Re: R6400 unable to connect to modem after enabling downstream QoS

Cpfms
Apprentice

R6400 unable to connect to modem after enabling downstream QoS

Like several others here, I also now have a worthless router after enabling Downstream QoS. This happened while on the .18 firmware that released several weeks ago. Things had been working fine after that upgrade except that I had been noticing that my wireless devices, iPhone 7+ and an iPad for example, were being limited to 30mbps down on a speed test.

I have a 60mbps connection through Charter and have never had a problem getting the full speeds over wifi. I had some time to look into the issue today and I saw something that suggested that WMM HAD to be turned on in order to get the full "N" speeds. When I used the Genie iOS app I was able to see that my devices were only showing a 54mbps link. I went in and turned on the 2-WMM settings and also decided to enable up and downstream QoS. After hitting apply I suddenly no longer have any internet connection.

Looking at the Internet Setup I see that the IP field is blank. No amount of reboots, setting the IP manually, changing MAC addresses, or anything else is working to fix the problem. I think it is ridiculous that I cannot even report an issue direct to Netgear because I'm not going to pay for support. I have had this router for over a year and it has worked fine. The new firmware caused this problem and that isn't my fault. It sounds like support is aware of the issue but we need some kind of update on the status of a fix for this.

I'll also note that installing the .20 firmware has fixed the problem.
Message 1 of 10

Just one thought, you don't say if you did this, but if you ever have problems after applying new firmware you should try resetting back to the factory defaults.

Sometimes new firmware comes up with settings that are incompatible with the old configuration.

A reset isn't always necessary, but it is an obvious first thing to try if you have problems. And doing this has been known to fix problems for other people.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 10
Cpfms
Apprentice

I have not but there are several other posts on this forum with this same issue that have tried that and it hasn't worked so I'm not going to blow away all of my settings for nothing.
Message 3 of 10

You can save your settings and restore them if the reset fails.

You can even save them and restore after a reset although that could reinstate stuff that upsets the new firmware.

By not a reset that you deprive yourself of what could be a lifeline.

But the choice is yours.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 10
Cpfms
Apprentice

Just spoke with Alex from Level 2 support and he basically said if this affected you then your hardware is defective and needs to be replaced. However, unless you are still inside your 90 day warranty period they will not be replacing the defective units and you will need to go out and buy a new one yourself. Well my next router d@mn sure won't be a Netgear, I'll tell you that. Not to mention we had to play phone and email tag for weeks just for him to tell me they aren't going to do jack to make this right. 

Thanks for nothing. 

Message 5 of 10

@Cpfms wrote:

However, unless you are still inside your 90 day warranty period they will not be replacing the defective units and you will need to go out and buy a new one yourself.

That is outrageous and probably illegal.

Look at this page:

R6400 | WiFi Routers | Networking | Home | NETGEAR

It says:

This product is backed by a NETGEAR limited 1-year Hardware Warranty.

In some countries that would be the minimum, with consumer law providing further protection.

Just another user.

Message 6 of 10
Cpfms
Apprentice

I'm past even a 1 year warranty as of December so that doesn't help me either.
Message 7 of 10
Cpfms
Apprentice

My problem with that, though, is that I didn't do anything that caused it to break except install the firmware provided by the manufacturer so it should be covered regardless. Much like when a faulty car part is found and a recall sent out. They have to fix it no matter how old the car is or how many miles are on it. This is straight BS...

Message 8 of 10

So your previous message was misleading.

Nothing to do with 90 days.

Just another user.

Message 9 of 10
Cpfms
Apprentice

I was meaning an in-store return timeframe so that you didn't have to wait for one to be mailed to you, but my comment was not as clear as it could have been.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements