Aspirant

Readyshare Vault restore to different computer doesn't show any files

The hard drive on my old WIndows PC died.  This PC has been automatically backed up for the last year and a half using ReadyVault Backup.  When I now try to restore onto another computer, I go to the Restore tab in ReadyShare vault, click "Restore from different location", find my backup (e.g. MyPC_Backup) and hit OK.  Then nothing happens -- no messages, no errors, just no backup files displayed.

I know I can go into the backup directories to get my files (that seems to be the solution posted to this problem).  That works for most of them, but my Outlook data file is over 2 GB, and the backup utility seemed to break all the changes to it into small chunks (<some long name>.0, <some long name>.1, etc, up to .589, along with corresponding .db files).  I was able to copy the .0 file, rename it to a .pst, and get Outlook to use it, but that's about 1 1/2 years old and is missing the other 589 updates ...

How can I get ReadyShare to find my backup files so I can restore this Outlook file to the latest update?  Or is there any trick or utility I can use to get this one file restored?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 15
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Readyshare Vault restore to different computer doesn't show any files

Welcome to the community, @paulwg

What's the version of your ReadySHARE Vault?

You may want to try to use the ReadySHARE Vault beta

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 2 of 15
Aspirant

Thank you Elaine!

I don't know the version of ReadyShare that was used for the backup (that hard drive is dead).  For the restore I was using a version I downloaded off the readyShare Vault page a few days ago.  I just downloaded and installed the Beta, and I have the exact same problem.  Both the backup and restore PC's are on Windows 10.

Let me know what other info I can provide.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 15
Aspirant

I turned on logging and I see this in the log:

03/20    16:28:08    [None]    [Info]    File : Z:\User_LAPTOP_Backup\db_sys\Index.db.9
03/20    16:28:08    [None]    [Info]     CIndexDB:Smiley Surprisedpen --Enter
03/20    16:28:09    [None]    [Info]    Error ... CIndexDB:Smiley Surprisedpen ... SQLITE_FULL[13]: database or disk is full
03/20    16:28:09    [None]    [Info]     CIndexDB:Smiley Surprisedpen --LEAVE
03/20    16:28:09    [None]    [Info]     CIndexDB::Close --Enter
03/20    16:28:09    [None]    [Info]     CIndexDB::Close --LEAVE

I'm not sure what the error is referring to since the disk has plenty of space.

Message 4 of 15
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you try power cycling the router? 

How about unplugging and replugging the external drive?

By the way, use safely remove when unplugging when the router is turned on. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 5 of 15
Aspirant

Yes, I recycled the router.  I also plugged the USB dtrive directly into the laptop I was trying to restore to.  Also tried re-booting the PC.  Same error.

I found this (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Unable-to-Restore-a-Backup-Using-ReadyShare-...) from August of last year, seems to be the same problem .  I don't see any solutions, though, so any ideas would definitely be appreciated.

Message 6 of 15
Aspirant

Any thoughts on this?

Some additional info ... In the db_sys directory, Index.db.9 is 54 MB, and there is also an Index.db9-journal file that is 5 KB.  There are also hundreds of Index.tdb.nnn files that are all 21 KB.  In the main directory, files.db, gsbackup.dat and <some long name>.dat are all 0 bytes.  Are there any config files for the SQL

Again, while I'd love to be able to see all of the backed up files, my main goal is to be able to re-construct just one of them, Outlook.pst, from it's hundreds of updates.  If there's any way to just extract that, that would be great.

Message 7 of 15
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I don't think you can extract specific files you want. 

Have you tried factory reset on the router? 

What's the model number of the NETGEAR device?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 8 of 15
Aspirant

Thanks, but the router is not the problem.  I have the exact same issue whether the hard drive with the backup is plugged into the router or directly into a PC.  From the error message, the problem is the embedded SQL Lite database in the Vault software, and maybe the .db file that was written by the backup.  Is there some way to debug this?

Message 9 of 15
Aspirant

Meant to add that the router is the R7000 (Nighthawk AC 1900 Smart Wifi Router).  But again the issue is the Vault software, not the router.

Message 10 of 15
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@paulwg How long have you had the router? 

I know that it's not the router but I would like to check the warranty of the unit so please register it.

Also, can you try a different USB drive to verify if the new Vault beta is working? 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 11 of 15
Master

Tested restore routine before? Or OP just kept becking up? At least you should've run restore test.

Also you did a image back up?

Message 12 of 15
Aspirant

No, never tested restore before, and I haven't done a simple image backup since setting up the Vault backups.  I could see that it was backing up all of the other files, so I knew I had good copies of those, but I just didn't realize it was doing something different with the one large .pst file.  Lesson learned.

So is this file really not recoverable?  Is there any way to get the Vault software to apply all of the updates to it?

Message 13 of 15
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@paulwg Maybe support team can help you figure it out. 

Can you register your unit and let me know once done.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 14 of 15
Aspirant

OK, I just registered the product. Thanks.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements