Re: ReadySHARE password protection for access from internet?

Natheran
Novice

ReadySHARE password protection for access from internet?

Is there any way to protect the access from the internet on ReadySHARE hosted files with a password?
Message 1 of 11
Rhyalus
Apprentice

Sort of...

But you can only use the admin acct / pw for the modem itself... there is no way to create new acct / pw.

R
Message 2 of 11
Mojave
Aspirant

How do you access ReadyShare drives from the Internet? I didn't think that is possible until they give us another firmware update.
Message 3 of 11
Natheran
Novice

thx for your replies

Im sad, that it is currently legal access data, stored on a ReadySHARE device over the Internet while I am using the dlna service...
Message 4 of 11
Natheran
Novice

sorry for that:

Natheran wrote:
thx for your replies

Im sad, that it is currently legal access data, stored on a ReadySHARE device over the Internet while I am using the dlna service...

I didn't understand it too when I read it a second time...

... that there is currently no legal way to acces data stored on a Ready Share device while dlna service is running (because the media server needs the media fildes to be unprotected)...
Message 5 of 11
Rhyalus
Apprentice

Maybe I am not understanding - but if you want to access external hard drive data that is hooked up to the WNDR4500 you need to go to Advanced / USB Storage / Advanced Settings and turn on FTP and/or HTTPS access from the internet.

You can create specific folder access in the section down below.

The bad thing is that you cannot create new user / pw for the different shares. It is either completely open or it is the same user / pw as admin.

R
Message 6 of 11
StratmanX
Tutor

Rhyalus wrote:
The bad thing is that you cannot create new user / pw for the different shares. It is either completely open or it is the same user / pw as admin.

R

Could one use an encryption application to encrypt and password protect different shares? I don't use ReadySHARE or encrypted files/folders, but I know it's possible to encrypt and password protect files/folders/drives.
Message 7 of 11
Natheran
Novice

shure... i could encrypt my files and they would be safe.
but how shall i teach the router to decrypt it before they are streamed?

i could also set a firewall in front of the router which authenticates access from the internet....
but i think there should be a possibility to use both features (Mediaserver and access from internet)(without comming in conflict with law or use such tricks)
Message 8 of 11
StratmanX
Tutor

Natheran wrote:
shure... i could encrypt my files and they would be safe.
but how shall i teach the router to decrypt it before they are streamed?

Like I said, I don't know the ins and outs of encryption software, such as where decryption takes place when dealing with a server and client LAN situation.
Message 9 of 11
Rhyalus
Apprentice

The question is one of access; when someone FTP's or uses HTTPs to your IP, they will be either prompted for a user / pw - in which case it is admin / modem password, OR no login at all.

In theory, you could encrypt the data on the share so that anyone who connected to the drive would not be able to use the data, but that is not really ideal.

The real solution is for Netgear to allow different user accounts with specific share / file authorities.

R
Message 10 of 11
StratmanX
Tutor

Rhyalus wrote:
The real solution is for Netgear to allow different user accounts with specific share / file authorities.

People need to query my.netgear.com en masse. The more people asking for this useful capability the more likely it will be addressed.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements