× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6300v2 factory rest, but password does not work

bravaga
Tutor

R6300v2 factory rest, but password does not work

Help,

I have had my router for a few years and have not touched it since initial installation.  I could not remember my username/password so I did a factory reset on the unit.  I know that the reset work because it changed my SSID back to the one that matches the label on the bottom, however the documented default username/password of "admin" and "password" do not work.  I see other discussions with the same question but could not find one with an answer.   My PC i am connecting with does not have an ethernet adapter so I can only connect via the wifi.

Any suggestions on what is happening here?

thanks

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
bravaga
Tutor

Re: R6300v2 factory rest, but password does not work

SOLVED.......I was able to finally get into my router.  Turns out that my internet provider has somehow changed the "factory" default password on the Netgear R6300 routers that they provide.  No matter what factory rest process you follow, it will always go back to the providers default.  In case anyone else has this problem and uses Consolidated Communications as their provider the default for the router is

username: admin

password: cciadmin

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] the documented default username/password of "admin" and
> "password" do not work. [...]

What kind of "do not work"?  When you do what, exactly?  As usual,
showing actual actions with their actual results (error messages, LED
indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague descriptions or
interpretations.

> [...] My PC i am connecting with does not have an ethernet adapter so
> I can only connect via the wifi. [...]

Shouldn't matter.  Can you make the wireless connection to the
router?

> [...] I know that the reset work [...]

You might try repeating it.

Message 2 of 7
bravaga
Tutor

To clarify, when i type in the username and password through web interface and click Sign In, the prompt just flashes and clears the info i entered.  It never clearly states that it rejected my password, nor any other error message.

I am connected to the router on the wirless using the default SSID and key.

I have tried the documented reset process multiple times.  I actually tried 3 different processes that i found.

Message 3 of 7

It might help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router that does wifi and has a set of LAN ports on the back?

Message 4 of 7
bravaga
Tutor

SOLVED.......I was able to finally get into my router.  Turns out that my internet provider has somehow changed the "factory" default password on the Netgear R6300 routers that they provide.  No matter what factory rest process you follow, it will always go back to the providers default.  In case anyone else has this problem and uses Consolidated Communications as their provider the default for the router is

username: admin

password: cciadmin

Message 5 of 7

@bravaga wrote:

Turns out that my internet provider has somehow changed the "factory" default password on the Netgear R6300 routers that they provide. 

Aha. A new wrinkle on customised hardware.

Good research.

The usual way of determining that is by checking the firmware version. Custom devices, and firmware, often come with an odd name, with something like CH on the end.

Had we asked about your firmware that might have provided further clues.

Out of interest, what is it?

Be warned that you may not be able to use Netgear's "official" firmware on your R6300v2.

Message 6 of 7
antinode
Guru

> Had we asked about your firmware that might have provided further
> clues.

Yup.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1559395

> Be warned that you may not be able to use Netgear's "official"
> firmware on your R6300v2.

Or, not easily, at least.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1683254