× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK20 Speed Reduction from 1000mbps to 200mbps after Passing through Orbi Router

tfsquare
Aspirant

RBK20 Speed Reduction from 1000mbps to 200mbps after Passing through Orbi Router

I have started streaming and is internet speed demanding.

I found that eventhough my notebook is connected to the internet via lan cable [cat 6] to the router and the router to the service provider modem, the speed test told me that I only have 200mbps download speed from a government site speed test.

At first, I thought it was my notebook setting, since the orbi test speed told me of 866mbps download speed, so I have tried several settings which I google in the internet such as diable some energy saving options of the network card but no improvement to the situation.

However then, I directly connect my notebook to the service provider modem with the same lan cable, it offers a speed of 9xx mbps from a government site speed test which is near to the promised speed of the service provider. So, I am quite sure it is the orbi problem. Any ideas?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions

Re: RBK20 Speed Reduction from 1000mbps to 200mbps after Passing through Orbi Router

If your modem really is a modem/router, then you should see if you can find instructions on how to use it in "bridge" (modem only) mode.

If you cannot do that, then you can see if it works if you put the RBK20 into wireless access point (AP) mode.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in your model number and find the documentation for your hardware.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies

@tfsquare wrote:

However then, I directly connect my notebook to the service provider modem with the same lan cable, it offers a speed of 9xx mbps from a government site speed test which is near to the promised speed of the service provider.

And that modem is? Make and model?

Message 2 of 9
tfsquare
Aspirant

Hello, that modem is provided by the service provider around 3 years ago, Huawei EchoLife HG863 (GPON terminal). I do not think it's the modem's issue, since it can achieve up to 9xx mbps when connecting my notebook to the modem directly.
Message 3 of 9

@tfsquare wrote:
I do not think it's the modem's issue, since it can achieve up to 9xx mbps when connecting my notebook to the modem directly.

That's what a lot of people think. They are often wrong.

Many ISP modems are modem/routers that have to be configured to work properly with another router.

Some of the pictures that I find with a search for Huawei EchoLife HG863 show a row of LAN ports on the back. If so, it is a modem/router and it may indeed be a modem issue.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 9
tfsquare
Aspirant

I see. Thank you for the knowledge. So how should I configure such that they would be working well together? Since the service provider "configured" the modem that it would not accept more than on device connecting to it and that no wifi is coming out from the modem, but I need several devices connecting to the internet.
Message 5 of 9

If your modem really is a modem/router, then you should see if you can find instructions on how to use it in "bridge" (modem only) mode.

If you cannot do that, then you can see if it works if you put the RBK20 into wireless access point (AP) mode.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in your model number and find the documentation for your hardware.

Message 6 of 9
tfsquare
Aspirant

Thank you so so much!

I switch the RBK20 to AP mode and it works perfectly with 8xxmbps now.

Message 7 of 9
tfsquare
Aspirant

Though my laptop is working well now with lan cable connected to Orbi in AP mode, my other devices cannot connect to the internet via wifi, it said cannot find IP. I tried to type in the IP changing the last digits, but still not working. Any advice?
Message 8 of 9

@tfsquare wrote:
Though my laptop is working well now with lan cable connected to Orbi in AP mode, my other devices cannot connect to the internet via wifi, it said cannot find IP.

What are these "other devices".

What do you expect to do by changing "the IP"?

You have changed your network. The wifi devices may be confused. Did they ever work?

There are still some gaps in what we know about your network.

Does this Huawei EchoLife HG863 also do wifi?

As it is now, the EchoLife HG863 is your router. It handles addresses for things on your network, including wifi devices. That's because the Orbi is in AP mode. The Orbi is just one part of your network. Everything has to cooperate for it to work.

It seems to be hard to find the manual for the EchoLife HG863. Without that heaven only knows what is going on.

If the ISP provided the EchoLife, it should be able to guide you in how to use it with other things on your network.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7