× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6400v2 2.4ghz network crawling, but 5ghz network fine

noether
Tutor

R6400v2 2.4ghz network crawling, but 5ghz network fine

In the past week or so, my 2.4 ghz network has been unusable. Many devices are suddenly unable to even connect to the network. Others can connect to the network, but not the internet, and others can connect but get speed limited to at most 1Mbps, even when the device is in the same room as the router.

The 5 ghz network doesn't seem to be having any issues at all. My service plan is 100Mbps down/12Mbps up, and I am able to achieve these speeds on the 5 ghz network just fine, so I know it's not an issue with my ISP. 

The strangest thing is that while my phone is connected to the 2.4 ghz network, the nighthawk app shows that the connection speed to the router is fluctuating anywhere between 1Mbps and 174Mbps over the matter of seconds. 

I have tried restarting the router, and this fixes the issue for all of 5 minutes, and then the problem is back. I am wondering if this is the result of a recent firmware update. Is anybody else having this issue, or does anybody have any idea what might be happening. I'm more than happy to provide any other information that might be helpful in diagnosing the issue. I would love to forget the 2.4ghz network and just rely on the 5ghz network, but certain devices can only connect to the former.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
wcalifas
Prodigy

Could be the recent firmware update, I would try to revert to the one before. You have to go to support on the netgear site and type the model number of your router and then apply the firmware manually

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
wcalifas
Prodigy

Could be the recent firmware update, I would try to revert to the one before. You have to go to support on the netgear site and type the model number of your router and then apply the firmware manually

Message 2 of 5
noether
Tutor

Thank you! It was indeed the firmware. I did revert to an earlier version and the problem is no longer happening.

Message 3 of 5
antinode
Guru

> [...] I did revert to an earlier version and the problem is no longer
> happening.

Revealing the working and failing firmware versions might increase
the value of this report to some future reader.  Just a thought.

Message 4 of 5
noether
Tutor

The problem was present while version 1.0.4.98 was installed, and stopped after reverting to version 1.0.4.84.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7