× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6300v2 and Facebook Wi-Fi

tazzbr
Initiate

Hi

@DexterJB, please inbox me a solution if theres any. I have been hunting down the community web pages and the internet for a solution to this problem. My router is not in AP mode and guest mode is activated. I tried downgrading the firmware, it didnt work. Same after updating to the latest firmware and doing a factory reset. Still ends up at 'Page Not Found'. Please help me ASAP.

Screen Shot 2016-12-27 at 2.19.29 PM.png

Thank You!

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 26 of 63
fabio1605
Initiate

Exactly the same issue as EVERYONE else here too

would it not be handy to post the solutions on the forum rather than sending them to private messages???

I am also directed to a "page not found" error on the following link: https://www.facebook.com/wifiauth/config?gw_id=

My firmware is
V1.0.4.6_10.0.76

Any help appreciated.

Message 27 of 63
adusonu
Aspirant

Hi ,

Netgear team is not giving any proper solution sofar, i am always getting , their technical team is working on the same.. thats it

Message 28 of 63
ABC-OnLine
Aspirant

@DexterJB same problem.

In Facebook error 404.

...wait for a solution.

Model: R6200v2|AC1200 Dual Band Gigabit Smart WiFi Router
Message 29 of 63
nocruel
Aspirant

@DexterJB 

same problem.

In Facebook error 404.

...wait for a solution.

Please inbox me,it's urgent

Message 30 of 63
iggy77
Aspirant

Hi Dexter,

I have accepted terms and conditions. I have send this confirmation already once. Ihope you will find it now.

Thank you very much.

Message 31 of 63
ColinL
Initiate

Hi

Very same issue here. Page does not exist.
V1.0.4.6_10.0.76

Can someone send me the solution.

Thanks.
Message 32 of 63
mariusme
Aspirant

Dear NetGear Support team,

I have the same problem with the firmware version R6300v2-V1.0.4.6_10.0.76. Facebook page is expired and the GUI is unavailable after some time.

Message 33 of 63
Joskis
Aspirant

Hello I have same problem with configure link. Is there any solutions?

As soon as press config button I am getting redirected to facebook page which says

Sorry, this page isn't available The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed.

Message 34 of 63
ColinL
Initiate

I notice there has been no solution posted to this as of yet. I PM'd Dexter and was told I would be contacted by a support expert but have not yet heard.

I actually got a working solution by downgrading the firmware. I downgraded the firmware to 'Firmware Version 1.0.3.28' available here.

But... and it's a BIG 'but'...

The splash page / Facebook check in page is completely bypassed and does not appear for https requests - that is - basically the entire web nowadays. e.g. Google, Facebook, phone apps including 'what's app', etc.. Completely unfeathered access with no gains from the Facebook hotspot service.

I am not sure yet as to whether this is a constraint of Netgear or of Facebook. Does anyone know? A few searches have lead to me believe the issue exists on other Facebook wifi enabled routers.

I have toyed with the idea of blocking the https port so that all traffic runs over http therefore ensuring authentication through Facebook check in. I am just unclear right now as to the implications of that i.e. will websites work e.g. gmail, google search etc. or throw an error. And of course consumer trust. Thoughts?

Message 35 of 63
pugwash1971
Tutor

Hello Dexter,

I am also experiencing an issue with this.  Actually the Facebook wifi tab isnt even there. I have the latest firmware V1.0.4.6_10.0.76

but as I cant even see the facebook config option I am lost.

Please help

Regards,

Liam

Message 36 of 63
pugwash1971
Tutor

I dont even get to see the Facebook Tab in advanced.  If you get any response from Dexter, could you re-post as this is clearly an issue.

Cheers

Message 37 of 63
sandesh
Aspirant

Hello,

I am not able to use facebook wifi. When i Enable the facebook wifi and click to the configure button it redirects me to the page https://www.facebook.com/wifiauth/config?gw_id=

Please help me to resolve

Message 38 of 63
Witty01
Aspirant

Hi Dexter,

I am having the Same issue with my R6300v2. Please advise what the solution is..

Thanks

Message 39 of 63
DavidWills
Aspirant

Exactly the same problem.

Is there a solution, anyone on the thread actaully managed to get Facebook WiFi operational?

Message 40 of 63
adusonu
Aspirant

Hi,

Kindly let me know, which ver. you are using ?

I was facing the same problem, and somehow i come out from the issue...

Message 41 of 63
DavidWills
Aspirant

From reading many (many, many) posts the link is the problem.

https://www.facebook.com/wifiauth/config?gw_id=

After the id= there apparently should be a token generated by the router to make something more like;

https://www.facebook.com/wifiauth/config?gw_id=ae261dc3433fac 

That makes sense. Are we on the right track and if we are how do we get that token?

Message 42 of 63
Witty01
Aspirant

The Token may be a Facebook generated token that carries you to the setup screen to link to your business page.

I cannot seem to get any help from netgear staff on it...

Message 43 of 63
DavidWills
Aspirant

1.0.4.06_10.0.76

Message 44 of 63
xuandna
Guide

Omg,

Same problem with me here ! I had old NightHak R8000 which not support FB wifi, i did bought one R6300v2 on amazon but today i configure FB wifi then stuck at link: https://www.facebook.com/wifiauth/config?gw_id=

I need to Unplug to restart the router .... but same problem happened.

Please help !

Message 45 of 63
pugwash1971
Tutor

I downloaded the latest firmware and it didnt work.  I then downloaded the previous version and the Facebook wifi link did work and I was able to set it up.

It worked on my phone when I tried it, but when my customer did the same, he got a different response.  My phone is Android, his phone is Apple.

In any case whether you get it to work or not, its a waste of time because users can "skip check-in" which totally defeats the reason for having the option.

The way the product is marketed says that users "check-in and like your page before getting free wifi".  This is incorrect and false advertising.

You can hit the business Facebook page and "skip check-in" and still get free wifi.  So whats the point ??

I dont have enough money to take on Netgear in court over false and mis-leading advertising but if I did, I would.

In fact I have less money now from when I started on this project as I have purchased the router but my customer, quite rightly, wont pay me for it as it doesnt do as it was supposed to do.

Message 46 of 63
xuandna
Guide

hi pugwash1971,
After logged in ... at the Facebook wifi configuration there have an option to enter your private key if user skip check-in

Btw, for problem stuck at https://www.facebook.com/wifiauth/config?gw_id=
I figured out that my router is not configed access internet via Internet port and provide it own DHCP. After re configed internet port... my 'facebook wifi' is successfully set up
Message 47 of 63
mariusme
Aspirant

Dear Sir,

Other routers listed on the facebook page are also acting the same way, I've tried a couple of models now, so the customer (coffe shop ...) should know that not all customers will share location or like their page.

thank you

Message 48 of 63
_R
Initiate
Initiate

Let me elaborate more.

(tl;dr: If you want a really working Facebook Wi-Fi solution, find an alternative, I've finally used a gateway from a cloud-manged brand, it worked really nice but I have to pay both hardware and yearly fee)

(Declaration: Not IT professional, now deployed FB Wi-Fi Solution from another brand instead, and my 6300v2 is now vacant)

Initially I checked Facebook Wi-Fi supported list showing quite some brands (some are pricey enterprise products, and some are more affordable/residential ones), among the list I chose R6300v2.

However, the Facebook Wi-Fi worked in a way -- Blocking Port 80 only and leaving all the rest ports opened, this is probably the laziest solution since almost no firewall rules are being touched, the router just tap 80 connection, moreover, since HTTPS is blocked and Facebook has been using a CDN (i.e. you can't determine what website the client is requesting), if they block HTTPS it will be too difficult to implement, so they left HTTPS (and other non-80 Ports) free. (Technical side: I think they just deploy a simple proxy server to divert all 80 traffic with a gatekeeper mechanism, non-80 traffic are directly routed out)

However, the world has changed a lot. Nowadays, most applications are using HTTPS as primary protocol (Google, Facebook, WhatsApp.... you name it!), even Google Chrome and some other browsers are prompting unsafe alert in non-HTTPS website, and under the current working mechanism, all these websites and services are freely accessible (without doing checkin/code/not even a button), not only HTTPS, if you got a VPN (Whatever, PPTP, L2TP or just SSH Tunneling), by connecting it you have jail-broken the walled garden, so the Facebook Wi-Fi feature is basically useless.

Well, Netgear is not the only brand that have such problem, you can enjoy non-80 port access other consumer brands (some enterprise brands, too) Facebook Wi-Fi routers.

The ultimate, technical way to solve this is implement a firewall-based mechanism, blocking all non-Facebook connection (regardless ports), the description in this open souce package has enough insight to make facebook IPs inside walled gardened (tl;dr: Cache DNS queries, and dynamically releasing IPs that matching Facebook/FBCDN domain names Reference: https://github.com/mhaas/fbwlan), the large memory and flash size is more than capable to incorporate such features. It's up to how much works Netgear would like to done. (Well, maybe it isn't Netgear's fault, if you look into GPL of R6300v2, FBWiFi part is precompiled, and you may notice other consumer-grade routers with Facebook Wi-Fi are all ARM-based, maybe it's Facebook's issue, but unlikely, it's rather someone not want to disclose the code)

If I have access to the official API on FB Wi-Fi, I would never buy this router.

Message 49 of 63
rojarrolla
Tutor

As everybody here, I have the same Issue, I have written Facebook and they don't reply. Even wrote Mark Zuckerberg, no answers either. Is there anything ? Or has this system ever worked before? 

Thanks!

Message 50 of 63
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7