× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6300v2 - Radio Drop outs on transmitter

csmaslin
Guide

R6300v2 - Radio Drop outs on transmitter

I feel compelled to share my frustration with Netgear and their customer support system.  I will begin to say this issue is on the third netgear router all different models.  I purchased this unit via Amazon on May 18th, the "Free" support ended in August (they wanted a credit card just to discuss the issue). 

I have been having network issues for awhile and I recently was able to pin it down using a WiFi analyzer.  I watch the radio drop the carrier on both frequencies in an intermittently.  I called their support two days ago and they already closed the ticket.  The problem isn't fixed.  Yes, I had already flashed the firmware to the latest, power cycled the unit, changed configurations before I called.  I only want to use this router as an AP.  It has that feature, although even with a default configuration and nothing attached save the power cord, I can see the carriers drop.  Problem is not my network. 

Since it is not being used as a router and only an AP it cannot have the same IP as my primary router.  Their Engineer insisted in having this router's ip changed to the primary router's (192.168.1.1).  Disconnect all lan and wan connections and then use their genie program to connect to the default IP address with a desktop computer.  I'm pretty sure that I can't configure this router to use mental telepathy to make that connection (no Lan connections, no Lan connection and the desktop doesn't have WiFi).  I then asked to speak to a real engineer or even a manager.  I was told that I would be contacted within 1 hour.  It is already a day later and haven't received any call.  The case number was 29420390.   

In the meantime I have found that the only work around is to turn off one of the radios.  It doesn't matter if it's the 2.4Ghz or the 5Ghz operating both will cause them both to fail intermittently.   I also noticed that the heat dissapation is significantly reduced on the exterior housing with one of the radios turned off.  Interesting??  I wonder if it's a thermal shutdown?

In any case, I couldn't seem to get them to honor the warranty.  A shame really, on specs their products look good.  In the field my experiences have been awful ....  

Lesson learned here ..... don't buy netgear.

I'm not opposed to fixing it myself.   

Since they aren't going to honor the warranty, anyone got a schematic???  

I guess, I'll never stop being an engineeer.....

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
csmaslin
Guide

Re: R6300v2 - Radio Drop outs on transmitter

Here is a follow-up.  I found the instance of carrier failure of the 5gz was extremely reduced but not completely gone.  There is an FCC requirement that if a carrier drifts outside the allocated bandwidth it has to cease transmission in order not to interefere with adjacent carriers.  Many modem manufacturers have a built- in software routine to monitor and shut- down incase this occurs.  In this case, I believe the hardware is at fault and in order to comply with the regualtion the Router initializes itself ( reboot). Software controlled variable-oscillators (contolled by voltage) are what contols the frequencies and channelization. Normally I would think that this would be a firmare issue, but in my case the router had been functioning correctly for at least 90 days.  So my hypotheses  is that it is hardware, probably voltage drop from a 5v regulator.  I would need schematics to trace it down.  But the issue is moot.  I bought a Linksys WAP and it arrived last night and all is well in Mudville today.   I am done with Netgear.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
brahmaman1
Initiate

Same issue with my router.  I think it has to do with the firmware.  There are post all over about these crappy routers and the support from ole Netgear.  They will not see anymore of my $$$.  I am going to try shutting off one of the radios as you suggested to see if the constant signal drop offs stop.  Thank you for posting this since Netgear cannot support their own product.

Message 2 of 3
csmaslin
Guide

Here is a follow-up.  I found the instance of carrier failure of the 5gz was extremely reduced but not completely gone.  There is an FCC requirement that if a carrier drifts outside the allocated bandwidth it has to cease transmission in order not to interefere with adjacent carriers.  Many modem manufacturers have a built- in software routine to monitor and shut- down incase this occurs.  In this case, I believe the hardware is at fault and in order to comply with the regualtion the Router initializes itself ( reboot). Software controlled variable-oscillators (contolled by voltage) are what contols the frequencies and channelization. Normally I would think that this would be a firmare issue, but in my case the router had been functioning correctly for at least 90 days.  So my hypotheses  is that it is hardware, probably voltage drop from a 5v regulator.  I would need schematics to trace it down.  But the issue is moot.  I bought a Linksys WAP and it arrived last night and all is well in Mudville today.   I am done with Netgear.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7