× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6250 router seems to be slowing down my internet connection

Agolz12
Aspirant

R6250 router seems to be slowing down my internet connection

Hi I have a R6250 router with the V1.0.4.2_10.1.10 firmware. I have been noticing a slow internet connection and I think I have the problem pinned down to the router. I plugged in directly to the modem and was getting around 60 MBPS. When I ran the speed test using wifi, my speed drops dramatically, I get anywhere from 1.5 MBPS to 10 when it is working best. Once in a while I can get up to 25 MBPS. I have  tried replacing the cord between the modem and the router, I changed channels, and I reset the router. None of those seemed to make a huge difference. I realize my wifi won't be as fast as a wired connection but this seems ridiculous. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Agolz12
Aspirant

Re: R6250 router seems to be slowing down my internet connection

I got the problem fixed. I got a new router from my internet service provider, they gave me a R6300 and I experienced the exact same problem. I had a tech come out and he hooked up an older Netgear WNDR 3800 router and it solved my issues, I'm now getting the speed I should be through WIFI. I believe it was a problem with the R6000 series, maybe a firmware issue?

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That router should be capable of providing the full ISP rate of 60Mbps depending on the capabilities of the client WiFi devices.

Can you please post details of your modem, manufacturer and model number? If the modem is a DSL type then it may be necessary to reduce the MTU setting for the router, e.g. 1492 or lower (1400 or 1350).

Message 2 of 12
Agolz12
Aspirant

My modem is a Ubee U10C035. It's  a cable modem provideded by the ISP

Message 3 of 12
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Agolz12,

1. Does the issue affect all wireless devices?

2. What speed are you getting from the devices that are wired to the router?

3. Does the issue happen on both bands (2.4GHz and 5GHz)?

4. have you tried changing the MTU?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 12
Agolz12
Aspirant

1. it affects all wireless devices

2. I'm getting roughly the same speeds when wired to router or through router wifi.

3. I don't think my wireless card supports 5 mhz

4. I tried dropping the MTU to 1400 and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Message 5 of 12
Agolz12
Aspirant

Here's a new strange layer to this whole problem. I've noticed that between 5-6 each night the wifi almost grinds to a halt. I was clocking less than 1 MBPS through the wifi, when I plugged straigh into the modem I got 60 MBPS. I used Wifi Analyzer and didn't see anything new on the channels and I don't believe any new sources of interference were introduced at that time. 

Message 6 of 12
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Agolz12,

I recommend performing a firmware re-flash then reset and reconfigure the router. You may refer to the links below for the steps.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team
Message 7 of 12
Agolz12
Aspirant

I tried a reset and reinstalling the firmware, the problem persists.

Message 8 of 12
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Agolz12,

Try checking for the optimal MTU value then change it to that and please check if it makes a difference. You may refer to the link below for the steps.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19863

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 9 of 12
Agolz12
Aspirant

I came back with 1500 which is what my router is set at. Thanks for the help by the way, this is driving me crazy!

Message 10 of 12
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Agolz12,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 11 of 12
Agolz12
Aspirant

I got the problem fixed. I got a new router from my internet service provider, they gave me a R6300 and I experienced the exact same problem. I had a tech come out and he hooked up an older Netgear WNDR 3800 router and it solved my issues, I'm now getting the speed I should be through WIFI. I believe it was a problem with the R6000 series, maybe a firmware issue?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7