× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6250 Face plate affects cpu temperature

junyan2000
Tutor

R6250 Face plate affects cpu temperature

Today I took off the cover (face plate) of my Netgear R6250, and the cpu temperature dropped 8 degrees, from 79C to 71C. What can be the explanation?

The router is already full of holes on the back, where the heat sinks are, air flow can hardly be the problem.

If I drill some holes on the cover, and put it back on, will there still be the same temperature reduction? I am not doing any active cooling, e.g.,  add a usb fan.

Model: R6250|Smart WiFi Router (AC1600)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: R6250 Face plate affects cpu temperature

Seems a bit hot. From my recall (and the devices I currently have on) I sit around 50-60C.

that device might be on its way out as temperature is the death of electronics 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

face place as in the while front of it ?
that exposes a lot more airflow over the unit. Of course it'll be cooler. 

Message 2 of 6
junyan2000
Tutor

Thanks for the explanation.

Today the R6250 is running at 85C with cover on. Is this normal temperature, or is this cause for concern?

The increase is probably due to warmer room temperature. So in summer the router may get even hotter, perhaps reaching 90C.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Seems a bit hot. From my recall (and the devices I currently have on) I sit around 50-60C.

that device might be on its way out as temperature is the death of electronics 

Message 4 of 6
junyan2000
Tutor

Thanks, plemans.

I don't think 50-60C is realistic for router CPUs. Nowadays a desktop CPU or a hard drive runs at that temperature.

I will let the R6250 run at 80C idle and see how long it lasts. This is a $13 eBay purchase and I was expecting an item in a lot better condition.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

One can install a USB laptop fan cooler under a router for additional forced are cooling. I've done this for years on my routers I use. Help keep them cooler and HW lasts longer. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7