Highlighted
Aspirant

R6300 WiFi Output Speeds

Hello.  I have a Netgear R6300 (AC1750) router, firmware version V1.0.2.80_1.0.59. This router is used in a small apartment.  I get up to 1 Gigabit bandwidth speeds connected through my router on a wired connection to my Windows 10 OS desktop PC, but on the 5 Ghz ac band I only get 70 Mbps bandwidth speed on my ac technology capable smartphone over Wifi sitting next to the router.  Does the R6300 have the output capability of 1 Gbps over WiFi or is that for wired connections only?  If this router is capable of an up to 1 Gbps WiFi signal output, would the QOS router settings impede the output, or are WiFi radio receivers throttled in most pre-2019 smartphones by design?

Model: R6300|Dual Band 11ac WiFi Router R6300
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
Guru

Re: R6300 WiFi Output Speeds

So wireless speeds versus wired speeds are a big difference. Even the advertised speeds are only theoretical speeds. And then you have to look at antenna's. If the router is stating its speeds as 1300mbps over the 5ghz spectrum in a 3x3 antenna configuration and your phone only has 1 antenna, its only using the 433mbps of a single antenna. Plus you have wireless interference issues to deal with. I could go on and on about factors that influence this but luckily there's been a bunch of article written about it. Here's one for instance.

https://buildhomenetworks.com/why-is-wifi-speed-slower-than-wired/

What you can do is try to optimize your performance. 

https://www.pcmag.com/article/257032/10-ways-to-boost-your-wi-fi-signal

CM2000-> Arris AX11000 W31-> GS716v2-> WAX***-AP
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
Aspirant

Okay, thanks so much for the reply and info.

Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Aspirant

So I finally found the solution. A few days ago I replaced the router with a Netgear Nighthawk 6000 Model 120.  After six years of use and a sudden bandwidth upgrade of 1 Gpbs, my old router just couldn't take that much bandwidth or push that much signal.  Sadly it caused the router to die.   I now get almost 1 Gbps speeds (950 to 990 Mbps) on every client... at the same time, by the way.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements