× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6400 and DM200 setup

ardvaaark
Aspirant

R6400 and DM200 setup

Hi,

I have just bought a DM200 model and an R6400 router.

It is not dlear at all how to set together and I have not managed to get internet into the R6400

Does the ADSL setting happen on the DM200? Is username and password - I can get the modem to connect this way... but when I plug it into R6400 what then under internet settings? Username and passowrd again? Say that internet does not need username and passowrd?

Or is it all the other way round. I don't set up the DM200 - I just plug it into the R6400 and do all the setup in R6400?

I want the DM200 to work in Modem mode only.

How is it best to do it?

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
ardvaaark
Aspirant

Hi All,

Thank you for your assistance.

You were all helpful. The theme was set the modem into bridge (Modem) mode and configure the settings in the router with ISP username passowrd etc...

This would have been correct but I have not accepted any solution becuase of one thing that blocked it and the whole community needs to know. AC1750 does not have PPPoA. Even with latest firmware update. Confirmed by Netgear. What ????? Anyway no matter all your posts my ISP must have PPPoA so it never did work.

It is possible to leave the modem in modem+router mode, log in on the modem, say to the AC1750 that my ISP does not require a login, and then the modem will pass data to the AC1750. The problem here is you have double NAT double DHCP etc...

Fine, turn off the DHCP on one of them for example.... I tried that a lot but there were a lot of error mesages saying the IP on the router has been reset to 192.168.1.1 to avoid a clash with the ISP. In this case the ISP 'it' saw was the modem. The modem was passing a private IP to the router and that was stuck on 192.168.1.1, my whole network with many fixed IP's is on 192.168.2.x so I didn't really want to fiddle with that.

So long story short is that it didn't work terribly well at all. the root cause of all of the pain was no PPPoA in the AC1750 (R6400) - really poor netgear, considering it's quite highly priced.

Thanks all.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 23

All Replies
storm1985
Prodigy

> set the username and pw on the DM200 

> R6400 Internet setup

- require a login ? NO  

- IP address and DNS - dynamic  

> to set the DM200 to modem mode (By default, it is set to Modem + Router)

dm200.jpg

Message 2 of 23

Firstly I would recommand to configure the DM200 separatly.

Connect the eth cable from your PC to the modem and setup the device

THEN plug the eth cable to WAN port on the R6400 and setup the router.

Keep me posted.

Separate the issues!

Message 3 of 23
schumaku
Guru

@storm1985 wrote:

> set the username and pw on the DM200 

> R6400 Internet setup

- require a login ? NO  

- IP address and DNS - dynamic  

> to set the DM200 to modem mode (By default, it is set to Modem + Router)

Agree with changing the DM200 to modem mode - however, the DSL username/password has no function anymore. At this point, it's requires to terminate (and configure) the DSL connection (ie. PPPoE) on the router. Typically, this requires a login plus some more configuration - most DSL providers don't bring a transprarent LAN connection as we have ie form a Cable modem.

Message 4 of 23

Read the quick start guide for the R6400.

>>>>R6400 | Product | Support | NETGEAR<<<<

Follow the instructions carefully.

In particular, do things in the order set out there. That's important because the devices need to see what other has done.

If you have already started doing things in a different order, reset modem and router to factory defaults and start again.

Message 5 of 23
storm1985
Prodigy

@schumaku you are right. the configuration i suggested is if the modem is set to modem/router mode

@ardvaaark for MODEM ONLY mode - the username and password will now be on the R6400. 

steps:

1. Connect your PC to the DM200.

2. Access DM200 UI and set it to Modem only (as on the pic as posted).

3. Connect the the DM200 to the WAN port of R6400. 

4. Access R6400 UI and configure Internet Settings (with username and password from ISP).

Hope this helps u.  

Message 6 of 23

I do have a DM200 with an R8500.

DM200 is with Modem+router mode without any issues.

Message 7 of 23
schumaku
Guru

Configuring two NAT devices (like the DM200 in router mode plus Nighthawk) in the data path is a very bad advise. Avoid!
Message 8 of 23
ardvaaark
Aspirant

Hi All,

Thank you for your assistance.

You were all helpful. The theme was set the modem into bridge (Modem) mode and configure the settings in the router with ISP username passowrd etc...

This would have been correct but I have not accepted any solution becuase of one thing that blocked it and the whole community needs to know. AC1750 does not have PPPoA. Even with latest firmware update. Confirmed by Netgear. What ????? Anyway no matter all your posts my ISP must have PPPoA so it never did work.

