× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 3.2.18.1 - No communication with ISP, drops every 2 hours

Rhmorgan67
Guide

RBR850 3.2.18.1 - No communication with ISP, drops every 2 hours

In January 2021 my RBR850 updated firware to version 3.2.16.22. Every two hours my router would disconnect and I would have to unplug, and reboot. I checked with my ISP and every 2 hours when their server checked-in with my router - the Orbi didn't respond - so it dropped. I manually installed the old firware, 3.2.16.6_1.4.4 and everything turned back to normal. I have been using that firmware since January with no issues whatsoever.

Yesterday my RBR850 automatically downloaded the new firmware version 3.2.18.1 and my service began to drop every two hours again. I manually loaded 3.2.16.6_1.4.4 and it everything functioned normally. However, the new firware update, once again, automatically loaded in the middle of the night - and now it disconnects every two hours again. 

Why is the new firmware version being forced on me? Is there a way to stop it from loading? The issue is with the new firmware, no doubt. Something is not right with it and is causing the router to NOT reply every two hours with my ISP. Something changed after 3.2.16.6_1.4.4. How can I stop 3.2.18.1 from loading automatically?

Message 1 of 6
No1Mportnt
Luminary

Re: RBR850 3.2.18.1 - No communication with ISP, drops every 2 hours

Have you looked under the Advance  -> Administration -> Router Update in the router configuration app and disabled the auto update feature?  That should prevent the update from being applied automatically.  That is where it is found in my configuration.

Message 2 of 6
Rhmorgan67
Guide

I've been on with Netgear support, we did a factory reset of the modem and the little box does not exist on my screen. There should be a box that says, "automatic updates" or something like that, but there isn't. They said when first setting up the router, I may have chosen auto updates and so the box disappeared, but doing a factory reset should have made the box return - but it didn't. They are now supposed to call me back in 2-3 hours...

Message 3 of 6
No1Mportnt
Luminary

Not sure why the box is not there but I do know on mine you can select your choice and the other selection is still there.  Hopefully, they will have the answer when the call you back.  

Message 4 of 6
Rhmorgan67
Guide

GearHead tech support doesn't know how to fix this. First guy said to go to Backup Settings and choose "erase" to reset to factory default settings. He thought that would make the box that says, "auto updates" appear again in the Firmware Update section. If it reappeared I would be able to uncheck the box and only allow for manual updates. However, the little box did not appear. He said he would call me in 2-3 hours. He never called. 6 hours later I called and spoke to a woman. She had me change the 2.4 GHZ channel to "9", keep the 5GHZ at 48 and change the WAN MTU from 1500 to 1147. Nothing changed. I am now on my 3rd technical support call. He just came on the line and said he has to check with the "L2" Department. I asked him what that meant and he said it's "Level 2 Tech Support." I'm on hold to see what he comes back with...

Message 5 of 6
Rhmorgan67
Guide

Netgear has officially disabled the ability to refuse automatic firmware updates. So, that means if they screw up their newest firmware - there's nothing you can do about it. Even though you can "manually" install an older version, it will upload the new version while you sleep at night to make sure you wake up with the same problem! 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7