× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readyshare external harddrive SMB1 error

cbren
Follower

Readyshare external harddrive SMB1 error

I have connected an external hardrive. I followed the instructions in the manual to "Access a USB Drive Connected to the Modem Router From a Windows-Based Computer"... Start > Run - Enter \\readyshare. Then, I got this error, "You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack…"

I've tried searching online and it looks like this is an issue with the router running the older, unsafe, SMB1 protocol. Is that correct?

Can anyone help me connect to the external drive in Windows 10? 

Thanks!

CB

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 2
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Readyshare external harddrive SMB1 error

Hi cbren,

Good day!

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

First of all, we do apologize for the inconvenience of not getting back to you immediately due to the backlog in the system. Do you still have the same issue? Due to Windows update, some features including SMBv1 protocol have been affected. Please go to this link for the workaround:

https://thegeekpage.com/cant-connect-to-file-share-obsolete-smb1-protocol-in-windows-10/

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7