R6400v2 located in closet

mrollinsiv
Aspirant

R6400v2 located in closet

I bought this router in October and didn't notice any real issues. I've moved the router into a closet where I build a shelf at the top. The router sits horizontal to the ceiling.

The issues are that if I have my laptop/iPhone in the closet I get full 200Mbps speed. However, if I close the door and move about 10 ft away that drops to on average 10-30Mbps.  The wall is thin and only has sheetrock and studs. My TV which is 15ft away caps at around 5Mpbs.  These are all connected via 5ghz.

Can anyone think of an issue?  Thanks.

Laptop - Mac High Sierra

iPhone X

Firmware on router: V1.0.2.50_1.0.38 (I downgraded it after reading others on here)

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
mrollinsiv
Aspirant

Re: R6400v2 located in closet

Also be known that the shelf I built is on top of the water heater.

Message 2 of 6

Any chance that there is some metal foil involved in whatever "sheetrock" is?

And 5 GHz has a shorter range than 2.4 GHz wifi. Tried that?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 6
mrollinsiv
Aspirant

Sorry sheetrock is just the branded name for drywall, similar to kleenex. There is no metal in it. I had tried using both 2.4 and 5 with similar results.

I have solved the issue at least in part. When looking at the settings of the router the WMM option was enabled. Disabling that made my TV jump to 65Mbps. While that is not the full 200Mbps I get when speed testing directly on the router this is likely due to positioning and signal strength.

Message 4 of 6

@mrollinsiv wrote:
Disabling that made my TV jump to 65Mbps. While that is not the full 200Mbps I get when speed testing directly on the router this is likely due to positioning and signal strength.

I'd be surprised if a smart TV got really fast wifi. Remember, it takes to sides to deliver the best speeds. The router can work its guts out churning out fast wifi, but if the client won't play ball, that's it. Remember, most "smart" stuff is stuck on 2.4 GHz. Mostly that'e all it needs, and it has a longer reach than 5 GHz.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Depending on the construction of a drywall, the signal loss is 10dB, up to almost 20 dB - so signal levels of 50% or down to 25% remaining. A comprehensive documentation is available in German -> BSI TR-03209 Elektromagnetische Schirmung von Gebäuden 

The marketing message of "all wireless" sucks (sorry Netgear) - wireless does only perform well in free air and direct line of sight.

Here is the basic "Trockenbauwand mit PE-Dampfsperre" design (commonly used worldwide) without any special RF shielding plates, colour, ... p.53:

Trockenbau Wand Abschirmung.PNG

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E