× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6300v2 and Facebook Wi-Fi

jtanori
Initiate

@DexterJB @Prokur @rojarrolla @_R @mariusme @xuandna I have been checking what is going on when you click on the "configure" button in the Facebook WIFI section, turns out the page is totally broken, whenever you click on that button there is a script in the browser calling to a PHP (sic) script named config_fbwifi_gwid.php that script return a pretty useful empty response which is why we get no id or no token to send to FB, looks like this has been disabled intentionally because there are other lines commented out in the same script, here is all the evidence:

lame-netgear.png

And then there is this totally useful response from in their "production" ready setup service:

lame-netgear-2.pnglame-netgear3.pnglame-netgear4.png

I may have misconfigured my router yet I followed all the guides in Netgear´s website at no avail, I rest my case, I hope the crew at Netgear could acknoeldge their product does not perform as advertised and at least have the decency to return the money back, Your move Netgear.

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 51 of 63
sameer79
Aspirant

Hello Dexter,

Same problem with my router as well. It rediredirecting me to this page "https://www.facebook.com/wifiauth/config?gw_id=" which shows this page is broken. The GUI is not responding soon after this page opens.

One more thing is that it shows a router firmgrade is available but when tring to install it after the download it shows an error

Message 52 of 63
rojarrolla
Tutor

Here is my update and what I did.

I bought a "certified" router from amazon. It never worked with facebook, I oppened two cases with facebook and they just don´t care.

Trying to get this working in another way I noticed that It was asking me to update the firmware, and every method returned me with an error. So I decided to look for another method, and I found a "simple" way to do it with hotspot system that required to update the firmware with ddwrt. At the beginning I found the problem that I couldn't update the firmware with the correct "version". Then I found that the problem was that my "certified refurbrished" router was actually a Charter ISP one but it was, maybe on pourpuse, misslabeled.

What I did is to try to install the R6300v2CH (Charter ISP) firmware from ddrt, and then, after creating an account with hotspotsystem,  configurated it.

It works kind of well, the thing that I've seen with my android and my ios is that the "login" button is blank so you have to guess that you have to touch it, but it's very natural to do, since there is no much information on the login screen. The other thing that I've seen is that on Samsung phones, the connection pop up window does not appear most of the times, and is not easy to connect, I hope that they are taking care of this.

I hope this helps you to enable your hotspots with facebook or twitter (which is why I bought mine) Should you have any doubts or questions, write a reply here and I will try to help you the best as I can.

Message 53 of 63
Kugelrund1
Aspirant

Betreff: R6300v2 and Facebook Wi-Fi

Hi,
Same problem with my router as well. It rediredirecting me to this page "https://www.facebook.com/wifiauth/config?gw_id=" which shows this page is broken.
Model: R6300v2 
Firmware: V1.0.4.8_10.0.77
GUI Language: V1.0.4.8_2.1.33.8 (German used)

Any tipps, news or solutions?

Robert

Message 54 of 63
jtanori
Initiate

@DexterJB I did never receive the patched bundle the support team promissed, I did signed the NDA and everything but no response back, this is obviously going nowere, nice customer service.

Message 55 of 63
rojarrolla
Tutor

So far I  have not found any solution, and neither Netegear nor Facebook care about it, I just went with hotspotsystem and they have some free plans that can work very similar as a promissed by Netgear or Facebook.

Grüsse!

Message 56 of 63
xuandna
Guide

Hi, my experience to solve this problem is:

1. Router must be configured Internet port and it status said: GOOD with green color 😄

2. Guest network is none password

3. Access your Router by SmartPhone with facebook Signed out

RETRY if you success let me know

Message 57 of 63
kazaven
Aspirant

I have a netgear r6300v2 with latest and when I set up the facebook wifi it allows me to connect and surf the internet but it doesnt require me to check into my selected facebook page. How do I fix this?

Message 58 of 63
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @kazaven,

Please make sure that you are connected to the Guest Network and not to the main network.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 59 of 63
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @kazaven,

I would like to follow up and check if you are still experiencing the issue.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 60 of 63
Jeff3755
Aspirant

FYI, I gave up after 2+ frustrating hrs on the phone with NG Tech Support plus shopping for the correct router.  I did learn that it must be the R6300v2 on the box, not the AC1900 (R6300vw).  None of the stores (BestBuy, OfficeDepot, Walmart, etc) sell the R6300 anymore.  I bought one from eBay (new in a sealed box) only to learn that the factory installed firmware was for COX Internet and not useable for Facebook.  Be careful what you buy and good luck with NG Tech Support.

Message 61 of 63
2thman
Aspirant

Want  to use FB wifi in my office - was going to upgrade my netgear router to R6300v2 (although would get the R6400 but site says no FB wifi), but after reading these suppport issues, forget it.

- btw, I called Netgear support and asian guy checked with someone who said 6400 does support FB wifi, but I see no documentation indicating that so looks like I'm going to ASUS 

Message 62 of 63
Jeff3755
Aspirant

After getting no where with the Netgear, I went with the ASUS.  The Facebook redirect worked in the Guest network however, it only seems to redirect on Android phones.  There's a box in the configuration to add a code or "skip it".  I chose "skip it" and it allows the Customer to do either. iPhones or laptops don't seem to redirect.  Since I gave up on Netgear, I'm not sure if it's the same thing.

Message 63 of 63
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7