× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6300 v2: Updating FIrmware

NYCaribou
Aspirant

R6300 v2: Updating FIrmware

I just got this Router (R6300 v2: AC1750 Dual-Band Gigabit Router) and I'm using Windows 10. I got a message that a firmware upgrade was available:

Current Firmware Version1.0.3.30
New Firmware Version1.0.4.42_10.0.93
Release Notes
 1.   [Enhancement] New WiFi driver to comply with FCC 5G new rule.
 2.   [Bug Fix] Security fixes.

3.   [Bug Fix] Security fixes.

But when I try to install it, I get a message, "Firmware is invalid."

I downloaded the .zip file, unzipped it, and tried to upload the .chk file, and was told it was incorrect. Either way, I am blocked from upgrading the firmware. 

Can anyone assist?

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
NYCaribou
Aspirant

I've just gotten off the phone with a Netgear tech support agent. He got to the root of the problem and I'm going to follow his suggestions.

The router was bought on Amazon, and it's a refurbished model. Apparently the vendor, "flaknet," is not an authorized direct vendor for Netgear products, and used Amazon as a platform to resell a used router. The router was almost certainly provided by Charter/Spectrum, and they altered the firmware for the router, which is why none of the files available on Netgear are recognized as correct. It's also why the Netgear Genie keeps saying, "firmware invalid" when I used it to try and automatically install an update-- it's not saying that the firmware update is invalid, it's saying that the EXISTING firmware already on my router, is invalid.

Spectrum will undoubtedly keep screaming in protest that only Netgear can fix the problem, when in fact they cannot, because the firmware was altered by Spectrum (Charter), which they will refuse to acknowledge responsibility for. 

So... the solution?

Just continue using the router normally. The agent strongly believes that, outdated as the firmware is, it doesn't pose a serious security risk to my network. Indeed, I never would have known that the firmware was outdated except for my Avast Antivirus (free version) giving me a popup when it detected the router being hooked up. I just need to click off whenever there's a popup. The reason I bought the router is so that I can have internet connections for both my Roku-compatible TV and my desktop computer at the same time. And I also have WiFi now if I ever would like to use it.

So, my apologies for the over-wordiness, but apparently, even though the problem cannot be fixed short of returning the router and getting a different one... apparently I don't need to. I can continue using this one as I have been since I got it two days ago.

My thanks to @antinode and @plemans, so much, for the help they provided. I'm going to mark this solved.

View solution in original post

Model: R6300-2CHNAS|R6300-2CHNAS - Charter Carrier SKU
Message 16 of 17

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You're jumping about 12 versions of firmware. You shouldn't have to do them all individual but try seeing if you can go to 1.0.4.2

what browser are you using? 

Message 2 of 17
NYCaribou
Aspirant

My default Browser is Google Chrome. But I do have Firefox, Microsoft Edge and Epic Privacy Browser as well. All at the latest version.

Message 3 of 17
NYCaribou
Aspirant

I was able to access older versions and tried 1.0.4.2, 1.0.4.20, and 1.0.4.06. All resulted in "The firmware is incorrect."

Message 4 of 17
plemans
Guru

Are you fully extracting them?

Also, do you have the full model number? There's was a few ISP supplied r6300's. 

Message 5 of 17
NYCaribou
Aspirant

How do I know whether it's fully extracted? I have a .chk file and a html file from the .zip package. 

I think the full model number is AC1750, or is there another number, like on the label at the bottom of the router, that you need?

Here's a link to the page on Amazon, where I placed my order:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EM5UFP4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Message 6 of 17
antinode
Guru

> [...] R6300 v2 [...]

Look for "Model" on the product label.  Is that what it says there?

> Current Firmware Version 1.0.3.30

No odd-ball suffix, just that number?  Possibly interesting:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1543374

> New Firmware Version 1.0.4.42_10.0.93

Why is this number longer than that number?

> [...] when I try to install it, [...]

"it" being what, exactly?  Actual file name?

> [...] Either way, I am blocked from upgrading the firmware.

"Either way"?  What was the _other_ way?

> Are you fully extracting them?

What, exactly, would "partially extracting" look like?

Message 7 of 17
plemans
Guru

> Are you fully extracting them?

