Guide

R6400 Nighthawk Will Not Reach Gigabit Speeds

I have a R6400 Nighthawk AC1750 router that is not reaching anywhere close to gigabit speeds. I have the latest firware version V1.0.1.26_1.0.19. I have factory reset the router multiple times. I've tried every ON/OFF combination, including all on and all off, of settings that I read can affect speeds (WMM, QoS, Beamforming, Airtime Fairness). I've played with different MTU sizes with no significant difference, left at 1500 default. All my connection indication lights are white. My port statistics are Wan 1000m/Full, Lan 1 1000m/full, 2.4g 450m, and 5g 1300m.

I have Comcast gigabit internet 1000mbps down/ 35mbps up. I have a Netgear CM1000 modem. I'm also using Cat5e 350mhz UTP Solid wire. When I wire the modem directly to my laptop I get around 960mbps down and 40mbps up. I connect the same exact wire from the modem but now to the R6400 router. I do the speed test directly wired from router to laptop and only get around 300mbps down and 40mbps up. I disconnect the wired connection and try 5g wireless, and get the same 300mbps down and 40mbps up. 

Does anyone know what might be going on and why I can only get a third of the speed after being wired through the R6400 router?

Message 1 of 37

Re: R6400 Nighthawk Will Not Reach Gigabit Speeds

A slow link between modem and router is a regular here.

Things that people have tried to fix this issue with various devices:

• Ensure that the cable from the router to the modem is up to the job
  • Check that you have the latest firmware
  • Check that you have the right internet settings for your ISP (especially MTU)
  • Turn off QoS (you don't need that with GB INtgernet).
  • Turn off the Traffic Meter

You have tried some, the list is for completeness.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 37
Guide

It's not a slow link between the modem and router. It is something with the router. The cable gets 960mbps consistently when connected to my laptop. I unhook cable from my laptop and connect the same cable to the router and I get 300 mbps.

I have the latest firmware for both the modem and router.

All the internet settings are correct. The only possible thing that may not be correct is the MTU. I have read that 1500 works for Comcast. Other people have stated that you need the MTU size to be at least 3000 to run true gig speeds. This router has a max MTU of 1500, so that could possibly be the problem. Has anyone achieved gig speeds with this router even with a wired connection?

Everything everyone has mentioned is disabled. QoS, traffic meter, IPv6, WMM, beamforming, air time fairness, etc. I've also tried every combination of all of those settings on and off.

I'm probably just going to chalk this one up to this router is not able to run gig speeds and get another one and brand. I have read multiple posts about people having issues running gig speeds with netgear routers, with the exception of the R7800, R8000, and the R8500. Thanks for the help.
Message 3 of 37
Guide

I have the same problem, but only over wifi.

I cant get anything over 300mbs on wifi, but I can get gig speed wired.
I have try to call support, but they charger for there help.

Message 4 of 37
Guide

I could never get the problem solved with this wifi router so I upgraded to the AC2300-NighHawk X4S after reading reviews and had been verified by comcast. It works perfectly and I get top speeds all around. After doing research I saw that in order for you to get the top wifi speeds on the R6400, any device you are using had to be 802.11ac wifi capable or if it was not you would need a wifi adapter like the NetGear A6200 AC1200 USB adapter running into a USB 3.0 port. You also can only get top speeds on the 5ghz band.

Also for reference, the listed or rated speed can be deceiving. The R6400 says it is an AC1750 so you would think that means you can get speeds up to 1750 mbps but thats not correct. If it is a dual band router, like this one, they combine the 2.4ghz and 5.0ghz speeds so 450 mbps on the 2.4ghz and 1300 mbps on the 5ghz band equals the 1750 mbps. The same thing goes for a triband routers.

One last thing is that you can never reach the speed they say it can do. As an example, if it says it can do 1300 mbps that really means the effective speed is usually around half of that and thats if you have the optimal rated equipment. A couple of the reasons can be because of how far away you are from the router, any obstacles, other wifi routers in your neighborhood, any extenders on the wifi network, how much bandwidth any other devices may be using, or just compatibility issues with equipment.  

The Nighthawk X4S that I have now gets around 960-980 mbps down consistantly through ethernet. The best I get through wifi is around 550 mbps down. Part of the reason is because there are very few devices that support the 4x4 MU-MIMO and even my newer $4,000 gaming laptop only has a 3x3 wifi adapter. So again, if your not getting the speeds you think you should or close to whats advertised its most likely that your device/equipment is not capable of running those speeds because of the wifi adapter they use. Most routers are tested with the newest and best equipment and devices which sometimes aren't even available to consumers yet or they are really expensive to buy.

Sorry this was long but I hope it helped provide you with a little more information about this router and other routers in general!

Message 5 of 37

Very useful feedback. Nice explanation.

This bit is important:

@dquerry wrote:
So again, if your not getting the speeds you think you should or close to whats advertised its most likely that your device/equipment is not capable of running those speeds because of the wifi adapter they use. Most routers are tested with the newest and best equipment and devices which sometimes aren't even available to consumers yet or they are really expensive to buy.

If you dig out a 10 year old smartphone, no matter how grand the wifi source, it simply will not go any faster than it did when you bought the phone just because you have bought a new router.

The specifications of the wifi clients are also important.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 37
Guide

I must say something this router sucks.
I have tested on comcast own modem at my friend house, that have the 400 mbs and always hits a lit bit over and at my house I never saw pass the 350 mark even now with that gigabit speed.
I am using my iphone x for the tests.
Message 7 of 37
Guide

The Iphone X has a 2x2 radio (MIMO) so each radio can do 433 megabits per second and since there are 2 the max theoretical speed is 866 mbps. As I mentioned above, you usually can only achieve about half of the rated speed. This speed will be lowered by factors such as signal strength, connection type, internet speed, and network interference. 

For reference here is a link to Google Fibers chart detailing the maximum speeds achievable speeds per device (mobile wifi, computer wifi, and wired). If you google something like "Actual WiFi speeds vs theoretical", "MIMO speeds", "2x2 vs 3x3 vs 4x4 WiFi radios" or " WiFi bandwidth limits", really any thing relating to the details of specific wifi (N, AC, AD), it will explain all the reasons why you can't get advertised (theoretical) speeds. You can also find charts listing the actual speed you can expect from 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ad. You also have to figure out if your wifi router has SU-MIMO or MU-MIMO and what radio configuration it supports ( 2x2, 3x3, 4x4). If you have MU-MIMO and are running 802.11ac, what channels range does it support (80hz, 160hz, 80+80hz). 

I'm sorry for rambling on but there are so many factors that effect the actual wifi speed you see on your device. I never knew all this until I had problems with this router and started googling everything about it. I got very frustrated not being achieve the speeds I pay for. As I mentioned in my last post, the routers speed specs are usually based off having the newest and best device/equipment that, 1 - aren't available to the consumer yet and 2 - if it is it is most likely very expensive and would make the cost of the device even more.

So if Apple put a 802.11ac 4x4 MU-MIMO wifi client in the IPhone X, it would take the cost from $999 to maybe $1200-$1500. Most people wouldn't pay that much just to have a couple hundred mbps more, at best, on their wifi that already has speeds more than fast enough to do anything on a cell phone. I paid $4000 for a gaming laptop last year that doesn't even support 4x4 MU-MIMO and the adapter if I wanted to have that to acheive the best possible wifi speed cost $130 last year and only Asus made one. No other brand even had it available. Anyways, hoped this helped a little with why you aren't acheiving the speeds you think you should.

Message 8 of 37
Guide

In my rambling I forgot to mention that this r6400 doesn't support MIMO so it only has one radio (433 mbps theoretical max) and its only going to get around 200-250 mbps even though your Iphone X is capable of a faster 2x2 radio. The comcast router must have the capability of running atleast a 2x2 radio so that is why you see the faster speeds.

Message 9 of 37

Wonderful. Someone came along with an interesting question and then read the answers and understood what is going on.

If only other "why is my wifi so slow?" questions achieved the same result....

Just another user.

Message 10 of 37
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You are not alone.  I'm 100% hard wired and experencing the same 300Mbps cap on a Nighthawk R8000.

There IS an issue with some (if not all) of the Nighthawk line with regard to gigabit connection.  Netgear support has proven useless and simply wants to replace the router.  I tried to explain that this is my second R8000 now and the issue persists across the model line but unfortunately to no avail.  There's quite a few posts about this issue and quite a few community recommendations for "fixes," unfortunately none of them fix the issue.

It's sad my $35 MicroTik Routerboard can pull gigabit speeds but my $300 Nighthawk struggles.

Message 11 of 37
Guide

I don't think it is all of the Nighthawk line. I have the Nighthawk X4S r7800 now and get gigabit speeds wired and would get that WiFi as well if I had 4x4 mimo. I only have 3x3 mimo and get around 625 mbps WiFi. Overall I think never has some problems to address with their routers.
Message 12 of 37
Tutor

I'm using Comcast's own modem/router (TECHNICOLOR CGM4140COM)

in bridge mode and don't get close to 1 gig

on direct ethernet connection, less than 800 according to http://speedtest.xfinity.com/

It drops to about 300 going through the R6400, unless I disable IPv6, then it goes back up to 800. Don't use wifi, turned everything off, etc.

Guess I have to buy a new modem AND router, sigh.

Anyone have good luck with Arris 8200 and Comcast?

Model: R6400v2|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router—802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 13 of 37
Guide

I've never used Comcast rental equipment because it's usually not that great and even somewhat cheap equipment is better. I've tried everything possible with the r6400 and it just never worked for gigabit.

