× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 keeps dropping internet connection to devices, requires reboot every 12 hours

RGPvan
Guide

RBR50 keeps dropping internet connection to devices, requires reboot every 12 hours

Since going to the latest firmware, v2.7.2.104, some devices on my network like cell phones, both Android and IOS show they are connected via wi-fi but don't have an internet connection.  Streaming devices like the smart TV and PC's don't seem to be affected.  The only fix is to reboot the router every 12-24 hours to restore internet connctivity.  Anybody have an idea of a fix for this?  I am not sure what firware level I was at prior to v2.7.2.104 or how to roll back to that level.  Thanks.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Mjkotlarz
Initiate

Re: RBR50 keeps dropping internet connection to devices, requires reboot every 12 hours

I have been dealing with the same problem with firmware 2.7.2.104. I turned off the traffic meter and my wifi came back on almost immediately. I saw this fix elsewhere on this site. Hopefully they will fix this firmware issues. My tvs would work, but phones and tablets would lose connection every day until power cycle. Now with traffic meter off so far it is working.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
Jaym42364
Initiate

I'm experiencing the same issue.  Although my TiVo also keeps disconnecting from the network.

Message 2 of 11
RGPvan
Guide

Now, today I notice that indead the router has totally disconnected all devices from the internet before I had to reboot.  Smart TV's, my PC and all smart devices lost contact with the internet.  Not sure how this works.  I hope someone from Netgear support monitors these community posts!

Message 3 of 11
hisself
Star

I noticed the same thing happening.  In my case (RBR50 with 2 RBS50 satellites) I have a wired company laptop with a VPN that mostly stays connected, even when my other wired PCs drop.  The wireless stuff keeps dropping.  I am on the latest firmware v2.7.2.104.

If this keeps up I shall have to change routers. Considering their total lack of support, why should I consider a Netgear product?

Message 4 of 11
RGPvan
Guide

Hisself, I agree with you about Netgear's apparent lack of support.  When their firmware is broken, there seems to be no way to contact them without buying support.  Looked at my reciept and I purchased this system (like yours) 14 months ago, so i'm all out of support, also.  I was hopeful that Netgear tech support might check these Community pages once and awhile and give some hope that they are working on the problem.  I am now having to reboot the Orbi every 8 hours of up time to keep WIFI devices connected to the internet.  The hard wired devices seem to keep communicating longer to the internet than WIFI devices.

Message 5 of 11

Not sure if the fix suggested here will work, I just tried it but have been having the same issues as well. Something wonky in the traffic meter. Looks like there was actual NetGear commentary which would be nice if they stickied a response for us all to find instead of combing through hoping to find wisdom. If not helpful, apologies. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orb-RB40-MAJOR-DNS-Issue/td-p/2071117/page/2

Message 6 of 11
hisself
Star

Thank you. I just turned it off, we will see if it helps.

It would be nice if Netgear would provide help with these problems - the same problem has been posted here for several years. We (the Community) do not work for Netgear, why should we be doing their customer service?

Message 7 of 11
RGPvan
Guide

Giving the referenced fix a try.  Will let you know if it helps.  Thank you!

Message 8 of 11

Agreed, I haven't had the dropping issue since I turned it off. will keep monitoring it but hopeful which I could not say a week ago.

Message 9 of 11
Mjkotlarz
Initiate

I have been dealing with the same problem with firmware 2.7.2.104. I turned off the traffic meter and my wifi came back on almost immediately. I saw this fix elsewhere on this site. Hopefully they will fix this firmware issues. My tvs would work, but phones and tablets would lose connection every day until power cycle. Now with traffic meter off so far it is working.
Message 10 of 11
RGPvan
Guide

We have a winner!  My Orbi has been up and running 3 days and performing well after turning off the traffic meter.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 13 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7