• 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

R6300 Blinking Amber Light. Lost WiFi.

Hello,

My R6300 stopped working suddenly, it lost WiFi and I have a blinking amber light. This has happened before when I lost power and everytime I managed to fix the problem by reloading the newest firmware downloaded from the netgear website. I followed the instructions from netgear support "How to upload firmware to a netgear router using TFTP." It worked everytime except two days ago. Can anyone please help me with some information or instructions, please keep in mind that I am not very computer savy. I was also looking for a phone number to get in touch with netgear support but I was unsuccessful. Thanks in advance.

Model: R6300|Dual Band 11ac WiFi Router R6300
Message 1 of 23
Highlighted

Re: R6300 Blinking Amber Light. Lost WiFi.

@BlueZ wrote:

Hello,

My R6300 stopped working suddenly, it lost WiFi and I have a blinking amber light.

Which light? Several have an amber option.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

The power light. It is flashing in green now.

Message 3 of 23
Highlighted

@BlueZ wrote:

The power light. It is flashing in green now.

That means there is a problem with the router. Check the manual:

>>>>> R6300v1 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<<

See page 107. Probably corrupted firmware.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks, that is the page I downloaded the new firmware. I've tried to load it into the router as I do this 2 or 3 times a year but this time I'm getting this massage:

"UNABLE TO GET RESPONSES FROM THE SERVER". I have this router for over 3 years and every time we have a sort power interruptions I loose WiFI and the only way to fix it is to manually load the new firmware. It worked every time except this time. I was folowing instructions found on Netgear Support page: "HOW TO UPLOAD FIRMWARE TO A NETGEAR ROUTER USING TFTP".

Any ideas? Please help! Thank you!

Message 5 of 23
Highlighted

@BlueZ wrote:

I've tried to load it into the router as I do this 2 or 3 times a year but this time I'm getting this massage:

To me this suggests broken hardware. You should have done something to get a replacement when it was still in warranty.

The only thing I can think of is the more severe factory reset.

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

You asked about a phone number for support. Telephone support is more a money making enterprise than a way to help customers.The cost if contacting Netgear by phone could exceed the price of a new router.

Just another user.

Message 6 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

It did not work. I wonder if a previous firmware is available I could try loading it up? Would that work?

Message 7 of 23
Highlighted
Master

It could the AC adapter acting up. Do you have another one to try by any chance?

Message 8 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

Unfortunately I do not.

Message 9 of 23
Highlighted

@BlueZ wrote:

It did not work. I wonder if a previous firmware is available I could try loading it up? Would that work?

No harm in trying.

Everything available is here:

>>>>> R6300v1 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<<

Unless you have a more recent version of this device.

If you do have V1, then it is now five years old. Technology has moved on since then. Five years is about the limit I put on trying to fix things. After that, if they don't work I replace them.

Just another user.

Message 10 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

I just got back from the local electronic store, picket up a new router. Hope to have better luck with this one.

Thank you for help!

Message 11 of 23
Highlighted

Good  move.

Just another user.

Message 12 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

BTW I tried to load the previous firmware, it failed too. That's when I went to the store to pick up a new router, Netgear lost...

I'm utterly disappointed on the nonexistent technical support from Netgear after warranty period. And when I did a Google surch I found several, call them no answer,

then a couple of minutes later my phone rings and a heavy Indian accented guy says he is calling me from technical support. Hopeful that I get help I tell him about my problem so he tells me to go online download from "Logmein123.com" so he can go into my computer and find out what the problem is. Long story short he tells me that my network is infected has a truck load of IP addresses that does't belong to me, someone ales is using my network. While he was digging into my computer I started having a gut feeling that I made a huge mistake by letting him into my computer, but it was to late. Than he tells me he will transfer me to a technician who will fix my network and than my router but first I have to pay a one time fee of $200us dollars for the service. That's when I said to myself:"This is no way legitimate, it is a scam!" So I show hesitation to this guy, than he puts my on hold for like 20 seconds, than tells me that hes supervisor drops the price to $150us. I asked him to give control of my computer back to me and I will think about it and call him back. He said the company he's working for is in California, he showed me the website www.pcsmartcare.com

I'm telling my story only to be a warning for others. Netgear should take care of it's customers better.

Message 13 of 23
Highlighted

@BlueZ wrote:
And when I did a Google surch I found several, call them no answer,

then a couple of minutes later my phone rings and a heavy Indian accented guy says he is calling me from technical support.

The number you found was almost certainly nothing to do with Netgear.

This is a well known scam. Buy ads on Google and people will find your number. Then you can suck them into your money making venture, which may well end up with an infected PC or an empty bank account.

Just another user.

Message 14 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

I did not know about this scam so I let him into my computer. Now I wonder what he left behind or what he took away. I did have Kaspersky internet security installed already and since than I installed Malwarebytes. I keep scanning my computer, so far the only thing they found was that Malwarebytes notified me a few times with a pop up window that it blocked an attack coming from pcsmartcare site. As I mentioned on my first post I'm not tech savvy so don't know if what I do is enough for protection.

Message 15 of 23
Highlighted

@BlueZ wrote:

....a pop up window that it blocked an attack coming from pcsmartcare site.

Uh oh.

Ripoff Report | PC Smart Care Complaint Review Nationwide

PC Smart Care | Tech Support Scam Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia

That's just two of many.

Nothing to do with Netgear and has hit other modem makes.

@BlueZ wrote:

I did have Kaspersky internet security installed already and since than I installed Malwarebytes.

Aha, while it is unlikely to have any effect on your issue, it does bring this to mind:

>>>>> Unable to access router management page with Kaspersky installed <<<<<

Just another user.

Message 16 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hello! So after trying everything in this thread and all through the internet nothing works. My power light is still blinking green. I should just toss it right? I've been out of warranty and I doubt they can help me over the phone anyway. Besides 89 bucks is steep for technical support for 6 months.

Model: R6300|Dual Band 11ac WiFi Router R6300
Message 17 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

After I did some diging online and I found those sites You sent me, and more indeed.

Kaspersky I'm using just obout the same lenght of time as my Netgear router with no isues, but it is possible that they sent me an update whitch did not work well with my router. Anyway, now I have a new router installed, so far so good.

Message 18 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi there! It seems to me that Netgear is only interested in selling routers as many as they can, leaving costumers hi and dry past warranty period. They should not charge you at all for a bit of help over the phone. How old is your router? Maybe is better to spend that $89 bucks on a new router, and maybe try your lock with someone aleses product this time.

Message 19 of 23
Highlighted

@ScavyB wrote:

Hello! So after trying everything in this thread and all through the internet nothing works. My power light is still blinking green. I should just toss it right? I've been out of warranty and I doubt they can help me over the phone anyway. Besides 89 bucks is steep for technical support for 6 months.

My view is that for $89 you will get no more help than you can get here for nothing. If you have warranty problems, then you shouldn't pay a cent. Start the process on line.

For further help, you might do better to start your own discussion if you want to dig deeper.

No two experiences are exactly the same.

Go back to the start. A blinking green light is a sign of firmware issues.

Just another user.

Message 20 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

I had this problem before and was able to update the firmware. Now I can't even connect to the router. I tried every solution in the book to no avail. Yeah I called them hoping I wouldn't have to pay I hung up on them last time I had this problem but fixed it myself. I really don't think there's anything I can do. I can't factory reset and the router isn't recognized. I just think it's done. It's old man
Message 21 of 23
Highlighted

@ScavyB wrote:
It's old man

I wouldn't call June 2012, the date on the manual, that old. It even has GB LAN.

But technology has moved on since then, not least in the speed of the Internet available to most people.

Just another user.

Message 22 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

True, but it's just time. I had a good run with it. Other than the customer service I really like Netgear. I'll get another one of their routers....unless I find better
Message 23 of 23