× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6400 - NAT for IPv6? Or at least disable IPv6 LAN DHCP / Auto Configure?

randy19827
Follower

R6400 - NAT for IPv6? Or at least disable IPv6 LAN DHCP / Auto Configure?

Hello all,

I would like to enable ipv6 on my R6400, but I don't want it to assign public IPs to LAN devices. I would like the router to perform Network Address Translation (NAT) for ipv6 in the same way that it does for ipv4. For example, instead of each computer having a publicly-addressable ipv6 address, I would like each computer to have a link-local address in the fe80::/64 range that simply uses the router as a gateway. This is similar to how each computer on the LAN currently has an ipv4 in the range 192.168.1.1/24 and simply uses the router as a gateway.

I prefer NAT for the extra bit of protection/obfuscation it provides. I don't currently have a hardware firewall.

Yesterday as a test, I setup a Linux VM as a gateway and got this whole idea/setup working with the router in normal ipv6 auto detect mode. However, this only worked for machines I was able to manually configure and wouldn't stop other devices from automatically grabbing a public ipv6 from the router. I have a lot of machines and don't want to worry about some of them being left in autoconfigure mode, or guests coming onto the network.

Is there a way to tell the R6400 to use NAT, so all local machines have link-local addresses and only the router has a real public ipv6 address? Or at least, a way to tell the router NOT to inform clients of the ISP's ipv6 block (so all non-configured machines simply use ipv4)?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7