× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6400 add on another AP

Elklakenetguy
Aspirant

R6400 add on another AP

Hello, I am using my Netgear R6400 configured as an Access Point in a second building, connected to main router in main building via Ethernet using cable wiring and MOCA adapters.  It is working fine in the second building.  I would like to add another AP outdoors near the R6400 location.  Can I use an Ethernet connection from the R6400 AP to yet another AP unit located nearby outdoors?  Signal strength from R6400 outside is poor due to metal in walls of the building where it is located.  
Thanks for any help and insights. 

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions

Re: R6400 add on another AP

@Elklakenetguy wrote:

R6400 location.  Can I use an Ethernet connection from the R6400 AP to yet another AP unit located nearby outdoors? 

Should work. But you don't have to use another router. Any extender in AP mode should also work.

"Daisychaining" devices might not be as fast as you'd like, but it would be better than using a repeater. The R6400 does support "bridge" mode like that, but that it likely to be even slower.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies

@Elklakenetguy wrote:

R6400 location.  Can I use an Ethernet connection from the R6400 AP to yet another AP unit located nearby outdoors? 

Should work. But you don't have to use another router. Any extender in AP mode should also work.

"Daisychaining" devices might not be as fast as you'd like, but it would be better than using a repeater. The R6400 does support "bridge" mode like that, but that it likely to be even slower.

Message 2 of 3
Elklakenetguy
Aspirant

Just a follow up, this indeed did work just fine.  The Netgear router had a setting for AP, using the WAN connection, works great as an AP, I found that to get everything I wanted to work properly, I assigned the AP and the devices connected to it manual (fixed) IP addresses, which kept various wifi connected things from losing their connection.  

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7