Computer I am given an IPv4 Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway.  That helps me verify I am connected to the Netgear R6230 which has an IP Address of 192.168.1.1.

There is no need to mess around with things like ipconfig. That has nothing to do with your laptop. It is the IP address of your router. The laptop will have its own IP address assigned by the router.

@cep10189 wrote:

On the other end of the Internet port is a Comcast modem.

What is that modem? The model number?

The way to set up your R6230 is described in the manual. (Link above.) The section Use the Internet Setup Wizard
is a good place to start. In your case, with the fixed IP address, the section Manually Set Up the Internet Connection
might be more useful

If you are playing around with different routers in your network, you can run into problems. If you do that then you should follow this:

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 6 of 9
cep10189
Aspirant

Thank you for taking the time.

Why does it think I need a Netgear account to setup my Router.

Nothing has given me an answer as to why I receive the message when I plug the Netgear R6230 into the Internet.

When I put in the following in a browser https:192.168.1.1 the URL I am redirected to is https://192.168.1.1/setup.cgi?next_file=BRS_sso_fail.html&timestamp=16421

(and this message word for word)

Netgear account required

You must log in to create a NETGEAR account during installation. If you already created a NETGEAR account, click the Try again button, and then click the Log in here link on the Create Account page. If you do not have a NETGEAR account click the Try again button to create your NETGEAR account.

Message 7 of 9

@cep10189 wrote:

Why does it think I need a Netgear account to setup my Router.

It doesn't. If that was essential there would be many more messages here about this issue.

I suspect that you are doing something wrong. Hnce my questions.

For example, this doesn't make sense.

@cep10189 wrote:

...  when I plug the Netgear R6230 into the Internet.

What do you mean by that? What are you doing?

You don't plug the R6230 into the Internet. You plug the R6230 into a modem – we still don't know what that modem is – that you have already set up to connect to the Internet. But you have to do this in the right way.

I have told you where to look for the correct way of setting up a router. You have just come back with exactly the same question – answered already – that you asked in your first messages.

If you have just bought this R6230 then you have 90 days of free support that is intended to get you through the setup process.

Message 8 of 9
cep10189
Aspirant

I invite you to purchase one of these NETGEAR R6230 devices and check it for yourself.

I am not crazy and I have had 3 other individuals look this over and walk through the setup with me.

I have 3 of these devices in my possession and they all do the same thing, whether I set it up choosing the "Manual" Setup option or the "Genie" option.  Same result I have to setup or log in to a Netgear account.

Once I enter or create an account that is required to continue, everything works.

My initial question still stands however I will modify the wording to better reflect the issue.

"Why am I required to set up (or log on with) a Netgear account to configure my Netgear R6230 device?"

So the key takeway is if you are using a static IP Address you might have to create a Netgear account to use the device.

Thank you and best of luck.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7