× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6400v2 loses all connectivity but all lights flash normal

Sab505
Tutor

R6400v2 loses all connectivity but all lights flash normal

Hello, my problem is that every few days, my R6400v2 loses all internet connectivity, both wired and wireless, but the lights on the router all continue to blink/flash as normal, indicating traffic is flowing and no lights are amber. On my wired PC, when this happens and I am logged on, the PC says that it is still connected to the internet, but web sites fail to load, outlook cannot connect, and attempting to log into the router via routerlogin.net or the router's home IP address (192.168.1.1) cannot connect. Cycling the power on the router fixes the issue, but I'd rather not have the internet disappear occasionally since our jobs now rely on a steady internet connection now that we are working from home.

I have read that the issue may be an IP address conflict, but my home network only consists of an arris cable modem (no built in wifi) directly connected to the R6400v2, which then has a wireless connection AND a wire running to a switch which distributes wired ethernet to several rooms in the house.

Is this a common issue?

Thank you!

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

You can try installing firmware version 1.0.3.66 to the router, factory reset it, and manually reinstall it. Then disable auto updates. The versions after that have netgear armor and some R6400 users have reported issues with it. 

If that doesnt fix it, then you would want to make sure its the router and not the modem. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What arris cable modem is it?

What firmware is on the router? 

the hard part is that its tough to determine if its the router or the modem. An easy check is to hardwire into the modem and use it for a while. If you're connection is dropping daily and you can stay running directly off the modem for that period, its probably not the modem

Message 2 of 7
Sab505
Tutor

The Arris cable modem is an SB8200,

The router firmware version is V1.0.4.84_10.0.58 (should be the latest)

Running directly from the modem is a great idea, unfortunately it drops maybe once or twice a week, and between me and my spouse and the kids, we have a plethora of devices that need to be connected to the internet, and my spouse also needs privacy when conducting video conferencing (therapist), so she can't be hanging out by the cable modem when working. (sad face)

Thank you!

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 7
Sab505
Tutor

Also, I should have mentioned that the R6400v2 was recently purchased (1-2 months ago) and the previous wifi router (Belkin N450 DB) never had to be rebooted.

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

You can try installing firmware version 1.0.3.66 to the router, factory reset it, and manually reinstall it. Then disable auto updates. The versions after that have netgear armor and some R6400 users have reported issues with it. 

If that doesnt fix it, then you would want to make sure its the router and not the modem. 

Message 5 of 7
Sab505
Tutor

I did a factory reset and rolled back to the suggested firmware, and it has been a little more than a week with no internet dropouts. Thank you!

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

glad to hear its working great again!

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7