× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6400v2 Can't connect to the router itself

dougaday
Follower

R6400v2 Can't connect to the router itself

R6400v2 Installed firmware update which caused delays in connecting to websites or wouldn't connect at all. Tried logging onto the router to check the settings but it wouldn't connect to the router. Did a factory reset and the website connection problems went away but I still can't connect to the router itself. routerlogin.net says "refused to connect". 192.168.0.2 says "took too long to respond". I tried .1 and .0 with the same results. Please note: I am not even getting the router login screen.

Any suggestions, please?

Thanks

Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

you tried the default 192.168.1.1?

Whats it connected to for gateway? 

Sometimes during setup it'll change its default if you're gateway is a modem/router combo device. Then it usually changes to the 10.0.0.1

Message 2 of 12
DUIdui
Aspirant

Also have this problem after installing firmware V1.0.4.122_10.0.95.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 12

@DUIdui wrote:

Also have this problem after installing firmware V1.0.4.122_10.0.95.

Same question for you as the one from @plemans .

What is the modem/gateway (if there is one) in front of lour router.

Message 4 of 12
Tvestra
Star

Ah ha.. another log in porblem!

Dougaday says:

took too long to respond". I tried .1 and .0 with the same results. Please note: I am not even getting the router login screen.

The modem should be on the WAN side and the login GUI is on the LAN side, so what does the modem have to do with the inablilty to log in to the web GUI on the LAN side?

See more  posts at:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/V1-0-4-122-10-0-95-Update-on-R6400v2-kills...

Message 5 of 12

@Tvestra wrote:

The modem should be on the WAN side and the login GUI is on the LAN side, so what does the modem have to do with the inablilty to log in to the web GUI on the LAN side?

Why is everyone so keen to hide the details of their modems?

Yes, the modem is on the WAN side, but the modem and router have to work together. For example, when someone installs a router, among irther settings it has to establish a local IP address during the setup process. There are times when the router says to itself "aha, something on the WAN side is already using the IP address I want, let's use an alternative". If it does that, then the usual addresses for getting at the router's  GUI wont work and people would see login failures.

This is not theory. It has happened before now after firmware updates.

If you want Netgear to take these reports seriously – there are ways of pushing problems up the support ladder – then you have to rule out possible issues. Otherwise we risk wasting their time.

If you don't want to do that, fine. It is your funeral. But don't expect anyone to pay much attention to your complaints.

Message 6 of 12
Tvestra
Star

Yes, you are right, the router will change LAN ip address to avoid conflicts. That is not what is happening to me as my LAN address stayed at 192.168.1.1 and DHCP handed all my clients an address in that range. The WAN is at 74.x.x.x so ther is no conflict to resolve. If you are cascading routers, then you could have conflicts, but my router is connected to a simple cable modem. Nothing changed in the five minutes the update took to run. The web interface worked before the update, but not after the update completed. The R6400 router answers pings at 192.168.1.1 so the LAN is using that adress. I ran nmap and the http/https ports are not there, so the brower cannot access the GUI. Is the web service for the GUI running at a different ip address than 192.168.1.1 but everything else is running at 192.168.1.x? If that is the case then how would you access the GUI? All other functions are working on the router, so for now I am leaving it alone and next week will use tftp to revert to a previous version. I don't expect Netgear to care about my complaints, but there seems to be others having the same problems, so I expect they will eventually do something about it when enough users complain. Yes, it is my funeral, but Netgear dug the hole. 

nmap port scan of 192.168.1.1. Note the absense of the standard web server ports (80 or 443). Please tell me how I can enble the ports so I can access the GUI.

DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20211224122607.png

Message 7 of 12
Tvestra
Star

Oops. the screen shot didn't seem to take, here is the nmap I refered to. Hopefull it will display.DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20211224122607.png

Message 8 of 12

@Tvestra wrote:

Oops. the screen shot didn't seem to take, here is the nmap I refered to. Hopefull it will display.

It may be some time before the images land. To ensure that you aren't posting anything naughty, a Netgear moderator has to approve the pictures.

You can attach images to messages without any delay.

Message 9 of 12
wcalifas
Prodigy

You can always try and applying firmware through the tftp method even if your router isn't bricked. The same method we use to unbrick routers is a way to update the firmware if you're having issues with certain firmwares. Look on youtube "how to debrick a router with tftp."

Message 10 of 12
Tvestra
Star

FYI. I the could not get the tftp method to work, but when the router reset I was able to log on and revert back to .91. I restored my config settings and everything works as it should. I am a little leary of retrying .95 for now. Still do not know why the web server ports were not open when I was running .95. Thank you all for your help and have a good safe new year.

Message 11 of 12
ng_usa_user
Aspirant

after I installed V1.0.4.122_10.0.95, the webgui/http server was no longer responding.

I power cycled and webgui returned.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7