What, exactly, would "partially extracting" look like?

many pc's can open/view a zip file without actually extracting them. My windows 10 devices do it currently. Tends to create issues if this was the route done and not actually extracting them from the zip file. 

Message 8 of 17
plemans
Guru

@NYCaribou wrote:

How do I know whether it's fully extracted? I have a .chk file and a html file from the .zip package. 

I think the full model number is AC1750, or is there another number, like on the label at the bottom of the router, that you need?

Here's a link to the page on Amazon, where I placed my order:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EM5UFP4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

take a picture of the label. It'll have the full model number. If it was an ISP router that slipped into a retail stream or a used router sold on amazon, that could be an part of the problem.

If not, make sure you did extract the file. In windows, right click, extract all. 

Message 9 of 17
antinode
Guru

> many pc's can open/view a zip file without actually extracting them.
> [...]

"Not extracted" and "partially extracted" are spelled differently for
a reason.

> [...] Tends to create issues if this was the route done and not
> actually extracting them from the zip file.

The only obvious "issue" (that is, "problem") would be that, so far
as I know, until the firmware image file is extracted ("actually
extracted" or "fully extracted") from the archive, it can't be sent to
the router.  If a file _is_ being sent to the router, then it must have
been extracted ("actually extracted" or "fully extracted").

If you know of a way to send a firmware image file to a router
directly from within a zip archive (using Windows File Explorer?), then
I'd be eager to see the explanation of how that's done.  Otherwise, see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_herring

> take a picture of the label. [...]

Or, just read it, and verify what it says.  I'm more worried about
the actual firmware version, which is where I'd expect to see a
difference on an ISP-specific gizmo.

Message 10 of 17
NYCaribou
Aspirant

The product was bought off of Amazon. It was packaged in a plain brown cardboard box without a Netgear brand-name outer box. There was no manual. So I'm guessing it was used. 

I have WINRAR 5.40 64 bit, and used it to extract the files. Although the description for the .chk files said "recovered file fragments." Why, I don't know. The file size for the .chk file for firmware version 1.0.4.2_10.0.74 was 12,901 KB. 

Message 11 of 17
NYCaribou
Aspirant

Regarding this link https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1543374

Very little of it made sense to me. I have no clue what DD_WRT (sp?) is about. I'm not a bad hardware geek, but a poor software tech indeed. Unless I have personal experience with it.

Message 12 of 17
NYCaribou
Aspirant

Sorry for typing three separate replies, I don't know how to edit posts here, or if it's even allowed.

I checked the email I got confirming my registration of the product and apparently I have a different model than I thought. The registration listed my model as SKU(R6300-2CHNAS).

I'll bet anything that's why the listed firmware was invalid.

How do I locate valid firmware for that model of router?

I just did a thorough reading of the label on the bottom of the router and it listed the model as simply, "R6300v2." But according to the email for my registration, it's listed as R6300-2CHNAS. I don't know the difference.

EDIT: Okay I found out how to edit replies.

I think I might be in trouble.

Found the following product review on Amazon:

>>BEWARE of Reconditioned product... Product initially seemed to work fine however something was done on the "refurb" by migventuresinc.com so that I cannot do any firmware updates.. keeps giving me the error of "invalid firmware version". I did a factory reset to be sure that there was no setting I had inadvertently set but still no results. Also tried stepping each version of the firmware update, perhaps it doesn't like to skip firmware versions... no luck there. I submitted a ticket to support of both migventureinc.com and netgear.com and both keep sending me the firmware update instructions with no workaround for problem. I'll have to trash this router as the firmware updates are needed for best security...

FollowUp: I definitely have been trying firmware update using both auto-detect as well as making sure on manual attempts that I was pointing to the unzipped .chk file and NOT the .zip file as someone suggested as to why I was getting error. NetGear had me try several other versions and methods and have the same conclusion that the hardware has been made defective by "reconditioner" migventureinc.com who will not talk you if you are beyond 90 days from purchase. They -with Amazon's help, sold me a defective unit and there is no recourse beyond the 90 days. Thinking about having my AMEX card fight the charges/warranty. Can't really use it any longer due to the well know security risks that would have been settled by firmware... sigh.<<

I guess I should have bought from Newegg?

