× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6400v2 reboots randomly and under heavy loads

DyaDya
Aspirant

R6400v2 reboots randomly and under heavy loads

Hi,

I've been having a very frustrating time for the last 2 months with my R6400v2.  It seemed to be dropping randomly a few times a week.  Now i discovered i can make it fail by downloading a bunch of netflix content so maybe it was always failing before during random times of "high usage".  I have tried older and newer firmware and varied the MTU and transfer speeds.  Nothing works.  It seems like a software problem yet i cannot get anything to work reliably so far.  And i've had this for several years and no problems until the last few months. It last ran for 3 weeks no problem, then it failed again.  I checked out my system by substituting a TL-WR841N router, (a cheap TL router), and it works perfectly and never fails under heavy load.  The R6400v2 should kick its butt.  So...any solutions?  Is it possible that components wear out and cause timing problems agains the firmware which make it fail and there fore it really does have to be dumped?  It just seems like i would expect a harder failure but I don't know enough about the interdependencies of the firmware and possible partial component failure.  I have no problem replacing it if need be, but i hate to do it if its just a checkbox or something.  Or maybe there is some 3rd party firmware, but really, this should either work, or not with firmware from netgear.

Thanks,

DyaDya

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
wcalifas
Prodigy

Re: R6400v2 reboots randomly and under heavy loads

Theres is 3rd party firmware with dd-wrt but you have to read the instructions to do it and I'm pretty sure someone has a youtube video on how to do it. Have you tried a different power adapter, maybe its not getting enough juice under heavy download.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
wcalifas
Prodigy

Theres is 3rd party firmware with dd-wrt but you have to read the instructions to do it and I'm pretty sure someone has a youtube video on how to do it. Have you tried a different power adapter, maybe its not getting enough juice under heavy download.

Message 2 of 6
wcalifas
Prodigy

Was it the power adapter or did you put dd-wrt firmware on it?
Message 3 of 6
DyaDya
Aspirant

Thanks Wcalifas,

I think this is working!  I am a retired software engineer so i understand some things but this is not my area, but i am curious what's happening here.  If you or anyone else could answer some/all of the following I would appreciate it because i am curious...

I have had the router for several years without trouble and in just the last few months it started rebooting itself.  i have spectrum internet.  I tried several of the official firmware from netgear up to and including the latest a few weeks ago with different mtu sizes and transfer speeds.  Nothing worked.  This dd-wrt seems to work under heavy load. so...

-Why does the unit start failing after several years of working fine?

-Did spectrum change? ie, the data delivery from spectrum somehow doesn't work with the firmware anymore? 

-Do components wear out in the router and certain timing now comes on the edge?

-Can a heavy load require more power than the original adapter supplied with the unit and/or do the original power adapters wear out marginally and have to be replaced before full out failure?  And if so, how do you test to see if the power adapter is not up to snuff. 

-what is DD-WRT doing differently from any of the official firmware available form netgear that allows me to download big files now without the unit rebooting.  Basically turning my door-stop into a functioning router, (no thanks to netgear!)

Thanks,

DyaDya

Message 4 of 6
DyaDya
Aspirant

dd-wrt only!  no other changes

Message 5 of 6
wcalifas
Prodigy

Some of netgear's routers have buggy software , don't know what went wrong wigh thst router you have but glad uoubgot it working now.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7