× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6300 Bridge Mode Wifi Settings

tmgrood
Aspirant

R6300 Bridge Mode Wifi Settings

I have the wireless settings on my main R6300 router to go off at midnight each night. I am planning on setting up my second R6300 in bridge mode in another room connected via Lan to Lan. These are both version 1 R6300 routers.

I am pretty sure I know the answer but want to make sure.........I want the wireless signal to go off at midnight on my second router also.

My question is, is this something I will have to manually do in the settings of the second router or is the second router just an extension of the first, therefore shutting off the wireless signal at midnight also?

Model: R6300|Dual Band 11ac WiFi Router R6300
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
tmgrood
Aspirant

Re: R6300 Bridge Mode Wifi Settings

HaHa. My bad.

Yes, I will be connecting the two routers using an ethernet cable which is an AP set up rahter than Bridge Mode. Never realized that until you mentioned it.

I will go ahead and close this thread out and set the second router in AP mode and manually disable the wireless signal at the time I choose.

One other quick question though, Is it Lan to Wan or Lan to Lan for AP mode setup? I see pictures of Lan to Wan but have read where Lan to Lan is used.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

When you say that your second R6300 is connected via LAN to LAN, does that mean that it is connected to the first R6300 via Ethernet cable?  If so, that is not typically how bridge mode is used.  That is more typical of an AP setup.

OTOH, if the second R6300 is connecting wirelessly to the first R6300, then shutting off wireless on the first R6300 will not shut off wireless on the second, but the second will be effectively stranded.

In any case, if I'm not mistaken, the settings to "disable" the wireless signal do not shut off the physical radio; the router merely drops all Wi-Fi connections.  I mention this because some people concerned with EM emissions expected the radio to fully shut off.

Message 2 of 5
tmgrood
Aspirant

HaHa. My bad.

Yes, I will be connecting the two routers using an ethernet cable which is an AP set up rahter than Bridge Mode. Never realized that until you mentioned it.

I will go ahead and close this thread out and set the second router in AP mode and manually disable the wireless signal at the time I choose.

One other quick question though, Is it Lan to Wan or Lan to Lan for AP mode setup? I see pictures of Lan to Wan but have read where Lan to Lan is used.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 5
TheEther
Guru

Netgear's official instructions state LAN to WAN. I usually advise LAN to LAN because it's faster but some people have reported difficulties logging into the AP in order to change settings. If you don't plan on changing settings often then it may not be an issue. OTOH, you may not notice any speed difference with LAN to WAN. Experiment and choose what works for you.
Message 4 of 5
tmgrood
Aspirant

Thanks for all your guidence TheEther. You have really helped out a lot and I appreciate it.

I think I will go with the Lan to Lan option, make a few wireless settings changes and leave it be after that.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7