R6260 router

rskautzman
Aspirant

R6260 router

Green power light flashing WiFi not working. I unplugged both modem and router several times but no luck
Message 1 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Re: R6260 router

User manual says "Blinking green. A firmware update is in progress. "  ... would be interesting to learn what happened. Had just attempted to update foe router firmware, e.g. using the Nighthawk App before?

Further on, the same fine uer manual http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6260/R6260_UM_EN.pdf does show Troubleshooting, p.165 ff.

===

Troubleshoot With the LEDs
Power LED Is Off or Blinking
This could occur for a number of reasons. Check the following:
• Make sure that the power adapter is securely connected to your router and securely connected to a
working power outlet.
• Make sure that you are using the power adapter that NETGEAR supplied for this product.
• If the Power LED blinks slowly and continuously, the router firmware is corrupted. This can happen if a
firmware update is interrupted, or if the router detects a problem with the firmware. If the error persists,
it is likely that a hardware problem exists. For recovery instructions, or help with a hardware problem,
contact Technical Support at netgear.com/support.
===

Afraid, you need to recover your router firmware...

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using TFTP client?

Message 2 of 9
rskautzman
Aspirant

So your saying I’m screwed , my computer knowledge is basically zero. I figured updating my router from the app would be easy and flawless but of course I was wrong
Message 3 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@rskautzman wrote:
So your saying I’m screwed , my computer knowledge is basically zero.

Do you have a Windows system (ideally WIndows 10) at hand, or are you more a Mac user? Convonced we find some assistance to guide you over the process here.

For Windows 10, you have to install the optional TFTP Client feature ... type "Feature" in the Cortana/Windows Search, find "Add/remove WIndows features" ... scroll to "TFTP Client" mark it, and install... 

Hope we find somebody able to guide you further ... it's late here early morning approaching 2 AM in Switzerland, need some sleep.

@rskautzman wrote:
I figured updating my router from the app would be easy and flawless but of course I was wrong

Sorry to hear, not your mistake at all - the attempted App update was just a guess - a well educated one (based on about a 10+ similar posts on this model and the similar problem). It's Netgear promoting the Nighthawk App heavily.

Message 4 of 9
schumaku
Guru

The current firmware download for your R6260 ie here -> https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6260.aspx#Firmware%20Version%201.1.0.52

Message 5 of 9
rskautzman
Aspirant

Thanks for your help
Message 6 of 9

@schumaku wrote:

For Windows 10, you have to install the optional TFTP Client feature ... type "Feature" in the Cortana/Windows Search, find "Add/remove WIndows features" ... scroll to "TFTP Client" mark it, and install... 

This is misleading.

There is nothing to install to get TFTP to work in Windows 10.

It is already there, but you have to enable it.

TFTPEnable.jpg

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 7 of 9

There are several steps you can take before you give up.

The first is to try the "factory reset".

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This can sometimes clear a "hung" device.

There is support for the R6260, including a manual and firmware, at the end of this link:

>>>R6260 | Product | Support | NETGEAR<<<

Read the Release Notes –  R6260 Firmware Version 1.1.0.52 | Answer | NETGEAR Support – to see how to install it.

There is more severe, recovery reset, that you could try:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

If it works, you may be able to use the usual method to flash the firmware again.

Download the latest firmware for your device – or an older version if that is what you want – and read the Release Notes for how to install it.

If that fails, you are into TFTP country.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This also explains how to tell Windows to use TFTP on your PC.

This isn't the easiest operation, so if you are forced to use it, you could try a web search to find videos that guide you through the process.

The good news is that TFTP has rescued many a dead device.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 8 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@schumaku wrote:

There is nothing to install to get TFTP to work in Windows 10. It is already there, but you have to enable it.

That's a philiosopic discussion: Tt's there but it's not there. Granted, install is an unlucky word when it comes to adding Windows features. Before enabing the feature, there is no tftp.exe on the system, after enablig the feature the tftp.exe is in place and available. It was a long day, and English is not my native language (not a difficult guess).

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements