× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50/RBS50 dropping internet on 2.4 GHz only (affects iAqualink device)

jvman79
Tutor

RBR50/RBS50 dropping internet on 2.4 GHz only (affects iAqualink device)

I've been using a mesh system with RBR50 router and two RBS50 satellites for about a year. A month ago devices suddenly started losing internet connection. This has affected only Sonos and iAqualink ("smart" device that runs a pool/spa system). Those are also pretty much the only things that ever connect to the 2.4GHz band. I have gotten Sonos to work but iAqualink cannot connect to the internet at all, except for about 10-15 seconds if I reset that device. Their own tech support ran through all troubleshooting and replaced their device, but the new device is having the same problem and they say it must be Orbi.

Orbi is in AP mode, ISP is AT&T Uverse. AT&T replaced the modem, I turned off its Wi-Fi. I factory reset the Orbi. It was running in router mode for a while without me noticing, so the problem has persisted in both router and AP mode. I set 2.4 channel to 11 and set SonosNet to 1. That and a complete reset of the Sonos components seems to have fixed the Sonos problem, with a couple brief drops in internet access. Again, nothing on the 5GHz band is affected even for a moment.

The Orbi app says everything has internet access, including the device that does not actually have internet access.

Firmware is 2.3.5.30. Based on my searches, the firmware is unlikely to be the problem.

Every device in the house (about 20) is connected to the network. Every device except 1 now is able to access the internet.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I searched these boards for about a week and didn't see anything that quite fit this situation.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: RBR50/RBS50 dropping internet on 2.4 GHz only (affects iAqualink device)

Have you tried updating the firmware? The current version is 2.5.1.16

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Have you tried updating the firmware? The current version is 2.5.1.16

Message 2 of 7
jvman79
Tutor

I haven't. I'd have to manually update the firmware, and the notes to the update don't indicate that this was one of the issues addressed. My concern is that something obviously happened after about 10 months of problem-free operation, and it doesn't look like there's been any change in firmware that would have caused the problem. Is the newest FW update something that you think addresses this issue, or is it  something to try just to see if it works?

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

2.5.1.8 specifically has a note "fixes compatibility issues with sonos devices". maybe it also effected the iaqualink devices.
Message 4 of 7
jvman79
Tutor

Ah, I missed that, didn't see that FW version. Thank you, I'll give that a shot.

Message 5 of 7
jvman79
Tutor

Well, that seems to have done it. I had to wait until everybody was done with working/schooling from home for the day before I manually updated the firmware, and now we have internet connections on the previously affected devices. They've been up for 15 straight minutes, which is more internet access than they've seen in a month. Thank you very much for your help.

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear it! Hope it stays working for you!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7