fearz
Aspirant

Really disappointed

I'm using this supposedly very high-end router by Netgear, It's placed in the middle of the house and the WIFI range is quiete disappointing.

This was a replacement of my DG834GV3 modem router...

using the old router was almost impossible to reach each ends of my house....now using this router i get Very poor reception...is that what you call Ultimate range?

I tried disabling the 5Ghz radio...maybe it was consuming much power...and nothing changed.

Tried to change the channel from Auto to 11...still the same...

and how the He** you announce you have the wireless guest feature where i can find it NO WHERE!???

Another thing I noticed..I downloaded an app to my MacBook called Network Strength....If i am JUST next to the router, it never exceeds 70%

Is that normal??

One final thing, I mainly bought that router hoping to find a WOL/Wake on LAN/Internet feature, that is a $200 router, how come it wouldn't have that feature?

Would anyone confirm it has it or not???
Message 1 of 12
herrmo
Aspirant

Re: Really disappointed

is firmware v1.0.0.68 installed on your R6300?

There should be a new firmware soon with guest network and higher transmission power/ range.

Make sure that the latest drivers of your wifi card are installed.

Maybe the latest firmware with guest network is ready, but not approved for release yet. You can try to contact Netgear support and ask if they can send you the firmware. I can't because of NDA.

This is an user forum here. You can always mail to the support
Message 2 of 12
fearz
Aspirant

I have the latest firmware installed and I'm using MAC machines so I have the latest drivers,

I bought this router from the US but I live in Egypt, I called US suppprt they said I need to contact support in Egypt, contacted Egypt and they said we don't have this router here! What a company!

This is the company official forum and I demand support from the guys here!
Message 3 of 12
mediatrek
Virtuoso

fearz wrote:
I have the latest firmware installed and I'm using MAC machines so I have the latest drivers,

I bought this router from the US but I live in Egypt, I called US suppprt they said I need to contact support in Egypt, contacted Egypt and they said we don't have this router here! What a company!

This is the company official forum and I demand support from the guys here!

Sadly, like most tech companies you will only get support from the country of purchase origin and you also have to be residing / calling from the country you purchased it in. I live in update NY and work sales in a electronics store. Folks from Canada come in frequently I always warn them that if they want support ot have a warranty claim that they have to be calling from within the USA and/or have a mailing address in the USA that is not a P.O. Box. Usually once a week I get someone calling the store from Canada telling them they were warned at time of purchase and that support for a product comes from the manufacture. We will offer support at an additional charge.

The Netgear “support” forum” is user-based. Netgear does not offer official representation on the forum. Being a new tech product (also based on a new draft WiFi standard), the first 3 to 8 months will defiantly be “beta” testing in terms of firmware and working out issues with the R6300 and I feel most 802.11ac routers.

The R6300 really was meant for improved performance/range in the 5Ghz frequency. Personally I ALWAYS have bad range/performance with most Broadcom-based routers. I had better range & throughput with the Atheros-based WNDR3800 and WNDRMacv2 than the Broadcom-based WNDR4500 unit.

I wish I could help you, but I am staying clear of all 802.11ac routers untill they get at least half way through the early draft phases. There was a timeline on this from the standards board. I think that would be like late 2014.
Message 4 of 12
Cybercare
Aspirant

Please update to FW .90 on support site.

It resolves range issues.

A newer FW will be released in next week or two to address other issues identified and/or created with this FW.

Also, these routers have went through a lot of FW testing, one of the most I have seen in some time and are still heavily actively being worked on.

Currently we have multiple branches of FW even to help resolve different issues but we are on the right track and expect most if not all known issues to be resolved soon.

No additional information can be provided at this time but be aware these are known issues that are being resolved very shortly.
Message 5 of 12
Ephone
Tutor

fearz wrote:

and how the He** you announce you have the wireless guest feature where i can find it NO WHERE!???

There is a new firmware version 1.0.2.10 which support Guest Network available at http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20866
Message 6 of 12
Ephone
Tutor

For WIFI performance, are you mentioning signal strength, link rate, or throughput?

What is the distance between your wireless client and the router? What are the link rate as well as signal strength you see on the adapter’s GUI or on Windows Wireless Network Connection window when you feel the performance is not good?

What is the router’s wireless mode on 2.4 GHz (54/217/450)? What is your wireless security settings?

Are you in the crowded wireless network? Approximately how many wireless signals around?

Did you try inSSIDer to check the signal strength for R6300 and DG834GV3?
Message 7 of 12
wickedneurons
Aspirant

fearz wrote:
One final thing, I mainly bought that router hoping to find a WOL/Wake on LAN/Internet feature, that is a $200 router, how come it wouldn't have that feature?

Would anyone confirm it has it or not???

I agree with you 100%. Coming from dd-wrt, it's really disappointing to find that this very simple feature is missing...
Message 8 of 12
Apexhunter
Novice

I too am sadly disappointed with Netgear R6300. I paid $200 for a router that is not even as good as the $60 TP-Link router I had before.. I have had NOTHING but problems ever since installing this device. T

he router drops the internet connection several times a day, sometimes several times an hour. I must turn the router off, wait 15-20 seconds turn it on and wait another minute until it kicks in and works. My wife has her office not 30 feet away and constantly complains of wireless dropped signal and spooling problems.

I also have an external hard drive attached and can only read from the drive cannot copy files to it any longer, evidently I don't have permission.

Like the others I've tried everything with no luck. Yes, I have the latest firmware, that was the first thing I did when I got the system setup.

I have a few more days to "screw around" with this router before I can return the router to the store for a refund, which is looking more and more like the only solution I have now.
Message 9 of 12
NetgearJohn
Aspirant

I have a R6300 which is less than 6 months old and now the firmware is corrupted. Luckily I kept my old Linksys which I now have up and running. I have been unable to get any support from Netgear which enables me to reinstall firmware in the R6300. I have followed up with another ticket today. If I cannot find and execute a solution successfully within 24 hours, I will buy a new router (not Netgear) and junk Netgear's "trash" R6300!
Message 10 of 12
NetgearJohn
Aspirant

I have a R6300 which is less than 6 months old and now the firmware is corrupted. Luckily I kept my old Linksys which I now have up and running. I have been unable to get any support from Netgear which enables me to reinstall firmware in the R6300. I have followed up with another ticket today. If I cannot find and execute a solution successfully within 24 hours, I will buy a new router (not Netgear) and junk Netgear's "trash" R6300!
Message 11 of 12
idog
Aspirant

First off, I spent allot of money on this R6200v2 Smart router since I wanted to use it everywhere in my house. It did that for about 3 to 4 months. After that, it stopped working in my one room. So tech support said they could fix the problem, but I would need to supply my credit card information first. I asked why, and they said it was out of warranty. He said, ”The cost for one year would be $79. If I could fix the problem, your credit card would not be charged.” Reluctantly, I gave him my credit card info (I’m laid off from my job and barley living on unemployment). He fixed the issue, and then said, “You can choose from one year of service at $129.99 or two years at $179.99.” I asked what happened to if you fix it, I don’t pay anything? He repeated the different costs. I asked what happened to the $79 option. He replied,” There are only two options ma’am, one year for $129.99 and two years for $179.99.” I said, you said there was a $79 option, plus you said it would be free. His reply was, “After a one or two year fee, it is free.”

First, it never should have stopped working in my one room in only four months. And second, I shouldn’t have to PAY for a service contract for something that should STILL be in working condition after four months! I am NEVER buying a Netgear router again. And I am posting my experience on social media.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements