× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6400v2 creating bottleneck

danheinz1126
Aspirant

R6400v2 creating bottleneck

just had comcast out and we were trying to troubleshoot my connection. I pay for 1200 down and suddenly I was only getting 200. I had did some troubleshooting factory reset of router and restarting modem etc. I assumed it was in the signal and so did Comcast. We ended up replacing some connectors and cabling etc. Then we were still getting the same speeds. We ended up bypassing the router and plugging straight in to the modem. Boom 900+ down. I did a factory reset on the router again in an effort to correct the issue, but the problem is persisting. I previously was getting 900+ with the same setup.

Router firmware is V1.0.4.120_10.0.91

Cable Modem is Motorola MB 8611

This is over a wired connection, however the wifi is only at about 50% of what I normally get as well

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
cscott1
Guide

After doing quite a bit of reading in this forum of old threads the consensus was to roll back to 1.0.2.52_1.0.39

all the firmwares are found here https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r6400v2.aspx#download

It did help to get much faster speeds for me also tried the fresh tomato firmware but it didnt seem to help me but it did completely wipe all my settings and I was 100% sure nothing was carried over in any way. If you want to try it out it can be found here. https://freshtomato.org/downloads/freshtomato-arm/2020/2020.2/Netgear%20R-series%20initial%20files/

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12

All Replies
cscott1
Guide

Yeah I have the same service with Xfinity and the same issue with the 6400v2 downgraded the firmware which helped get more speed but ultimately bought a new router the Rax50 to keep up with the speeds much happier now.
Message 2 of 12
plemans
Guru

have you tried enabling ipv6?

What website are you using for testing? 

Make sure qos, access control, traffic monitoring, and parental controls are all disabled. Then reboot the device and test. 

Message 3 of 12
danheinz1126
Aspirant

Have you seen why? Everything I saw showed it should be supports and it did work for awhile.
Message 4 of 12
danheinz1126
Aspirant

Ipv6 was disabled I set it to Auto detect and it chose DHCP. Everything under qos is disabled except for WMM tab. All other settings are disabled
Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

Did it help?
Did you try a factory reset and new install? (don't use a backup)
Message 6 of 12
danheinz1126
Aspirant

I've done 3-4 factory resets. The one I've noticed is that it doesn't need to update the firmware after the resets so I think it's probably the firmware. I may need to roll that back.

Message 7 of 12
plemans
Guru

If the reset doesn't work, then I'd certainly try the rollback on firmware. 

Message 8 of 12
cscott1
Guide

After doing quite a bit of reading in this forum of old threads the consensus was to roll back to 1.0.2.52_1.0.39

all the firmwares are found here https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r6400v2.aspx#download

It did help to get much faster speeds for me also tried the fresh tomato firmware but it didnt seem to help me but it did completely wipe all my settings and I was 100% sure nothing was carried over in any way. If you want to try it out it can be found here. https://freshtomato.org/downloads/freshtomato-arm/2020/2020.2/Netgear%20R-series%20initial%20files/

Message 9 of 12
danheinz1126
Aspirant

I'm going to try the rollback. Turning on ipv6 did boost my spoeeds back up to 500-700 but not nearly as high as bypassing the router. 

It looks like Netgear needs to get this fixed, I'm not going to pay $90 for a support ticket to tell them their firmware is broken. 

Message 10 of 12
cscott1
Guide

Yeah thats a pricy support call... I wasnt particularly happy that the R6400v2 didnt work as I had hoped with my gigabit service. It is like a 5 year old device though and cant expect it to last forever. Instead of spending that type of money on a support ticket that would likely not resolve the issue I bought a lightly used RAX50 for 80 bucks on Offerup. I'm getting full gig speeds wired and over 600Mbps on 5g on a few of my devices the R6400v2 now sits in the closet as a backup if i ever have issues with my new router.

Hope you get yours running as you hope on the firmware rollback let us know how it goes. 

Message 11 of 12
danheinz1126
Aspirant

The rollback got me back to 900+. I had no idea this thing was so old and problematic when I bought it. I didn't see any negative reviews and it showed full support for the gig speeds. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7