I can't speak for the Arris 8200 as I have never used it or looked through any reviews. Before Comcast offered gigabit I used an Arris 6190 docsis 3.0 and it worked great. When I upgraded my equipment to run gigabit I bought the Netgear CM1000 docsis 3.1 modem. I can tell you I have not had any issues running gigabit speeds from Comcast with this modem. It is about the same price as the Arris 8200 so if you don't find any information about it, it might be a good idea to go with the Netgear CM1000.
Message 14 of 37
Aspirant

I have the same issue with my R6400. Will not go over 500Mbps even though I have fiber. For that very reason last week I bought Nighthawk Gaming Pro, and guess what ... it's the exact same thing. It's already back in a box ready to go back.

I can skip the routher and plug directly into my provider's modem, using the same cables, and voila I'm getting 950-980Mbps.

Message 15 of 37

Have you tried any of the various suggestions for fixing this issue?

Things that people have tried to fix the "router is throttling my modem" issue with various devices:

• Ensure that the cable from the router to the modem is up to the job
  • Check that you have the latest firmware (and "factory reset" the device)
  • Check that you have the right internet settings for your ISP (especially MTU)
  • Turn off QoS
  • Turn off the Traffic Meter

Netgear also advises that you should turn off QoS if you are on Gigabit Internet. You don't need it.

Then there is the question about why this matters. Are you just measuring speeds, always a dodgy pursuit,  and feeling upset that you don't hit the targets? Or is the bottleneck preventing you from doing things?

Just another user.

Message 16 of 37
Aspirant

Honestly if my only issue was the speed I wouldn't worry about it much. I don't download a ton of things so whether it's 500Mbps or 950Mbps it doesn't much matter. About a month ago though I started experiencing significvant pocket loss while gaming, we're talking periods when it hits 50-100%. I'm mainly playing BF1 now and I have it set to show up a graph on screen when any network issues are occuring (it's an in game option). It lasts between few seconds to a minute and goes away. Happens with no rhyme or reason, intermitently, which means it's almost impossible to troubleshoot. This started me poking around my network and checking on stuff so that's how I noticed the speed difference. 

BTW, I had my ISP over to change their equipment and no difference. If anybody has any tips as far as pocket loss I'm all ears.

Message 17 of 37
Initiate

Disclaimer: I have AdvancedTomato installed on my router.

For anyone coming to this thread in the future, I managed to get Gigabit speed (Xfinity) on my R6400 by enabling CTF (Cut-Through Forwarding). For my firmware, it was in Advanced Settings > Miscellaneous > CTF.

My understanding is that this uses the specialized Broadcom chip to process packets, instead of using the router's CPU. This also means that many features like QoS are not possible (as they require special processing). I could not find the option on the default firmware with some quick search, but I'm assume that it's smart enought to switch to the broadcom chip once all special features like QoS and traffic filter are disabled.

All that to say that Gigabit speed is definitely possible through the router, so check your cables and play with the settings.

Model: R6400v2|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router—802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 18 of 37
Aspirant

What version of firmware are you using. I have an R6700v2 and I don't see "advanced > misc" option. 

Message 19 of 37
Guide

Mine dont have either and I am using a ddwrt firmware.
Still no luck with gig speed
Message 20 of 37
Initiate

Like I said, I use AdvancedTomato, which is a custom firmware. I'm on version 3.5-140

For other firmwares it might be different. My understanding is that on the default firmware, you don't manually control CTF, it's automatically turned on when things like QoS and filter are off.

Message 21 of 37
Virtuoso

I have been fighting this problem for several weeks on a R6020. I know the R6020 is a junk router. I have two of them. One doubles the other on throughput. Tech Support was of little help even though it is in warranty. All they wanted was my credit card. It was like talking to a telemarketer. I will roll back the firmware as a test. Failing that, I still have a nice switch.

Message 22 of 37

@TaterSalid wrote:

Tech Support was of little help even though it is in warranty. All they wanted was my credit card. It was like talking to a telemarketer. I will roll back the firmware as a test. Failing that, I still have a nice switch.

This sounds like you may have called one of those fake support lines that you get when you use Google to try to find Netgear's (well hidden) support numbers.

This is a fairly common phenomenon:

Tech Support a Scam - NETGEAR Communities

They have nothing to do with Netgear: you should go nowhere near them. They are scamsters who can do all sorts of nasty things to your system.

Netgear itself does not provide paid for support. It farms that out to GearHead Technical Support.

GearHead Support

Just another user.

Message 23 of 37
Virtuoso

I called the number provided by Netgear after opening the case. I saved the page with the numbers for just that reason.

Message 24 of 37

@TaterSalid wrote:

I called the number provided by Netgear after opening the case. I saved the page with the numbers for just that reason.

Doesn't tell us anything new.

How did you "open the case"? Calling a number you found on Google?

Tech Support will not ask for a credit card number because it doesn't sell support.

Just another user.

Message 25 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 15 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements