× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6400 - AC1750 Smart WiFi Router Connected No Internet

rfo056
Aspirant

R6400 - AC1750 Smart WiFi Router Connected No Internet

Trying to understand how this could happen, can only guess for now. Wifes phone Samsung AO2S connecting to router but with no internet access. Kept trying to find problem on phone, turned out that the connection to router was allowed to connect. But router blocked it from accessing internet. The phone is new and has run fine until today.

Everything else connected to router running perfectly.

This has never happened an I'm really surprised to find that maybe the router is smart enough to block malicious activity.

Can anyone help explain this.

I have access to router blocked by all until I go into advanced security an allow them to connect.

Windows 10 Professional v 21H1  OS Build 19043.1165

Router Firmware Version
V1.0.1.62_1.0.41

Using TrendMicro Mobile Security on phone

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions

Re: R6400 - AC1750 Smart WiFi Router Connected No Internet

@rfo056 wrote:

....turned out that the connection to router was allowed to connect. But router blocked it from accessing internet.

How did you work out that the router is the culprit?

Have you enabled access control on the R6400?

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Block Access to Your Network.

Is that what you mean by this?

@rfo056 wrote:

I have access to router blocked by all until I go into advanced security an allow them to connect.

Not sure that I follow the language there, but if you have told the router to block all new devices then maybe it is just doing what you asked it to do.

Why would it block your wife's phone when you have given it permission? Because, from what I read here, Apple and others like to change the Mac address of things like mobile phones. So the next time your wife tries to connect to the wifi, your router sees a new device and tells her to go away.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies

@rfo056 wrote:

....turned out that the connection to router was allowed to connect. But router blocked it from accessing internet.

How did you work out that the router is the culprit?

Have you enabled access control on the R6400?

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Block Access to Your Network.

Is that what you mean by this?

@rfo056 wrote:

Not sure that I follow the language there, but if you have told the router to block all new devices then maybe it is just doing what you asked it to do.

Why would it block your wife's phone when you have given it permission? Because, from what I read here, Apple and others like to change the Mac address of things like mobile phones. So the next time your wife tries to connect to the wifi, your router sees a new device and tells her to go away.

Message 2 of 9
rfo056
Aspirant

Problem at router was discovered when I logged into router and went to advanced, access control. My wifes phone was Blocked

I changed it back to Allowed. Then all was back to normal.

Yes I have Access Control enabled.

The wifes new phone had been working for over 3 weeks after I got it and set it up for her. Then all of sudden, the router blocked her.

That's was I'm trying to figure out how that could have happened.

Message 3 of 9
rfo056
Aspirant

After thought.

Her previous phone also a Samsung phone had been connected and function with never getting Blocked .

Message 4 of 9
rfo056
Aspirant

On the phone it was showing connected. Just no internet access.  Wifi symbol on phone was showing with a "!" next to it. In settings it was saying connected no internet access.

Message 5 of 9
rfo056
Aspirant

As far as phones change id's. I've never ran into to that with years of using this router and previous Netgear router I had.

I use to drive over the road and come home weekly and phone always connected. Same with wifes phone un and to this event her phone upon returning home would alway reconnect.

Message 6 of 9
rfo056
Aspirant

Ok now off to talk with phone company.

When I view list of device allowed but not connected. The wifes new phone was there with a differant Mac Address. I was completely unaware that this could change.

Message 7 of 9

@rfo056 wrote:

The wifes new phone was there with a differant Mac Address. I was completely unaware that this could change.

Now you know why this annoys people.

Maybe someone can tell you how to get the router to recognise the phone as something it can trust every time it tries to connect. That's not something I have tried.

Message 8 of 9
rfo056
Aspirant

Little further research and what I have learned.

I have a very old iphone maybe thats why my Mac Address isn't changing.

Apple recently do know version started changing Mac Address's with updates.

Samsung at least newest phones change Mac Address everytime you turn them off and back on. Just tried this twice in minutes and each time I had to grant access to get internet on wifes phone

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7