× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Random drops on R6020

DrakeSilvos
Aspirant

Random drops on R6020

Repost here since I thought it was a Nighthawk. 

So the connection on this will randomly cut out for up to 30 seconds at most at least once an hour, sometimes even thrice. I updated it to FW 1.0.0.52 recently hoping that would fix it but nope, and I've used the other fixes for this problem that I've seen in related posts like changing the channel and lowering MTU to 1420 but still no change. Modem is an Arris TM1602A from Spectrum. Have yet to factory reset, probably will do that later. I also often have command prompt pinging google just to see when this happens because paranoid I guess.

connection drops.JPG

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Random drops on R6020

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

This happening over a wired and wireless connection?

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://highspeed.tips/docsis-events/

Try the factory reset. 

Message 2 of 6
DrakeSilvos
Aspirant

Yeah I've gone through the motions with Spectrum and they said the modem is fine. And yeah this happens on wired too.

Message 3 of 6
DrakeSilvos
Aspirant

It's also happening much more frequently the past few days, possibly a result of me trying different channels I can't tell. At this point I'm just considering a new router.

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 5 of 6
DrakeSilvos
Aspirant

2 neighbours, I've had it happen with every channel.

Edit: Though strangely it's been fine for the past hour now that I'm trying 6 again, with 5ghz on 153. Whereas for the whole day it was having those drops almost every 10 minutes. Bizarre.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7