Readyshare transfer speed problems.

gbo1982
Novice

Readyshare transfer speed problems.

I'm getting really low transfer speeds when copying too and from my readyshare USB drives. I can only get 8 MB/s while copying from my \\readyshare drive to my laptop and vice versa and I can only get 2.50 MB/s when copying from one \\readyshare drive to another \\readyshare drive. One of the main reason I bought this router was for its ability to share a USB drive over a wireless network. I didn't expect such a pathetic low transfer speed as it says in the manual 450Mbps transfer speed. Can anyone please help make my transfer speeds faster? My drives are NTFS and I'm not willing to format to another file system.

Scientific Atlanta WebSTAR epc2100 modem -> Netgear WNDR4500 Router -> Netgear WNDA4100 USB Network Adapter
Message 1 of 6
Scubbie
Apprentice

Re: Readyshare transfer speed problems.

The speeds that you are getting appear to be the same with the other Netgear routers.

The slowest appears to be the DGND3700, but there could be another which is slower.

Apart from hardware issues, it is unlikely that you would ever achieve the full 480Mbps (60MBps). The router is accessing the drive via the USB port and USB interface and depending on the product specifications, the speed will be reduced a little.

Next WiFi will further reduce any transfer rate, depending on the interference level.

In practise I found that i could happily stream 1080p video content from a drive to a system connected via Ethernet cable and a Laptop connected via WiFi on my DGND3700. However if you are looking for something with more umph, then I would suggest that you consider a dedicated NAS drive.
Message 2 of 6
gbo1982
Novice

Scubbie wrote:
The speeds that you are getting appear to be the same with the other Netgear routers.

The slowest appears to be the DGND3700, but there could be another which is slower.

Apart from hardware issues, it is unlikely that you would ever achieve the full 480Mbps (60MBps). The router is accessing the drive via the USB port and USB interface and depending on the product specifications, the speed will be reduced a little.

Next WiFi will further reduce any transfer rate, depending on the interference level.

In practise I found that i could happily stream 1080p video content from a drive to a system connected via Ethernet cable and a Laptop connected via WiFi on my DGND3700. However if you are looking for something with more umph, then I would suggest that you consider a dedicated NAS drive.

Thank you for replying.

What type of speeds will I get from a NAS drive?
Message 3 of 6
Scubbie
Apprentice

gbo1982 wrote:
What type of speeds will I get from a NAS drive?

Depending entirely on your setup, speed will vary but at the same time you should be able to achieve much better connections.

I don't have a top of the range computers, but I am able to achieve the following:

Main Laptop: Over 300mb WiFi: copying a single file at around 12MB/s (95mbps). Windows Task Manager showed my connect working at around 35-40%.

On a Desktop PC with a 1Gbit port, I can copy files to the NAS at a rate of up to 500mbps, but typically I get around 350-400mbps.

I have two NAS drives now. The contents are streamed over multiple 3TB drives.

I have found firewalls and AV software choice can make a huge impact on the speed. Also the particular Desktop isn't top of the range and struggles when I start copying two or more files from the same drive.

If I copy a file from an External USB drive on the PC to the NAS it works at no more than 250mbps.
Message 4 of 6
squiggie
Novice

Enable FTP (non-internet) on the readyshare device and transfer that way. Speeds are much better.
Message 5 of 6
rio972
Aspirant

I had the same problem on the WNDR 3700.
Formatting your USB Drive to EXT3 improved the performance a lot (by some 30-40%).
It seems that NTFS is the worst solution.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements