× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6350 AC1750 configure Wireless Bridge/Repeater

bkuhn
Guide

R6350 AC1750 configure Wireless Bridge/Repeater

(Moving my post over here as suggested.. Note this is an R6350 - The Model dropdown when posting does not have that.

previous post was https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R6350-AC1750-configure-Wireless-Bridge-Repea...)

I'm missing something obvious after going through many dozens of posts on hoe this should (maybe) work.

My existing network has a Linksys WiFi router with several wired and wireless connections in the house.

My existing IP range is class A 10.0.0.0  subnet 255.0.0.0. Most of my computers are using DHCP from the router. I have 3 servers located in the basement on fixed 10.0.0.xxx addresses that (were) on a wired connection from the router.

The wired connection to the basement has died. I'm not interested in trying to dig in another wired connection.

I have good wireless signal from my Linksys router into the server area.

I want to set up my R6350 router as a wireless bridge (is that the correct term?) to those servers. I want to keep my 10.0.0.xxx addressing network wide.

Is that possible?

I've read things that say a wireless bridge requires a wired connection to the bridged router (??!). Others don't say that.

I haven't quite figured out the difference between a Bridge and a Repeater. Maybe Repeater is the correct term for what I need?

On the R6350, I've gone into the Advanced Wireless menu and set it for Other mode of operation, set in my Primary Wireless Router SSID/passphrase/etc (and nowhere do I see any confirmation of successful connection). I set the IP address to an available 10.0.0.xxx address.

And get nowhere.

It appears that I actually get the correct IP address on the R6350, and I can talk to servers that are wired to that router while connected wia wireless to that router, but I can't talk to anything connected to my primary router (or that primary router itself).

Update - From what I got from initial responses - my situation should work using the 6350 as a Bridge (correct?). It doesn't extend wireless coverage (I don't care) but it should let me connect wired devices to it that can access my primary router wirelessly.

Now if it would work...

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
bkuhn
Guide

Re: R6350 AC1750 configure Wireless Bridge/Repeater

Success!

Last night I tried again. From a hard reset I went in to the Advanced Wireless setup, checked Other Mode, filled in the Wifi SSID and password for my primary router, filled in a valid 10.0.0.xxx address, subnet, and dns for the Netgear for the primary network, and saved.

After the router rebooted, I still had the wireless networks and everything I had before - Like I hadn't changed anything, but the Other configuration information was still there. Saved/rebooted again (couldn't think of anything better to do).

When it came back up, I no longer see the Wireless SSIDs/networks for the Netgear.First time I had not seen those show up in all my attempts.

Connected to my primary wireless network. Now my servers that are connected to the Netgear are there!! The Netgear is also there at the IP I had set. Success!! Network is bridged! Everyone on the same subnet.

Many thanks to @plemans  for his clarifications!

View solution in original post

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 2 of 2

All Replies
bkuhn
Guide

Re: R6350 AC1750 configure Wireless Bridge/Repeater

Success!

Last night I tried again. From a hard reset I went in to the Advanced Wireless setup, checked Other Mode, filled in the Wifi SSID and password for my primary router, filled in a valid 10.0.0.xxx address, subnet, and dns for the Netgear for the primary network, and saved.

After the router rebooted, I still had the wireless networks and everything I had before - Like I hadn't changed anything, but the Other configuration information was still there. Saved/rebooted again (couldn't think of anything better to do).

When it came back up, I no longer see the Wireless SSIDs/networks for the Netgear.First time I had not seen those show up in all my attempts.

Connected to my primary wireless network. Now my servers that are connected to the Netgear are there!! The Netgear is also there at the IP I had set. Success!! Network is bridged! Everyone on the same subnet.

Many thanks to @plemans  for his clarifications!

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7