Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR10 Orbi AC1200 Dual Band Mesh Wifi Router CONSTANTLY disconnects

corbenator
Tutor

RBR10 Orbi AC1200 Dual Band Mesh Wifi Router CONSTANTLY disconnects

We purchased the Orbi Dual-Band Mesh Wifi Rouer with 2 satellites back in November. It has been a dream so far, but in the last week we've had multiple issues with our wireless network going down. Here are the details:

• Last firmware update was on 2/26/21. Firmware is up to date.
  • Home router given to us by AT&T has had its wireless disabled since we installed the Orbi system back in November so as not to interfere with the mesh network.
  • Wireless network goes down inexplicably, but the one device connected to the Orbi router via ethernet is still connected to the internet.
  • Attempted to unplug both the router and satellites and restart again. No wireless connection still.
  • Attempted to re-sync satellites. App indicates they were still communicating with various devices in our home, but no internet connection was made.
  • Rebooted entire system through the Orbi app. System will reconnect to the internet wirelessly for about 6-8 hours, but will fail again after that point, requiring another reboot.
  • After first successful reboot, the Orbi app indicates that only one satellite is now connected to the Orbi router. I've tried to sync that satellite back up, but to no avail.
  • Attempted a factory reset and reinstalling everything. The system connected to the internet for about the same duration of time as after doing the reboot and ultimately required me to reboot it again.

In total, I've had to reboot the network about 4 times a day since Saturday (3/13) and the app indicates that one of the satellites is not receiving any data. In looking through other discussion topics, I'm seeing this has been a recent problem for a lot of people with this particular model and similar models, so I'm wondering if there was a bug in the most recent firmware update that is just now coming to light. 

Any ideas? Bear in mind I'm only moderate technically inclined, so use simple terms, please 😄

Message 1 of 14
Carpka01
Aspirant

A guy on another thread for this same problem said "downloaded previous version and manually installed it, fixed the issue with stability of internet connection."

Version with problem : V2.6.2.104

Version without probelm : V2.6.1.36

I personally have not tried this. But I will be when I get home from work!

Message 2 of 14
Reith
Apprentice

Go into NTP settings. Change the DST from Netgear to Manual server. Type time.nist.gov and will resolve your wifi issue. It is because of the time change recently.
Message 3 of 14
corbenator
Tutor

Where exactly do I go to change those settings? I don't have anything like that on the Orbi app and for some reason, the Netgear sure won't let me login to my router through Chrome.
Message 4 of 14
Reith
Apprentice

See attached PDF on where to go and make the changes. Use a different browser to login into your Orbi login account
Message 5 of 14
corbenator
Tutor

I've tried both browsers that are on my computer and neither will allow me to login to my Orbi. I've attached a screenshot of the error it gives me. Essentially, it says I'm not connected to my Orbi network, even though I am.

Is there a way to update this setting through the Orbi app on my phone?

Message 6 of 14
Reith
Apprentice

Make a new discussion and attached the screenshot and maybe someone can respond with a suggestion.
Message 7 of 14
Reith
Apprentice

Go into NTP settings. Change the DST from Netgear to Manual server. Type time.nist.gov and will resolve your wifi issue. It is because of the time change recently. See attached screenshot where to go.
Message 8 of 14
Reith
Apprentice

Go into NTP settings. Change the DST from Netgear to Manual server. Type time.nist.gov and will resolve your wifi issue. It is because of the time change recently. See attached PDF where to make the changes
Message 9 of 14
antinode
Guru

> [...] it says I'm not connected to my Orbi network, even though I am.

Did you try specifying the router's IP address, as suggested on that
generally useless error page?

> Capture.JPG

Welcome to the Orbi edition of what may be the worst error message in
the world.  For an explanation, try:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1365830

Briefly, the idea is that "[www.]routerlogin.net" (or ".com", or
"orbilogin.net", ...) should point to your own router, but that's true
only if you use your own router for DNS name resolution.  (Or, if the
Netgear router can intercept your DNS queries.)  Regardless, you should
be able to get to the thing using its IP address, if you can determine
(or guess) that.  Normally, that would be something like "192.168.1.1"
(for a plain router) or "192.168.0.1" (for a modem+router), but it could
be different. ("10.0.0.1" is a typical alternate, for example.)

A new complication arises if your web browser uses "DNS over HTTPS"
(and some real-world DNS server directly).  In that case, those
"routerlogin" names will typically take you to that misleading/useless
Netgear error page.  Specifying the IP address (instead of a
"routerlogin" name) should work, but there are some exotic cases where
you might need to disable "DNS over HTTPS" in your browser.

> Make a new discussion [...]

Why?

Message 10 of 14
corbenator
Tutor

I'm going to give this a shot. Unfortunately, the firmware version listed without any connectivity issues doesn't appear on the product page. The most recent update is version 2.5.1.30. I'm still going to give it a shot and see what happens.

Message 11 of 14
antinode
Guru

> A guy on another thread for this same problem [...]

Thanks for the helpful link.

> Version with problem : V2.6.2.104
> Version without probelm : V2.6.1.36

> the firmware version listed without any connectivity issues doesn't
> appear on the product page.

Which model did this "A guy" have?  Which model do you have?

Message 12 of 14
moffitrickie
Aspirant

@corbenator wrote:

We purchased the Orbi Dual-Band Mesh Wifi Rouer with 2 satellites back in November. It has been a dream so far, but in the last week we've had multiple issues with our wireless network going down. Here are the details:

• Last firmware update was on 2/26/21. Firmware is up to date.
  • Home router given to us by AT&T has had its wireless disabled since we installed the Orbi system back in November so as not to interfere with the mesh network.
  • Wireless network goes down inexplicably, but the one device connected to the Orbi router via ethernet is still connected to the internet.
  • Attempted to unplug both the router and satellites and restart again. No wireless connection still.
  • Attempted to re-sync satellites. App indicates they were still communicating with various devices in our home, but no internet connection was made.
  • Rebooted entire system through the Orbi app. System will reconnect to the internet wirelessly for about 6-8 hours, but will fail again after that point, requiring another reboot.
  • After first successful reboot, the Orbi app indicates that only one satellite is now connected to the Orbi router. I've tried to sync that satellite back up, but to no avail.
  • Attempted a luftreiniger factory reset and reinstalling everything. The system connected to the internet for about the same duration of time as after doing the reboot and ultimately required me to reboot it again.

In total, I've had to reboot the network about 4 times a day since Saturday (3/13) and the app indicates that one of the satellites is not receiving any data. In looking through other discussion topics, I'm seeing this has been a recent problem for a lot of people with this particular model and similar models, so I'm wondering if there was a bug in the most recent firmware update that is just now coming to light. 

Any ideas? Bear in mind I'm only moderate technically inclined, so use simple terms, please 😄

Hi mate thanks for asking the amazing question actually i am also looking for the same stuff, could you please let us know what is the best solutionn for home routers.?

Message 13 of 14
corbenator
Tutor

So in order to solve this issue, I reset back to factory settings and updated to the firmware version prior to the most recent update in February. Everything is working perfectly now. So I'm waiting to see when the next firmware update is and I'll give that a shot to see if they've fixed the bugs so many folks are dealing with.
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7