× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6400 firmware V1.0.1.20_1.0.16 GUI V1.0.1.20_2.1.38.1 Netgear Genie won't log in

IndianaMark
Aspirant

R6400 firmware V1.0.1.20_1.0.16 GUI V1.0.1.20_2.1.38.1 Netgear Genie won't log in

So, Netgear support won't talk to me since my router is more than 90 days old...  Nice!  After the last firmware upgrade, Netgear Genie will not log into OpenDNS for Parental Controls.   I can log into OpenDNS via their website, however Netgear Genie will not log in.  I have reset and changed my password.  I have restarted my router and computer.  I have uninstalled and re-installed Netgear Genie.  Response from OpenDNS: 

I noticed from our backend that you are indeed connecting to OpenDNS from your router. Would you please try rebooting your router and then try logging in with your OpenDNS account?

If the problem still persists, I am going to advise that you contact Netgear support directly so that they can investigate the issue as this appears to be a problem with the Netgear Graphical User Interface itself:

Please use the link below to contact Netgear support:

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Please let me know how your support call with Netgear goes, I look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Elton Sia
Customer Support Representative
OpenDNS, Inc.

When I try to log in via Parental Controls:

The error I am receiving is:  There was an error signing in, please make sure you are connected to the internet and try again.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
IndianaMark
Aspirant

Re: R6400 firmware V1.0.1.20_1.0.16 GUI V1.0.1.20_2.1.38.1 Netgear Genie won't log in

The older version of Netgear Genie did not help.  It was the firmware.

I rolled back the firmware to version 18 and everything works fine.

There is certainly a problem with version 20 firmware.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: R6400 firmware V1.0.1.20_1.0.16 GUI V1.0.1.20_2.1.38.1 Netgear Genie won't log in

Hi @IndianaMark,

1. Please make sure you have done a factory reset on the router after the firmware update. The link below mat help out.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9665

2. Please try logging in using another device (iOS, Android, another computer).

3. Please make sure you are able to login to  https://netgear.opendns.com/sign_in.php

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 8
IndianaMark
Aspirant

As I mentioned before..,.  I have done a factory reset.  I have re-downloaded NetGear Genie.  I have restarted everything, in the correct order.  I can log into netgear.opendns.com      Doesn't the message from the Opendns guys saying I'm logged in mean anything!!!   Dexter, I appreciate your help, however I have posted that I have done all those things.  I just can't log into the opendns via Parental Controls using Netgear Genie.  The OpenDNS guys believe it is a problem with your GUI.  Did you read their reply?  I see in other forums that others are having the same issue.  Should I try to rollback my firmware update?  Thanks.

Message 3 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @IndianaMark,

1. Please try installing the previous version of the NETGEAR Genie program linked below.

http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=REeKS6fjPn

2. If the issue persists, please try using the previous firmware for isolation.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 8
IndianaMark
Aspirant

The older version of Netgear Genie did not help.  It was the firmware.

I rolled back the firmware to version 18 and everything works fine.

There is certainly a problem with version 20 firmware.

Message 5 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @IndianaMark,

Thank you for the update and confirmation. We will look into this.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 8

I did the firmware update this morning to v20.

Everything went to crap.  The network slowed to stall.  I could not use the Genie app to do anything.  I could still get onto the router using a web browser, thank goodness!  I tried adjusting setttings.  No improvements in performance.  I then tried to make changes on the wireless screen.  It stalls and locks me out of doing anything saying I have to "select region".   Well there is a dropdown pick box to select a region, at the top of the page.  however the box is greyed out and can't select anything.

Basically, this new firmware version 20 is riddled with problems.   DO NOT UPDATE TO THIS VERSION!!!!!

I have reverted back to version 18 and everything is back as it should be humming along.   Except of course the crap access control features that there is a 7 page thread on here talking about fixing/adding an improvement to that feature.

PS:  the opendns stuff with the Genie is absolute crap and a smoke show by NetGear.   Just go straight to opendns with your web browser and setup your own account for FREE.  abandon the Genie/NetGear opendns stuff.  It is crap and just does not work.  Lots of threads on here about that as well, and also as well with NetGear not doing anything about it.

Here is the best advice you are ever going to get wrt your NetGear box.   Go into the settings.  Turn it into a dumb wifi access point or bridge only, AP, and go and get yourself a seperate router that has real end user useful software.  Plug the netgear into your other router.  Enjoy the good hardware performance and throughput from the netgear, yet actually have a useable and user friendly router as your main unit.  Go buy a DLINK.   Basically what I am saying is the NetGear have decent hardware, but the interface and configurability software is just **bleep**.

Message 7 of 8
cariegel
Aspirant

I also have had problems with the V1.0.1.20 firmware.  After I upgraded several weeks ago I started having wireless connection issues with 2 of the devices in our house.  My phone, for example, is about 18 months old.  It has never had an issue with Wi-Fi.  But after the upgrade, I started having very slow service in remote areas of the house.  It worked fine if sitting next to the router, but go downstairs and it would fail.  Previously it worked anywhere in the house.  The strange thing was that the phone would indicate a fairly strong WiFi signal, but data just wouldn't flow.  Similarly, my son's laptop was behaving the same way -  wireless connection to router, but no internet connection unless sitting in same room.  After a couple weeks of frustration it hit me that perhaps the issue was the router firmware upgrade I had done.  So I downgraded to V1.0.1.18_1.0.15.  Everything is back to working fine on all devices in all areas of the house. 

Something's not right with the V1.0.1.20 firmware.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7