I did find the following replies to the review:

>>I had the same problem with my router refusing to update the firmware. The fix was to find the "Kong" version of DD-WRT for this Netgear, and then use that .chk file to upgrade the router. Then reboot it in DD-WRT, and then use DD-WRT's firmware upgrade tool to load the STOCK newest firmware from Netgear. After many reboots, that worked. The router now uses the latest firmware. <<

And:

>>I bought mine later than you, but I was able to download the firmware file for the next version after what was loaded on the router and use the "manual" update method to update the router. The file one downloads from Netgear must be unzipped into its components. If you point the firmware "browse" utility at the zipped file, you will also get the invalid message and a note about it not being a chz file. I think I used 10.3.8.

Anyway, after I performed the download, unzip (on computer), update firmware by pointing "browse" window in router screen to the unzipped, downloaded file on the computer, then the router was able to automatically find firmware updates.<<

Unfortunately since I'm not good with software I haven't personally used, I feel like I'm reading Greek. Is anyone able to help me translate?

Message 13 of 17
antinode
Guru

> [...] SKU(R6300-2CHNAS).

That looks like an R6300v2 with CHarter-specific firmware.

> I'll bet anything that's why the listed firmware was invalid.

Yup. Presumably, the (actual, complete) current firmware version
would be similarly suggestive.

> [...] the description for the .chk files said "recovered file
> fragments."

That's what Windows will say about any file with a ".chk" type.  It's
not meaningful.

> How do I locate valid firmware for that model of router?

Ask Charter (Spectrum)?  Or try to follow the existing guides related
to cramming generic firmware into a device with ISP-specific firmware.

> Very little of it made sense to me. [...]

That might make it harder.  A Web search for "DD-WRT" might provide
some clues.  I've never tried it, so all I know is what I read in the
papers.

Message 14 of 17
NYCaribou
Aspirant

Antinode, I apologize, I was editing my reply and you got yours in before I finished. If the new info in the edits are of any help, please let me know.

Message 15 of 17
NYCaribou
Aspirant

I've just gotten off the phone with a Netgear tech support agent. He got to the root of the problem and I'm going to follow his suggestions.

The router was bought on Amazon, and it's a refurbished model. Apparently the vendor, "flaknet," is not an authorized direct vendor for Netgear products, and used Amazon as a platform to resell a used router. The router was almost certainly provided by Charter/Spectrum, and they altered the firmware for the router, which is why none of the files available on Netgear are recognized as correct. It's also why the Netgear Genie keeps saying, "firmware invalid" when I used it to try and automatically install an update-- it's not saying that the firmware update is invalid, it's saying that the EXISTING firmware already on my router, is invalid.

Spectrum will undoubtedly keep screaming in protest that only Netgear can fix the problem, when in fact they cannot, because the firmware was altered by Spectrum (Charter), which they will refuse to acknowledge responsibility for. 

So... the solution?

Just continue using the router normally. The agent strongly believes that, outdated as the firmware is, it doesn't pose a serious security risk to my network. Indeed, I never would have known that the firmware was outdated except for my Avast Antivirus (free version) giving me a popup when it detected the router being hooked up. I just need to click off whenever there's a popup. The reason I bought the router is so that I can have internet connections for both my Roku-compatible TV and my desktop computer at the same time. And I also have WiFi now if I ever would like to use it.

So, my apologies for the over-wordiness, but apparently, even though the problem cannot be fixed short of returning the router and getting a different one... apparently I don't need to. I can continue using this one as I have been since I got it two days ago.

My thanks to @antinode and @plemans, so much, for the help they provided. I'm going to mark this solved.

Message 16 of 17
antinode
Guru

> [...] it's not saying that the firmware update is invalid, it's saying
> that the EXISTING firmware already on my router, is invalid.

Not really.  What's true is that the ISP-specific firmware will
accept an update only of similar ISP-specific firmware.  There's nothing
wrong ("invalid") with the current ISP-specific firmware, other than the
fact that it's ISP-specific firmware.

> [...] the problem cannot be fixed short of returning the router and
> getting a different one... [...]

As you've read, others claim to have found a way to genericize these
devices.

Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos