× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6400 AC1750 Smart WiFi Router -- Router update failed

TechLady
Aspirant

R6400 AC1750 Smart WiFi Router -- Router update failed

Current version V1.0.1.6_1.0.4  New version V1.0.1.12_1.0.11               (Windows 😎 

Several failures. Initiated update from Genie. Then followed instructions to log into router, go to Advanced/Administration/FirmwareUpdate/Check. 

Contacting server...Reply is as follows: 

New firmware is found. Do you want to update the firmware?
Current GUI Language Version:1.0.1.6_2.1.38.1
New GUI Language Version:1.0.1.12_2.1.38.1
Current Firmware Version1.0.1.6
New Firmware Version1.0.1.12_1.0.11
Release Notes:
 1.   [New Feature&Enhancement] Improves port forwarding by allowing fixed and range ports to be added to one rule.
 2.   [New Feature&Enhancement] Forces the user to change the admin password in the installation wizard.
 3.   [New Feature&Enhancement] Adds admin password protection for ReadySHARE storage. By default, it is enabled for WAN access.
 4.   [New Feature&Enhancement] Enhances the ReadySHARE printer compatibility for HP printers.

5.   [New Feature&Enhancement] Uses a random source port for DNS query.

17. [Is last entry.]

[There is no place to enter a response to the question Do you want to update the firmware? ]

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @TechLady,

You can try to manually update the router's firmware then reset and reconfigure the settings. You can check the links below for the steps.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23289
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24830

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @TechLady,

You can try to manually update the router's firmware then reset and reconfigure the settings. You can check the links below for the steps.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23289
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24830

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 11
TechLady
Aspirant

Hello, Dexter, Thanks very much for your reply. I manually applied the current firmware, as you suggested, and all is well. I have to give you the feedback that the 2 articles you pointed me to (to manually install router firmware) are both about how to specifically allow or block individual wireless devices; however, you got me going in the right direction, and I found and followed this article which covered how to perform manual installation: R6400 Firmware Version 1.0.1.12 Article ID: 30765.

Thanks again,

TechLady |

Message 3 of 11
SueQKY
Guide

My update failed- but not in this same way.  I downloaded the update when it showed as available in the NetGear Genie. The update downloaded without a problem.  it was not until several days ago that one of my devices wasn't connecting as it had been. Because the microcell had all lights constant except receiving signal from my modem, I chose to contact my ISP.  After escalating the tech support level, (and moving up to the 3rd technician) it was determined that the new firmware version (1.0.1.12_1.0.11) was the problem. Returning to the previous install of v1.0.1.6_2.1.38.1 rectified the problem. Nothing on the update indicated that it is a beta version release... comments? 

Thanks.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 4 of 11
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @SueQKY,

1. May I know if you did a factory reset after updating to the latest firmware version? If not, we recommend doing so. You may find the link below helpful.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9665

2. Is port forwarding configured for the Microcell?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 5 of 11
SueQKY
Guide

Hi-

1.To be accurate, the update was actually downloaded and working well, several weeks back when I first saw the notification.  No, I didn't do a factory reset, only entered any configuration info it was missing as I progressed back into normal usage.  Friday morning I had a pop-up window on my mobile asking for my router channel password. I didn't enter it, because all had been working well up to that moment, and instead, after several attempts at just reconnecting, rebooted the mobile. At that point, the router reconnected the mobile to the ISP connection as per normal, without a re-enter of a password. It was after that when I found I had No Service for the cell - due to no signal to the microcell. Hmmmmm-

2. Am not savvy enough just yet to know whether the device is set to port forwarding or not. I'm sure I'll learn all about it now that you've mentioned that possibility!

Thanks.

Message 6 of 11
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @SueQKY,

We highly recommend doing a factory reset after a firmware update then reconfiguring the router. The Microcell should reconnect without a problem not unless there are additional settings required by your ISP.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 7 of 11
SueQKY
Guide

TY- the microcell connection interruption recurred yet again. I thought I had taken care of the password compromise issue involving the R6400 back when informed about it, but apparently had not.  I reinstalled the firmware update, reset the router, then re-entered all the necessary configuration info as needed, including new passwords.  All seems to be working well at this point.  Not sure if this question is addressed in a different thread, which I'll check on - how often do you routinely change the password on your router/channels?

Thanks!

Message 8 of 11
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @SueQKY,

Good to know everything is working fine.

If you are referring to the WiFi password, there is no specific time on how often you should change it for as long as you make sure that it is only you or the people/devices you have authorized to connect to your network that have the information.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 9 of 11
SueQKY
Guide

Well, not only the wifi channel passwords, but the router password, as well.  Do you make changing that password part of your regular maintenance tasks?  And, sorry to say, the microcell isn't working once again.  Have asked for an exchange, perhaps something wrong with the device. All the indicator lights are lit except receiving signal from the router/modem, it just blinks. AT&T continues to remind me that microcells do not work well with satellite service, but I purchased it at their suggestion to improve my cell service. So by golly, since I had to pay for it, it WILL work 😞

Oh, and about the port forwarding? Would you point me to any links that would instruct me as to how to do that, if still recommended? I've searched the community posts, but they're a bit over my head in tech info. Don't have a clue which ports to use alternately, how to go about it, etc.

Thanks-

Message 10 of 11
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @SueQKY,

What is highly recommended is changing the router password from the default one and have it different from your WiFi password.

Port forwarding will require specific information from the AT&T such as the port numbers and protocols. If you already have that information, you may find the link below helpful.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24046

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7