It is possible to leave the modem in modem+router mode, log in on the modem, say to the AC1750 that my ISP does not require a login, and then the modem will pass data to the AC1750. The problem here is you have double NAT double DHCP etc...

Fine, turn off the DHCP on one of them for example.... I tried that a lot but there were a lot of error mesages saying the IP on the router has been reset to 192.168.1.1 to avoid a clash with the ISP. In this case the ISP 'it' saw was the modem. The modem was passing a private IP to the router and that was stuck on 192.168.1.1, my whole network with many fixed IP's is on 192.168.2.x so I didn't really want to fiddle with that.

So long story short is that it didn't work terribly well at all. the root cause of all of the pain was no PPPoA in the AC1750 (R6400) - really poor netgear, considering it's quite highly priced.

Thanks all.

Message 9 of 23

I configured my DM200 with Modem+router mode with the 192.xxx.5.1

Then the R8500 is 192.168.1.1 with no issues even with double DHCP and NAT.

You can try?

If you have still enough juice left keep me in the loop.

Message 10 of 23
ardvaaark
Aspirant

Cheers yes I could do that but I have a lot of devices on the netowrk and many fxid IP's and all 192.168.2.x

I don't want to do to the trouble of changing them all to 192.168.1.x

Message 11 of 23
schumaku
Guru

PPPoA typically can't be used in such a configuration - because the total packet length would be longer than a standard Ethernet packet. That's why (AFAIK all) these routers are supporting PPPoE (and PPTP to cover some Cable TV set-up) instead.

It's nice your ISP does support PPPoA as this allows a non-reduced MTU for direct DSL router connections. Does your ISP not support PPPoE, too?
Message 12 of 23
ardvaaark
Aspirant

Plus then if I do NAT, Upnp, Modem, DHCP all in the modem - why am I buying an AC1750 for £100 - it's just being used as a wireless access point in that configuration.

Message 13 of 23
ardvaaark
Aspirant

Hi

My ISP only supports PPPoA. Select PPPoE and it stops everything.

My provider is Sky in the UK. I think they badge it from O2 though.

Cheers,

Message 14 of 23
ardvaaark
Aspirant

What I really want is a DM200 but with 4 ports and parental controls in the firmware PLUS importantly the ability to have Open NAT..

That woudl be ideal - does netgear to do this?

Message 15 of 23
schumaku
Guru

Afraid ... so either use dual NAT (bad for exposing ie. a NAS to the Internet, I remember your username from another vendor NAS forum), use the DM200 as a router and deploy the R6400 as a pure wireless access point ... or switch to a pure DSL router instead. Double check PPPoA (when I have it right, some Dxxxx I had for testing have PPPoA available.

-Kurt

Message 16 of 23
schumaku
Guru

Replied before I've seen your post ... Open NAT or more OpenVPN?

Something like a D7000 would be feasible. Check Netgear's DSL offering, I'm not very fluent on the DSL stuff.

Message 17 of 23
ardvaaark
Aspirant

Open NAT

So basically a DM200 but with parental controls in the fiormware.

I could even skip the 3 ports at a push.

The DM200 is working great for me I have moderate NAT on all he kids PS4's etc...

But the firmware has no 'extras'

Message 18 of 23

"is a DM200 but with 4 ports and parental controls in the firmware PLUS importantly the ability to have Open NAT.." that is called a D8500!

Message 19 of 23
ardvaaark
Aspirant

£400 on Amazon - I don't think so 🙂

Message 20 of 23
schumaku
Guru

@ardvaaark wrote:

Open NAT

,,wahtever that is: There is no such NAT mode. The most easy way is to allow UPnP PMP (on by default on virtually every router), so Playstation & company can deal with port forwarding on the router automatically. Manual port forwarding or port triggering (things vary by vendor and game...) are feasible, but commonly limit to one "type" of game at the time, same when exposing a game device as a DMZ unit.

Message 21 of 23
schumaku
Guru

@ardvaaark wrote:

£400 on Amazon - I don't think so 🙂

D6400 would be the AC1750 DSL counterpart of the R6400.

D8500 is about the current high-end (leaving ac wave II alone) supporting two fully independant 5 GHz wireless networks, along with the 2.4 GHz one - thus nuked tri-band.

Message 22 of 23

Too bad for the D8500!!! :(:(:(:(:(!!

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7