× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 router appears to be bricked after factory reset

The_Zyph
Aspirant

RBR50 router appears to be bricked after factory reset

I am passing on my RBR50 and 3 satellites to a relative, so I performed a factory reset on all of the devices in preparation for that.  When trying to install them in the new house, though, I cannot get anything other than a flashing white ring on the RBR50.  It is not pulsing...just flashing.  I have tried performing another reset and all of the power/wait/reset items that I have found online in the various forums and nothing has worked.  I even left it powered up for a few hours -- nothing but white flashing.  Can't see if from the app or the network, in general.

I then moved on to the firmware update directly connected to my laptop and that is a no-go either.  I set my ethernet adapter to ip 192.168.1.10 / mask 255.255.255.0 / gw 192.168.1.1 and performed the Orbi reset steps again.  (Note: During a reset, mine flashes amber 5 times then returns to green solid.  I've seen many posts/docs saying that I need to wait for 10 flashes, but it never makes it to 10 before returning to solid green.)  On my laptop, my ethernet connection shows "Unidentified network" after "Attempting to authenticate" and I cannot ping 192.168.1.1, so I cannot upload the firmware.  I have tried all 3 ethernet ports on the RBR50 and all do the same thing.  Unfortunately, this means that I can't provide any information regarding what firmware it is currently running...auto-updates were on, so who knows.  

Is there ANY method that someone has come up with to access this device and see what is going on?  I am an IT professional, well versed in Linux, so if there is anything there that someone has found, I'm willing to try it.  Just pains me to see something this expensive turn into a paper weight.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
antinode
Guru

Re: RBR50 router appears to be bricked after factory reset

> [...] I cannot get anything other than a flashing white ring on the
> RBR50. [...]

You may be a candidate for the TFTP recovery scheme.  See, for
example:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1622096#M102004

> [...] I set my ethernet adapter [...]

That's part of the TFTP scheme, so you're on the way.  (It's critical
if the router is dead enough that its DHCP server isn't working.)

> [...] I've seen many posts/docs [...]

Thanks for the helpful links.

My Orbi experience/expertise is nil, but if the flashing lights don't
match the published descriptions, then you might want to do some
experimental variation in the timing of the "PUT" command in the TFTP
procedure.

> [...] I have tried all 3 ethernet ports [...]

Any of the LAN ports should work as well as any other LAN port.

Message 2 of 4
antinode
Guru

Re: RBR50 router appears to be bricked after factory reset

> [...] here are the links/instructions I have already tried: [...]

I could (but won't) read thousands of such items and still have no
idea what you actually did, and still less of an idea of what happened
when you did whatever you actually did.

Possibly more appropriate forums:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/ct-p/home-orbi

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors