× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6230 only getting below 200M speed

poslab
Aspirant

R6230 only getting below 200M speed

I bought R6230 two years ago, my internet speed got upgrade recently to 900M. From the setting of R6230, 5G is up to 867M. 

I connected a cable to R6230, it can get 600M, that means my Modem works well, the router already got that speed, just wifi issue.

Already turned off access control,  QoS, did factory reset, nothing works.  

I understand it wouldn't reach 867M, but it is always below 200M, should it be at least 300M? Feels like something wrong.

Can anyone give me some help? 

Thank you very much!

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: R6230 only getting below 200M speed

The Ookla application is installed from the Play Store.  It is not part of a GUI or a web address where you use a browser.

On a good day for Wi-Fi, the 2.4 GHz band will deliver 125+ Mbps to average devices.  Similarly, the 5 GHz band will deliver 300+ Mbps to average devices.  The numbers in the router configuration page are theoretical link capacity.  They are not real world actual.

Make sure the devices you are running the tests from have the most recent device drivers installed.

Next you could experiment with different channel numbers in the bands.  Disable Auto channel selection and select channel 11 in the 2.4 GHz band and channel 48 in the 5 GHz band.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

Disable Smart Connect in Advanced -> Setup -> Wireless Setup.

Provide separate SSID names for the 2.4 GHz band and the 5 GHz band.  This way you can tell which one you are connecting to.

You may find disabling 20/40 MHz coexistence on the 2.4 GHz band is beneficial.  Try it both ways.

Install the Ookla native operating system application for capacity testing.

Please identify the manufacturer and model number of your upstream modem/ONT.  Is there a chance it is a combination device with a router?

Make sure your cables are Cat 5e or Cat 6.

If you pay for 900 Mbps download you should get 900 Mbps download at your modem.

You originally posted this in the Nighthawk section.  That is where I wrote my answer.  The R6230 is not part of the Nighthawk line and your settings may be in different sections.

Message 2 of 6
poslab
Aspirant

@Kitsap Thank you for the response. 

I did the first two already.  Different SSID name and disabled 20/40 MHz coexistence.  Nothing changed. 

The modem I have is ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 DOCSIS 3.0 32 x 8 Gigabit Cable Modem | 1 Gbps Port | 800 Mbps Max Internet Speeds. 

The max speed is 800M. 

If I connect my laptop to R6230 with a cable directly (not sure if that Cat 5 or 6), I can get 600M from laptop, I think that means Modem or cable is not the problem?  Seems R6230 has got 600M speed from Modem, it just cannot send it as similar speed by wifi. 

What is Ookla native operating system application? I tested the speed from Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test, also Nighthawk app. 

Thanks!

Message 3 of 6
Kitsap
Master

The Ookla application is installed from the Play Store.  It is not part of a GUI or a web address where you use a browser.

On a good day for Wi-Fi, the 2.4 GHz band will deliver 125+ Mbps to average devices.  Similarly, the 5 GHz band will deliver 300+ Mbps to average devices.  The numbers in the router configuration page are theoretical link capacity.  They are not real world actual.

Make sure the devices you are running the tests from have the most recent device drivers installed.

Next you could experiment with different channel numbers in the bands.  Disable Auto channel selection and select channel 11 in the 2.4 GHz band and channel 48 in the 5 GHz band.

Message 4 of 6

@Kitsap wrote:

The numbers in the router configuration page are theoretical link capacity.  They are not real world actual.

Oh so true.Wifi speeds and Internet speeds are different animals.

It is surprising how many people think their wifi should break the laws of physics.

@poslab might enjoy a bit of background reading.

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

Especially the bit about your client device.

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

Message 5 of 6
Kitsap
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

Oh so true.Wifi speeds and Internet speeds are different animals.

It is surprising how many people think their wifi should break the laws of physics.

@poslabmight enjoy a bit of background reading.

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

Especially the bit about your client device.

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

I fully agree.  A little education and understanding never hurts!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7