× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Randomly disconnects from the internet

russgoff
Aspirant

Randomly disconnects from the internet

We have a R6080 router installed. No modem. We lose internet connection randomly throughout the day and night. Goes offline for 1-3 minutes, then returns. Performance improves after a reboot, but steadily gets worse over the course of several days, and has to be rebooted again.

Model: R6080|AC1000 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
russgoff
Aspirant

Re: Randomly disconnects from the internet

I'll go through the list, plemans, and thank you for taking the time to help me.

It's a new router, only a couple of months old, but we've been having these issues from the start and I realize that just because it's new doesn't mean it's faultless.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Whatt type of service are you connected to so you don't have a modem?

IE what gateway device/setup is it connected to? 

Firmware on the router?

Is it all devices loosing connection, wired device, just wireless? 

Message 2 of 7
russgoff
Aspirant

Hi plemans,

We have Yondoo broadband. Yondoo broadcasts signal and we pick it up via wireless dish antenna. The technician has been out to verify that the signal is strong and even. You'll have to tell me what IE gateway device is. Same goes for firmware (how do I find it). I did an experiment and ran hardwire ethernet cable to my MacBook Pro dock, and kept my old Dell laptop wireless. Both lost the connection.
Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

Firmware should be on the status page when you log into the router. 

I found basic info on yondoo but not much for details on the setup as you needed an account.  Some of the broadcast wireless setups actual have a type of minirouter built into them. Which can cause conflict becuase then theres 2 routers running on the network. 

An easy way to check? Connect a switch to the ethernet coming into the home. If you can connect and run more than 1 device off that switch at a time, something handling routing.

Message 4 of 7
russgoff
Aspirant

I called the provider, who confirmed that there is no minirouter to contend with.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

@russgoff wrote:

I called the provider, who confirmed that there is no minirouter to contend with.

testing things is better than trusting phone support people. 

If you're 100% sure of that then you've narrows it to:

1. the ethenet line running has issues. Try a new ethernet run and make sure its good and stable.

2. The firmware on the router is corrupt. You can try re-installing the firmware to it. A reset only removes settings, it doesn't overwrite firmware. which is were the re-install of the firmware comes in. 

3. The hardware is bad. Try a old/backup router and see if it stays stable and works. If it experiences the same issues, then its not the router. 

4. The wireless receiver/setup has issues. Again, try a different router if you've exhausted the other options. if it still has the issues, its the wireless receiver setup. 

Message 6 of 7
russgoff
Aspirant

I'll go through the list, plemans, and thank you for taking the time to help me.

It's a new router, only a couple of months old, but we've been having these issues from the start and I realize that just because it's new doesn't mean it's faultless.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7