× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6350 router DHCP ending IP stuck at 255.255.255.254

mrwaffles
Follower

R6350 router DHCP ending IP stuck at 255.255.255.254

PLEASE HELP ME GOD

I don't know a lot about networking but I saw something about setting up a pi-hole and thought it would be pretty cool. Turns out, I completely effed my Wifi. 

I was trying to mess with the DHCP settings to get the DNS to go through the Pi but couldn't get anything to work so I tried to go back. Now my ending IP for DHCP wont let me change the first three sets of numbers aka the 255.255.255  .   

Ethernet is still working but yeah, wifi is boned and I'm not sure why

Message 1 of 3

Re: R6350 router DHCP ending IP stuck at 255.255.255.254

@mrwaffles wrote:

I was trying to mess with the DHCP settings to get the DNS to go through the Pi but couldn't get anything to work so I tried to go back. Now my ending IP for DHCP wont let me change the first three sets of numbers aka the 255.255.255  .   

That's the "Subnet mask" not the LAN IP address.

@mrwaffles wrote:

I don't know a lot about networking but I saw something about setting up a pi-hole and thought it would be pretty cool. Turns out, I completely effed my Wifi. 

The easiest way out is probably to reload a backup of the router's setting. If you didn't create that before you started playing around the next best bet would be to reset the router.

Then talk to the Pi people about the best way to set up your router.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

You may have done that already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: R6350 router DHCP ending IP stuck at 255.255.255.254

Pihole can be a black hole when you're not very experienced. 

@michaelkenward is correct in that a factory reset might be your fastest option to get things working again. 

I change out routers for testing enough that I don't use the dhcp option in the pihole but its kind of a cool feature if you can get it working right. But again, if you're not very experienced, you might want to skip it or trial it when you're not "needing" to have the internet working and can troubleshoot on their forums. 

So I currently just use its dns ad blocking features by pointing my router's dns at it. Works great but stinks when you get something sending repeated requests and you have to figure out what device is causing it. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7