R6250 - 5g dropping, DHCP stopping, but wait - there is MORE!

Bigjohn-S
Aspirant

R6250 - 5g dropping, DHCP stopping, but wait - there is MORE!

Firmware Version V1.0.4.36_10.1.30 - newest

So here's the thing.

I have to reboot this router constantly.  After about a day, the 5G starts being wierd - my phone or tablet will say " internet unavailable on xxxx5g", it will fall back to 2.4G and it all works, but the phone wants / prefers 5G and so it switches back... only to again say (maybe half an hour later...) that the internet is not available.

Sometimes I can 'fix' the wi-fi problem, for a while, by going to advanced settings and turning off both radios for a while, then turn them back on - but this can cause oddities as well...

Then some days later, DHCP will stop working.  Just stop. This is noticed on both Wired and wi-Fi connections.  So the router has to be rebooted.

And if I fix the wi-fi by stopping and starting the radios, half the time the DLNA/USB device becomes unaccessible...

So Netgear - WHAT!?

Model: R6250|Smart WiFi Router (AC1600)
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: R6250 - 5g dropping, DHCP stopping, but wait - there is MORE!

You do have the newest firmware!  Good work Smiley Happy 

Firmware can get corrupted though. You can try reloading the firmware with either the same or you could try downgrading a version, do a reset of the device after uploading it, and restart fresh.  Make sure to do so over an ethernet connection. Not saying this will work but its worth a shot if your firmware is behaving erratically.

How old is the device? 

Another thing to check is there are 2 versions of the r6250. Make sure you have the correct firmware for your version. I'll post a link for version 1 and you can use the drop down on the page for version 2 if thats what you have.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r6250.aspx

Current Setup: CM2000-> SXK30-> GS716v2-> Arris W31 x2-> Pi-hole->
Message 2 of 5
Bigjohn-S
Aspirant

The Firmware was updated via the firmware "get update" method, so I'm pretty dang sure that it's the right stuff.
This problem has existed since I got the device, and I had hoped that the upgrade of firmware would fix the problem.  The device is a year or so old.

I use a lot of static IP mappings - so I'm not going to reset this thing just to "see if it might" fix the problem.  The forums are rife with similar issues, so it's something native to the firmware or the hardware itself.  Was hoping that someone at Netgear might be watching the forums, and might be aware / working on it...

Model: R6250|Smart WiFi Router (AC1600)
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

@Bigjohn-S wrote:

The Firmware was updated via the firmware "get update" method, so I'm pretty dang sure that it's the right stuff.
This problem has existed since I got the device, and I had hoped that the upgrade of firmware would fix the problem.  The device is a year or so old.

I use a lot of static IP mappings - so I'm not going to reset this thing just to "see if it might" fix the problem.  The forums are rife with similar issues, so it's something native to the firmware or the hardware itself.  Was hoping that someone at Netgear might be watching the forums, and might be aware / working on it...

The forums are "rife with similar issues" because this is where people go for help when their device don't work right. You don't hear about the ones that work right. I had a r6250 and a family member has it now. Its worked great and I haven't had issues with it. I've never trusted the auto update feature a whole lot on my older devices and you can believe "its the right stuff" but you continue to have issues. If you're not willing to try steps to fix the problem, its not going to get better.  there's even the option of doing a backup of your device to backup settings and configuration for doing a reset. 

You can try the steps I listed or you can look to other firmware. Myopenrouter.com has builds for the R6250 that supposedly work fairly decent if you'd like to go that route.

I also hate to be that guy but this was produced in 2013. There's been updates to it but they're usually minor updates/security updates at this point. Not saying its a for sure deal but I'd believe that their firmware team is going to be fixing current device problems.  

Current Setup: CM2000-> SXK30-> GS716v2-> Arris W31 x2-> Pi-hole->
Message 4 of 5
Bigjohn-S
Aspirant

I'll go the backup and reinstall firmware route... this weekend possibly.
I have used Tomato in the past and liked it. In fact it's running on the old netgear downstairs that's serving as a 2.4ghz access point in my basement.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements