RANGEMAX Duo Wireless N Router WNDR3300

DVNguyen
Follower

RANGEMAX Duo Wireless N Router WNDR3300

I have just recently bought a RANGEMAX Duo Wireless N Router WNDR3300 and expecting from a price of 80 bucks for a router that it would be fairly decent. But when I unpacked the router and started using it, it was sad to say this was a defective product. I lose internet connection every 20 mins or so and the whole router just shuts off for a good 5 minutes, even if i disconnect the AC power plug and reconnect, Lights will still not flash. So after the 5 minutes it will start flashing and turn back on.
Message 1 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: RANGEMAX Duo Wireless N Router WNDR3300

Router locks up or loose connection can be from torrent downloads etc.

Before you think it is defective, you might want to detail the the Internet traffic sctivity and/ or unless replacing with same products fixes the issues.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 7
Strider08
Novice

Try upgrading the firmware on the router. You can visit http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2612 to get the firmware for the WNDR3300. Also do a factory reset and reboot the unit. Set it up again and observe the connection.
Message 3 of 7
john1111
Aspirant

Hello, I have the same wireless router wndr 3300 with a wireless pen wndr 3100 but my computer is far from the router. How can I increase my router power/range? could I add an external antenna or anything to enhance the wireless transmission power? Thanks for any suggestion.
Message 4 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

mostly if you exceed 20ft you will have poor performance
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 7
Dan77
Tutor

I bought this unit two years ago at top dollar and it began acting in very much the same way yours has. Since tech support was of no use i began to trouble shoot.

I too use torrents and most times skype at the same time. Thinking that port traffic was the reason for the lock-ups I closed my torrent apps and skype but it would still freeze. The unit froze even if no electronics where connected to it.

I also tried both the newest firmwear and other previous versions but also with no success and solution to the problem.

I have owned previous NETGEAR RANGEMAX routers however and noticed that this unit gets a LOT hotter than its predecessors. In a last ditch effort I bought a cooling base(got it for around $15, the kind you place under laptops) and since its a USB powered unit I plugged it in to a "plug in the wall" USB power source. I placed the router on the base and bingo...no more freezes or reduced speeds. After months of stable running I tried removing the cooling base and the router froze within 20 minutes. I hope this solution works for you!

For those with range issues this unit (unlike previous ones) does not have a signal boost option you can use in the router setup(at least none that I have found). The antenas are also internal and unless you are ready to do some soldering you are out of options. Be mindful of where you place the unit, signal interference plays a big role in speed and range. While flourescent lighting can cause signal loss to wired connections(if placed too close), items like microwaves, house phones, baby monitors, can also cause some issues(if operating at same 2.4GHz or 5GHz frequency). Duct work and steel reinforced concrete will also diminish range.

Good luck to all!
Message 6 of 7
madhatter
Apprentice

Dan77 wrote:
I bought this unit two years ago at top dollar and it began acting in very much the same way yours has. Since tech support was of no use i began to trouble shoot.Good luck to all!

Try WNDR3300 Firmware Version 1.0.45 (North America only) - works great on my 3300
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements