× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Randomly disconnects WiFi throughout the day

Yinzer1
Star

Randomly disconnects WiFi throughout the day

I running the Nighthawk X6 R8000 WiFi router and it periodically drops signal throughout the day. I'm utilizing the smart connect feature, that I'm not too fond of. I also have a Nighthawk X6S Extender. I'm not sure why the WiFi keeps dropping randomly as it is extremely frustrating when kids are online for school and I'm trying to work. I've seen many posts of the same issue, but is there a permanent fix?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

what modem/gateway is it connected to?

What firmware is on it? 

have you tried it without the extender running to see if it drops?
Do wired devices drop as well or just wireless? 

which extender is it (model number) and what firmware version is it on?

Message 2 of 10
Yinzer1
Star

I have the Arris SB8200 modem for gig internet. I'm not sure of the firmware on the modem - I actually never did anything with it since I purchased it!  The Nighthawk X6 R8000 has firmware v1.4.1.64_1.3.25. I'm using the Nighthawk X6S EX8000 extender. I need to check the firmware but I installed it about 3 months ago.

I haven't disconnect the extender to see if that's the issue, but only wireless devices are affected. Anything wired to the router doesn't lose signal. 

I'll disconnect the extender to see if this improves.But honestly I had another Netgear router before the X6 that had the same issue. Had to keep rebooting. I may have to move on from Netgear products.

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

You must have the R8000P not r8000 based off your firmware. 

A couple things to try. 

1. reinstall firmware version 1.4.1.42. factory reset the router and do a clean install. By clean i mean don't use a backup configuration. disable auto updates. The newer version got the netgear armor "upgrade". most devices played nicely with it but it seems like a few didn't.Maybe yours is one of those. 

2. The EX8000 is a solid extender. the only thing I did with mine is during setup, i unchecked "extend 2.4gh". You can still use the 2.4ghz but it relies on the 5ghz for backhaul only.  Usually if the 5ghz goes down, it drops back to the 2.4ghz as backhaul. But my area is horrible for 2.4ghz so I unchecked it so it wouldn't do that. Not sure if it'll help you but worth a chance. 

I'd try doing those 2 and seeing how it works. 

I'd also make sure not to use wan port aggregation. The SB8200 and the r8000p supports it but the sb8200 was known to have issues with wan port aggregation. so if using it, disable it. 

Message 4 of 10
Yinzer1
Star

Thank you. I'll give it a try.

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

Let me know how it goes!

Message 6 of 10
Yinzer1
Star

I took your recommendation about removing the 2.4 from extender and everything is working fine now. No drops as of yet, it's been about 20 hours since the change. I didn't downgrade the firmware from the router as the issue was there prior to any firmware upgrades. I also noticed my wifi signal strength has been full bars as before it would flucuate.

But so far so good - thanks for the advice!

Message 7 of 10
Yinzer1
Star

Two week update - dropped wifi connection is back. When connected to an area where a router is located, it says I have full signal yet when I go to another floor I start to get notifications and emails. The lights on the Extender are stating that I'm online etc, but it appears that no data is reaching my devices, if that makes any sense.  I'm using the Nighthawk X6 AC3200 with the Nighthawk X6S EX8000 - I know they are good equipment, but why can't I get them to have solid performance?

Message 8 of 10
plemans
Guru

did you try the downgrade on the firmware?

Message 9 of 10
Yinzer1
Star

I haven't yet. But I just noticed there's a new update as of 12/21. Let me try that, if no luck I'll downgrade. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7