× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6250 does not persist ddns

geoBrooks
Aspirant

R6250 does not persist ddns

A free ddns account has been created at NoIP, port forwarding configured at the router and the NoIP account credentials and dns name entered in Advanced Setup, Dynamin DNS. The firewall has been configured to allow port 80 traffic. With this setup it is possible to connect to the dns name. However, the window for making a connection is short lived - less than 5 minutes.

Refreshing NoIP has no effect. Their port check tool shows the port is not open. Only after clicking on Apply at the router's Dynamin DNS screen will the port open. I suspect that the port remains open only until my router login times out.

How to keep the port open?

Model: R6250|Smart WiFi Router (AC1600)
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
geoBrooks
Aspirant

Re: R6250 does not persist ddns

Doumo arigatou gozaimasu

Especially for all of your valuable time. I believe the issue is just now resolved. The problem was using my wireless adapter as a bridge to a virtual machine. It took me a couple of days to think of stringing a long cable to the router to see what might happen. When I looked at adapter properties I saw that the wireless was offline. No wonder the port was down. Lesson learned. Hardwire from now on.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 19

All Replies
geoBrooks
Aspirant

What is the value of the router's NoIP Advanced Setup, Dynamin DNS setup? By turning it off the port appears to remain open! I could find no mention of that screen in the online manual. But I figured it was required. Looks like not.

Message 2 of 19
schumaku
Guru

@geoBrooks wrote:

A free ddns account has been created at NoIP, port forwarding configured at the router and the NoIP account credentials and dns name entered in Advanced Setup, Dynamin DNS.

Not convinced the port 80/TCP can be used for port forwarding - even if 80/TCP might be available - the Netgear router design migth have some shortcomings. Your observations with the admin access seems to confirm.

@geoBrooks wrote:

The firewall has been configured to allow port 80 traffic.

Where/how do you have access to firewall rules for WAN/Internet->LAN/port-forwarding? There is no such thing on the Netgear conumer routers. Only a service blocking is available - to restrict LAN->WAN/Internet services. Silly but true.

Message 3 of 19
geoBrooks
Aspirant

I assume that offering to forward incoming port 80 means that the router is capable of doing such. After all, it has demonstrated that it can. So I'd like to know why you are not convinced it can be used that way.

What I did not describe was that the IP address to which traffic is forwarded is a bridge to a virtual machine. That's the reason for mentioning the firewall - it's conceivable that it could block traffic to the VM. Altho' my test of that was that adding the rule made no difference in performance.

It remains unclear whether the router or No-IP is causing the time out. It is clear to me, at least, that clicking on the apply button does enable traffic to pass if just prior to the click the connection times out.

Message 4 of 19
schumaku
Guru

Because I know that other more advanced router models (like the R9000) block 443/TCP for port forwarding as long as it's in use for the LAN side management - even if a different https port is active on the WAN/Internet.  And yes, 443/TCP is offered for port forwarding, too. Even UPnP PMP requests appear to be handled, kind of.

So confirm the firewall you talk of is part of the VM platform or of the VM - but not on the R6250?

@geoBrooks wrote:

It remains unclear whether the router or No-IP is causing the time out. It is clear to me, at least, that clicking on the apply button does enable traffic to pass if just prior to the click the connection times out.

It's not No-IP ... the DDNS service will keep the name-to-IPv4 certainly longer than five minutes. 

Beyond what you experience - that's the fishy part I have in mind. Test with a different, non-stanard port, e.g. 81/TCP to compare.

Message 5 of 19
geoBrooks
Aspirant

Firewall is Norton Security. Host is Windows 10 Pro1903, VM in Hyper-V.

My latest theory: there may be a possible conflict between the R6250's ddns updating and the No-IP updating service. I just learned that the No-IP service is not required if the router says it can do it.

I'm now experimenting with each service to see if anything can allow connecting after more than five minutes.

Message 6 of 19
schumaku
Guru

@geoBrooks wrote:

My latest theory: there may be a possible conflict between the R6250's ddns updating and the No-IP updating service. I just learned that the No-IP service is not required if the router says it can do it.

Don't run theories - the router won't update any DDNS service unless the IP address does change, or the service requires a refresh - look up the DDNS name by dig or nslookup or whatever utility and compare its returned A record - the IPv4 address the client would connect to. No rocket science.

Last but not least, are you testing from the same local [W]LAN or from another independent Internet connection, too?

Message 7 of 19
geoBrooks
Aspirant

Testing from local. It appears to correlate wit No-IP's port check. Mistake?

Message 8 of 19
geoBrooks
Aspirant

I'm now officially stumped - if my IP address has not changed and no updating service is running, why would No-IP's port check tool show the port is blocked? Nothing was done at my end.

Message 9 of 19
schumaku
Guru

While one would assume that the routers porperly suppot NAT loopback ... we never know, also test from a real remote.

Is the public IP address as shown on the port check the same (non-carrier grade NAT) IP address as seen on the Advanced -> Internet port info?

Message 10 of 19
geoBrooks
Aspirant

Port check tool shows same address as appears in Basic as well as when I Google for my IP.

Message 11 of 19
geoBrooks
Aspirant

Test results:

All times Pacific Daylight Time

Public IP = 174.83.229.xxx

Using No-IP port check tool

initial conditions:

• port blocked
  • No-IP service Stopped in services.msc
  • router update service on in Advanced DDNS

t = 12:44: port open

t = 12:50: port blocked

t = 12:51 turned off router update service => port open

t = 12:57: port open!

t = 1:03: port blocked!

Message 12 of 19
antinode
Guru

> [...] port forwarding configured at the router [...]

Actual port-forwarding rule?  Copy+paste is your friend.

> [...] With this setup it is possible to connect to the dns name. [...]

What, exactly, does that mean?  "connect" how, from what, to what?
Are you using a web browser on some system, some place, with some URL?

> [...] However, the window for making a connection is short lived -
> less than 5 minutes.

What's the actual error message you get when you do whatever you're
doing?

> [...] I suspect that the port remains open only until my router login
> times out.

Huh?  "my router login"?

[D]DNS and port-forwarding are not closely related.  Are you trying
to find a DDNS problem, or a port-forwarding problem, or what?

> [...] the IP address to which traffic is forwarded is a bridge to a
> virtual machine. [...]

Some actual details might help that to make more sense.

> [...] Host is Windows 10 Pro1903, VM in Hyper-V. [...]

What's the LAN IP address of this system (where, I assume, your web
server is running)?

> Public IP = 174.83.229.xxx

Forget [D]DNS.  Can you access your web server from a system on your
LAN at the LAN IP address of the VM?  At the WAN/Internet IP address of
the router?  If not, then no amount of any kind of DNS will matter.

> Not convinced the port 80/TCP can be used for port forwarding [...]

I've had no trouble with my D7000[v1], or, before that, with my
DGN2200[v1].

Message 13 of 19
schumaku
Guru

That's all still on port 80/TCP ? Try an alternate port like 81/TCP.

Message 14 of 19
geoBrooks
Aspirant

An interesting idea. I've configured forwarding duch that port 81 is forwarded to 81 & modified Apache to listen to 81. Tested the VM internally & it's launching the site on 81. The port check tool initially showed that 81 was open.  After about 7 minutes port check showed  it closed. The public IP has not changed.

Message 15 of 19
geoBrooks
Aspirant

Several (5?) minutes later port check says it is open!

Message 16 of 19
geoBrooks
Aspirant

And then is closed. The No-IP service has been running and is now off. Port remains closed.

Message 17 of 19
geoBrooks
Aspirant

Doumo arigatou gozaimasu

Especially for all of your valuable time. I believe the issue is just now resolved. The problem was using my wireless adapter as a bridge to a virtual machine. It took me a couple of days to think of stringing a long cable to the router to see what might happen. When I looked at adapter properties I saw that the wireless was offline. No wonder the port was down. Lesson learned. Hardwire from now on.

Message 18 of 19
antinode
Guru

> [...] The problem was [...]

So, nothing whatsoever to do with [D]DNS?

> [...] Lesson learned. Hardwire from now on.

That's one possible lesson, but hardly the most important one, I
claim.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7