× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: : R6300 v2 repeater setup WGR614v10

Seguinbg47
Aspirant

: R6300 v2 repeater setup WGR614v10

I  am trying to set up 2nd router as repeater of 1st above 

both use same ssid

2nd will be wireless

however repeater doesn’t allow same security mode

i also turned off internet on repeater

wireless does not appear to be extending

speed at loc of repeater is about 10mbps,   But 10 ft further away away still under 1 mbps

the repeater is positioned to bypass the closet wall

thought I d start with this much first, before more details

thx

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

Which is supposed to be the repeater? R6300v2 or WGR614v10

To work as repeaters, both devices have to cooperate. Not all Netgear routers have the ability to work in "bridge mode".

The R6300v2 does offer bridge mode, but I see no sign in the manual for the WGR614v10 that it has that feature. Looks like it doesn't even have wireless access point (AP) mode, which would be one way round the problem.

In any case, the WGR614v10 is so old (2009), with wifi technology from that era, that it probably isn't worth the effort.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies

Which is supposed to be the repeater? R6300v2 or WGR614v10

To work as repeaters, both devices have to cooperate. Not all Netgear routers have the ability to work in "bridge mode".

The R6300v2 does offer bridge mode, but I see no sign in the manual for the WGR614v10 that it has that feature. Looks like it doesn't even have wireless access point (AP) mode, which would be one way round the problem.

In any case, the WGR614v10 is so old (2009), with wifi technology from that era, that it probably isn't worth the effort.

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

You're trying to connect a really old wireless G router to an old (ish) ac router. 

That WGR614 that you have might have been released in 2009 but the V1 came out in 2003. 

Its using very old technology and in repeater mode, the WGR is only going to support wep mode and will require setting that same mode (that only supports 54mbps connection) on the R6300. 

Its a security risk and decreases your speeds significantly. 

You'd be better to purchase a halfway new wireless extender. It'd be able to use the current security and wouldn't require dropping speeds or security just to be able to use it. 

That router is going on 20 years old. Its time to retire it for something a little newer. 

Message 3 of 4
Seguinbg47
Aspirant

Thanks, I was concerned about these issues altho less so the speed

security yes

i have a “less old” asus and with a bit of effort got that working as repeater

when a killer deal crops up, I should modernize

thanks

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats